PDA

View Full Version : Glass Window Alternatives (HELP)

HungryHank
03-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Well I have my track car and it had no Glass when I got it.

I was debating whether to get new class or custom make some.

What material could be used for the qp and rear window?

lexan - too expensive

plexiglass ??

Im not looking for something that will last forever or anything, I just want a cheap alternative that won't scratch.

GSXRJJordan
03-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Well I have my track car and it had no class when I got it.

Haha but it has class now? Took it to charm school?

Sorry, had to.

If lexan's too expensive, you're looking at some junkyard glass then... it's all expensive. Oh, and everything besides glass scratches.

aoiken3
03-13-2009, 01:24 AM
if you're looking for cheap, then your local junkyards are your friend. and if you want it to have class, get a fusa for it. lol

gotspins13
03-13-2009, 01:50 AM
my coupe had a quarter panel window broken, i went to my local lowes and got some plexi glass cut it out and put it in the put a little detail into it, after i got done it looked like a stock window untill you knocked on it of course, at the end i spent maybe a total of 10$$

tramp_drift240
03-13-2009, 02:05 AM
i vote plexi. its the best alternative.

and by the way, even real glass scratches. i used a spare license plate once to scrape ice off my windshield, and it definitely left marks. keep that in mind.

bejota180sx
03-13-2009, 09:33 AM
i vote plexi. its the best alternative.

and by the way, even real glass scratches. i used a spare license plate once to scrape ice off my windshield, and it definitely left marks. keep that in mind.

no shit sherlock use a metal object to scrape a glass surface and it scratched who would have thought...

dori_sil8t
03-13-2009, 10:05 AM
i vote classy glass. unless u take ur time with plexi glass which by ur i wanna do this on the cheap it wont look good
just my two loonies

ixfxi
03-13-2009, 10:30 AM
acrylic and lexan will get fucked quick

oe glass will not. though, glass can still be scratched (try sandpaper if youre curious)

go OE

HungryHank
03-13-2009, 11:43 AM
I was thinking about riveting some plexiglass for just the quarter panel windows and

just keep the rear window oe glass.

If the plexi, doesnt look good I will just throw it out and get class.

thanks for the input, guys

corey240
03-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Yea I told my friend to clean my window last winter with a chunk of snow. So he grabs a chunk of snow, full of salt and scratched the fuck out my brand new windshield. Now mine is cracked, 3rd windshield in this thing. Damn wind and vandals!

I wana put lexan for my quarter windows in my car (s14), so what thickness should I use for plexiglass. My friend works at lowes so I got a hookup. If I dont like it i will put the glass back in. Would just rivetting and window sealer make it seal ok? Its my daily/track car.

S14DB
03-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Don't use plexi. It shatters almost like plate glass. Don't want that shit slicing you up.

HungryHank
03-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Don't use plexi. It shatters almost like plate glass. Don't want that shit slicing you up.

I was thinking about putting a clear type of tape sort of like " tint " but with no color to keep it together just incased it smashed.

S14DB
03-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I was thinking about putting a clear type of tape sort of like " tint " but with no color to keep it together just incased it smashed.

Only works with tempered glass. Unless you get 3M stormsheild. Which costs as much as real glass. Tint grade will be torn easily by the plexi.

Get a sheet of plexi and with protective gear fold it over until it shatters and ask yourself if you want that flying at you in a crash.

Real glass or acrylic/lexan are your only choices. Junkyard glass is going to be cheaper then lexan and last a lot longer too.

ixfxi
03-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Get a sheet of plexi and with protective gear fold it over until it shatters and ask yourself if you want that flying at you in a crash.

Real glass or acrylic/lexan are your only choices. Junkyard glass is going to be cheaper then lexan and last a lot longer too.

haha being that i work with plastics, i can agree and say there is NO way in hell i'de run acrylic.

frankly, i wouldnt run anything but stock..

HungryHank
03-13-2009, 08:30 PM
ok ill just go junkyard shopping, thanks.