PDA

View Full Version : t3 on sr???????

BBSHT240
03-10-2003, 08:45 AM
I managed to grab a complete t3 off a saab 9000 turbo this weekend for $50 like new. Does any one know if any one has a upgrade for this that will allow me to use it on my SR to make 300-350 HP? Any ideas on what it would do for me just building a manifold and installing? or is it just ebay material? any suggestions would be great.

Foxcolt
03-10-2003, 09:04 AM
I know a guy that put that turbo on a ka. he got about 250rwhp at 10 psi if I remember correctly. But that turbo was too small for a 2.4

Sr "might" be a different story. I don't know of anyone who's tried that combo. I don't think you'll reach your hp figures with that turbo as the straight t3 isn't all that much bigger than your t25.

Best way to bolt it would be to cut and reweld a t3 flange. Or find a t25 to t3 flange and bolt it on. Your gonna have to make custom lines and you might have to reclock the turbo so the compressor outlet faces the right direction. Not to mention redoing intercooler pipes.

AKADriver
03-10-2003, 11:01 AM
Yep... pretty much a waste of time.

There's no such thing as a junkyard turbo that's going to be sized correctly for big power and decent spoolup. The Saab 9000 turbo had a 2.3L four with 200hp. About all I'd use that turbo for is a low-boost KA+T.

DuffMan
03-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Well you might find a nice t04 off a truck somewhere but yeah that turbo wont flow much more than stock.

A ford turbocoupe turbo might be a slight improvement.

AKADriver
03-10-2003, 01:08 PM
The T-bird Turbocoupe made 190hp.

Big truck turbos can flow a lot of air, but they would take F O R E V E R to spool on a small engine, if they spooled at all.

Turbo sizing is very complex - the only way you'd find a good turbo for a 350hp 2.0 four in a junkyard is if some car company actually made a 350hp 2.0 four! Good luck finding a Lancer Evo or WRX STi turbo at Crazy Ray's :p

BBSHT240
03-10-2003, 01:10 PM
I hear you on that.

litlespic
03-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Nope, the 2.3 fords and 2.3 saabs have the same t3's and 87-88 intercooled turbocoupes had IHI's which are smaller than the t3's but made 225hp...

wherezmytofu
03-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by litlespic
Nope, the 2.3 fords and 2.3 saabs have the same t3's and 87-88 intercooled turbocoupes had IHI's which are smaller than the t3's but made 225hp... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....NO, please get more information beofer u post crap like that, this post is amazingly filled with people with half-ideas trying to pull crap together, the garrett turbo on the 2.3 ford svos & thunderbirds are t03's, also know as super t3's they have a .60 compressor a/r, which will support 300-400, that turbo is the best one and is a junkyard turbo that is worth it :slap: all of u!

litlespic
03-11-2003, 09:05 AM
Ohh sorry, you are right.. super t3's.. being as some come with .48's!!!!! so are they super .48 t3's too????

We know what a super 60 and super 70 is and trust me, ford didnt put these on stock turbofords....

You might have found a super 60 or 70 t3 on a turboford because it is a REALLY easy mod for more hp's but they didnt come stock with them.. or else Iw ould be a thousandaire off of junkyard turbos.. super t3's are a gold mine on ebay.. and I know where dozens of freking turbofords are...

wherezmytofu
03-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by litlespic
Ohh sorry, you are right.. super t3's.. being as some come with .48's!!!!! so are they super .48 t3's too????

We know what a super 60 and super 70 is and trust me, ford didnt put these on stock turbofords....

You might have found a super 60 or 70 t3 on a turboford because it is a REALLY easy mod for more hp's but they didnt come stock with them.. or else Iw ould be a thousandaire off of junkyard turbos.. super t3's are a gold mine on ebay.. and I know where dozens of freking turbofords are... actually they did, i ahve removed 3 off them in junkyards...i actually go to junk yarsd and grap them so i know..they were stock, not all t03's r ,60 a/r bu most r, just look on the compressor housing and all garrett turbos on the svo is .60 t3

litlespic
03-11-2003, 01:02 PM
why do you keep bolding stuff?

not all turbofords are SVO's.. and not all turbofords came with super 60's.. unless a t3 60 is a "super" just because...

---TurboXR4Ti

Crazy Poster
Member # 1131

Member Rated:
posted 08-30-2002 02:33 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
60 Trim is the compressor wheel. It simply is the size of the actual compressor wheel itself (Inducer and exducer). a 40 trim compressor wheel is smaller, and flows less than a 60 trim. The stock 60 trim is the largest t3 compressor wheel you can get, unless you go with a "super 60" which is slightly larger. .48 is not a trim, but the size measurment of the housing, as explained above. ----

and if you have more questions just go to www.turboford.org and search for super t3 and just keep asking your self.. "why does everyone say the stock t3 then say the super 60 as 2 different turbos?" .. but again, you are correct.. I would know nothing about 2.3's and the t3's they came with...

DuffMan
03-11-2003, 01:20 PM
On the turbocoupe both .60 and .48 a/r compressors were available STOCK.

I'm not sure what differentiated the two (I think one was manual and the other automatic). Also doing a little more research it seems that the .60's were not available on 83-84 motors, just the later ones. The fact remains they are available on turbocoupes and other ford turbos as well from the factory.

EDIT: Furthermore, the Saab turbos came with 40 and 45 trim wheels on their turbos. The difference in flow capability between a saab turbo and a .60 a/r ford turbo is about 100hp so I don't know how you can say they are the same. While fords might not have come with a "Super 60" stock the 60 trim .60 a/r ones are pretty much as good. Go here (http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps/fig4.html) and you can see that the compressor maps are almost identical.

litlespic
03-11-2003, 02:30 PM
Your right about the saab and ford turbo's not being the same.. sorry... BUT... turbofords DO NOT come with "super" 60... yes they are almost identicle... I think we are getting a little off topic... ace in the hold and jeff have both told me about getting off topic.. sorry guys..

I think the saab t3 would be good if you are looking for just a turbo add on.. but as soon as you port the intake manifold, get a NICE header, and get a 3" exhuast the t3 will be the bottleneck... it will work but it wouldnt be as good as a .60