PDA

View Full Version : s14 overheating issue

Ikant
03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
I recently replaced my radiator because it exploded. the car was overheating and im sure the pressure was too much. I replaced the thermostat thinking that might have been the problem, but it wasnt, car kept overheating with new radiator and thermostat. I removed the thermostat and car is still overheating. I am thinking it might be the waterpump, but i was wondering if it could have something to do with the fan. I can drive on the freeway for hours and the guage wont move above "normal", even if the a/c is on. When i drive through town, once it gets warm it overheats when i sit at a light. When i start driving again, temp goes back down. Any ideas? should i replace the water pump? could it be the clutch fan? I bled the system multiple times, im sure it could still be a bleeding issue, but was looking for feedback. I read several other threads but found nothing on the fan issue. thanks.

JRas
03-16-2009, 07:06 PM
inspect the clutch fan..

godsmack
03-17-2009, 03:24 PM
def. the fan. get some dual electric fans and problem solved. or just go and get a replacement clutch fan.

DALAZ_68
03-17-2009, 03:28 PM
sounds like a pump issue to me...replace both...its like 60 bucks for both parts and do the labor yourself...learn something

nzmoman
03-17-2009, 03:34 PM
also make sure you are properly bleeding ALL the air out of the system. You will need to use the bleeder valve.

also if you let your car run with the radiator cap off you will get an idea as to whether or not your pump works. If it does not work after about 5-10 minutes at idle then it probably needs to be replaced.

DALAZ_68
03-17-2009, 04:07 PM
If it does not work after warm up about 5-10 minutes at idle then it probably needs to be replaced.

there you go, fixed it a bit

reaxion
03-17-2009, 05:38 PM
lift up the front end of your car while running the car w the radiator cap off (trust me) air in the system can cause the exact same symptoms you are describing.

if it IS a water pump issue, youd see coolant coming out the weephole, but you might as well replace it since you did your radiator and thermostat.

fan clutch COULD be bad, itd help though if you knew anyone that had access to a CONSULT then you could see if it was actually kickin on after reaching operating temp

godsmack
03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
umm come on guys he blead the rad. already it's not the pump since it would heat up all the time not when just sitting there. fans are designed to only have to work when the air needs to get pulled through the radiator. so verdict in = change fan.

WoolyS14DET
03-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Yes fan clutch is junk !! Replace it and end of story

Ikant
03-19-2009, 10:26 AM
thanks for the feedback, ill try the fan. if that doesnt work, water pump.

newslidz
03-19-2009, 03:55 PM
ok I also had similar problem it could sit and idle fine though everything seemed fine till i drove for a while and then it would get hot when i went through traffic. so I replaced the thermostat water pump radiator and still overheating so I was PISSED so then i went throught the system and yanked the heater hoses off the firewall flushed the system everything seemed fine on the engine side then i hooked up the hose to the heater core and nothing so i bypassed it and ive been fine since so check that also i think the winter killed it.

VMP
03-19-2009, 04:22 PM
ok I also had similar problem it could sit and idle fine though everything seemed fine till i drove for a while and then it would get hot when i went through traffic. so I replaced the thermostat water pump radiator and still overheating so I was PISSED so then i went throught the system and yanked the heater hoses off the firewall flushed the system everything seemed fine on the engine side then i hooked up the hose to the heater core and nothing so i bypassed it and ive been fine since so check that also i think the winter killed it.

punctuation plzzzzzz?