PDA

View Full Version : Ball join trick

510-SR20DET
03-09-2009, 01:28 AM
okay so i tried to install the 5lugs for my 180sx today. i took the bottom ball join out, and now i cant put it back in. The whole ball join keep spinning when i try to tighten down the nut. Do any of you know the trick to this to hold the ball join in place while i tighten down the nut?? i dont want to replace my ball join/nut.

Sileighty_85
03-09-2009, 05:24 AM
why did you take it out? are you using S14 hub assembly? if so you need to use an S14 balljoint.

here what i did to install mine

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/IMG_1758.jpg

projectRDM
03-09-2009, 09:28 AM
okay so i tried to install the 5lugs for my 180sx today. i took the bottom ball join out, and now i cant put it back in. The whole ball join keep spinning when i try to tighten down the nut. Do any of you know the trick to this to hold the ball join in place while i tighten down the nut?? i dont want to replace my ball join/nut.

Threads are damaged. Take it off the spindle and chase the threads while holding the joint itself with a pair of pilers down below the threaded portion. Did you hit the joint itself to remove it? You may have even crowned it enough to be unusable.

druthafoo
03-09-2009, 09:48 AM
I know you dont want to replace em... but theyre probably pudding by now anyways right? So it might be a good idea to replace em while you can, unless you dont have money :/.

Touge180sx
03-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Threads are damaged. Take it off the spindle and chase the threads while holding the joint itself with a pair of pilers down below the threaded portion. Did you hit the joint itself to remove it? You may have even crowned it enough to be unusable.

Not always the case, Sometimes they just wont fully tighten. If you can use air impact wrench or whatever, Dont over tighten it though. You can also use a prybar and apply pressure to the knuckle/spindle and this usually works also, But if the threads are damaged then you should just replace the ball joint.

initial_drifter
03-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I forget if 240's had the allen hole on top of the bolt

The ball joint when pushed up will usually be enough clamping force to tighten it down.

If it still spins, it's more than likely that the joint itself is done

ps. why use something that'll need replacing again in the near future?

Marc240
03-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Why did you take the ball joint out? If your just swaping hubs all you needed to do was rotate the axle back and forth so you can fit the 17mm socket to loosen the 4 back bolts.

aznpoopy
03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
the joint is done and needs to be replaced.

i had to rock a bad balljoint for a week so i went through this before. if you really want to get it on, force down the boot and get some vice grips on it under the nut while you tighten the top down with a ratchet. when you thread it down low enough move the vice grip to top side and finish tightening it with a wrench

but yeah, really you should just replace the balljoint.

ixfxi
03-09-2009, 12:39 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/IMG_1758.jpg

too hard to use a press, eh?

jeez.

Bigsyke
03-09-2009, 12:54 PM
The ball joint is good, you just need to place a jack underneath the ball joint and tighten. This happens every time to me.

510-SR20DET
03-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Why did you take the ball joint out? If your just swaping hubs all you needed to do was rotate the axle back and forth so you can fit the 17mm socket to loosen the 4 back bolts.

i had to cause i was installing the z32 e-brake also and i need to bang the 27mm bolt in place.

the ball join is good, not broken seal/boot, the thread is good also. just that this thing is 20years old and its hella sticky. you know how it is w/ old ass nut and bolt.

loveskylines
03-09-2009, 02:31 PM
ball joints are overrated....u dont need them... just take it off and use it for a shift knob

510-SR20DET
03-09-2009, 05:12 PM
ball joints are overrated....u dont need them... just take it off and use it for a shift knob

Go do something useful in your life!

Anyway, i did it guys. What i did was i use the combo of jack and strut. I use the strut to compress it down while the jack compress it up. 2500 lbs of compression makes the ball join stay in place while i tighten the nut down.

Sileighty_85
03-09-2009, 05:53 PM
too hard to use a press, eh?

jeez.

Haha I wish, didnt know where to find one at the time I had just moved to that town.

It was rainy and had no transportation , and just scrounged around the garage until i came up with this concoction, definatly ghetto but worked like a charm though hahaha