PDA

View Full Version : So close to running right! HELP!

obsolete
03-21-2009, 12:40 AM
I have one problem I need to figure out for my s14 SR! It's got FMIC, and tomei tuned ecu for 10-15psi but running stock boost for now.

On cold starts, it runs rich and lot of white smoke out the tailpipe. Once it warms up, it stops. happens everytime. what could cause this?

The car runs fine minus a tapping noise, but that's on the intake side if there was something wrong with the valve or lifters.

any ideas?

also, there is a slight hesitation every few seconds. the coilpack test by pulling them out was good. the resistance was 2 ohms on all of them. should be 1 ohm, but maybe my meter is broken because the CTS was 3 ohms and i believe that's suppose to be 2 ohms?

Sileighty_85
03-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Check ECU for codes

Coolant temp sensor probably need replacing (Two Prong one for ECU)
Dont trust the Stock Temp Gauge it is shit

Rise front of car, turn on Heater, run engine to bleed all air out of system

are you sure PS was bubbling? the System recirces back into the resivor so the fluid will appear to be bubling but its not

(ve been drinking so my spelling probably sucks, no i dont have F.F.) (PC sucks)

obsolete
04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
after some researching, it sounds like an injector or valve problem.

if the o-rings on the injectors were done, would it operate differently when cold or warmed up?

how about valve seals?

it only does it on cold starts. engine idle after warmed up there is no smoke.

s14unimog
04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
coil pack problems usually aren't evident until you come into boost; so if its breaking up then, I would suspect those. As for the top end concern, you could always do a leak down test. As for the ticking, what you wrote doesn't make sense, so you either have an exhaust leak, your just hearing the injectors fire, air in your lifters, or maybe low oil pressure.

are you sure PS was bubbling? the System recirculates back into the reservoir so the fluid will appear to be bubbling but its not

how did you get on PS?

if the o-rings on the injectors were done, would it operate differently when cold or warmed up?
Not usually, but it couldn't hurt to check them; if you suspect they could be warn or damaged

how about valve seals?
your head goes through a lot of heat cycles, so if you had a leak there, it COULD change with temperature

it only does it on cold starts. engine idle after warmed up there is no smoke.
Are you sure that's not fuel mixed with some condensation? If its an oil leak, you're probably going to have to wait until it gets worse to source the problem accurately

garagelu
04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
if a injector o ring was pinched and fuel was flooding past it, it would flood that cylinder. Then it probably would gas foul the plug causing it to misfire.

obsolete
04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
how did you get on PS?

I had something about PS, but edited it because it was irrelevant and cluttering the post.

It dose run very rich and my rear bumper by the exhaust is black and have a test pipe.

The tapping noise comes from under the valve cover in the very front. Sounded like it's more toward the intake side. that is what i meant. have a vid clip here http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/247527-help-me-tapping-noise-video-inside.html

s14unimog
04-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I'd put money on that being your timing chain hitting the upper guide. Pull the VC and remove it. Also replace that ECU coolant sensor. Its the two wire one, like sileighty said, and is only $20 bucks or so, from Auto Zone.

That explains the PS statement