PDA

View Full Version : Frozen and stripped lug nut in small space, how to remove?

tastyratz
03-07-2009, 03:41 PM
So,
I have Falken hanabi's with VERY tight lug nut holes. I had to get skinny lugs just to get them to fit. This is all fine and dandy until I run into my major problem... I have a mcguard locking lug nut that froze in place. The tool actually stripped out and now stripped the lug nut. I ordered a new one (for like 30 frickin bux) and stripped the new tool first try! I was being very careful but its already toast. All my other lugs came off -

Does anyone know how I could remove that lug nut WITHOUT damaging my wheels? I don't care if I kill the lug nut itself. I dont know if its safe to weld steel in that tight of a spot without screwing up the close aluminum...

Mangudai
03-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Pic? I'm assuming that you keep stripping keys but the actual lug nut is not stripped correct? How were talking trying to take it off? Air Tools? I had the same exact problem and I went to a shop that have a socket extension tool for it and all he did was stand up the wrench and his weight was able to loosen it up. The last resort would be to drill it out but from what I'm told its very time consuming and highly likely to damage your wheel if you have a tight clearance between the nut and the hole.

tastyratz
03-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Pitch black out no real good way to get pics. The lug nut itself is now stripped, key stripped the first time, second time I actually sheared the metal that sticks out right off the key.
This was actually trying to take it off using the lock tool, a short socket, and a long bar 1/2in wrench. I was very careful with how I applied pressure and even tried to keep pressure on the back of the socket to keep it seated. It is beyond frozen.

The mcgard locks are also fully round outside with the key internally - so I cant just use the trick where you smash on a smaller socket.

I think I am going to try welding anyways and just PRAY I dont damage my al wheels with slag and heat.

Mangudai
03-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Ahh I see. Did you spray it down before? You should always do so before trying to free it (lpb blaster for example). Someone suggested I weld something to it then pry it off but I didn't try that..could work I guess.

tastyratz
03-07-2009, 06:06 PM
yea, tried pb beforehand - no dice

MrMcgarrett
03-07-2009, 06:16 PM
The mcgard locks are also fully round outside with the key internally - so I cant just use the trick where you smash on a smaller socket.

I was just going to say to do that before I read your post lol
It's what I always do at the junkyards.
I usually do it with a breaker bar and pull it at an angle.

awesomenick
03-07-2009, 06:43 PM
At work we have a lug nut extractor tool, for when customers lose the wheel lock key.

If the holes are too small though, it wouldn't fit in.

http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/sft71226p.jpg

Just hammer those on and they come off usually.

s14_mike
03-08-2009, 05:57 AM
if the ^^^^ doesn't work take a drill with a sharp drill bit and drill the sucker out. Sure it's gonna take a lot of time, but your wheel wont be damaged, at least not with a steady hand, and then just replace stud and lug nut.

Folken
03-08-2009, 08:48 AM
i don't know if you have enough clearance but if you could get your hands on a air chisel it'd be easy to whip it off, just make sure your hitting it the right direction

luckky
03-08-2009, 09:50 AM
i don't know if you have enough clearance but if you could get your hands on a air chisel it'd be easy to whip it off, just make sure your hitting it the right direction

I agree!

if that doesnt work carefully air hammer the shit outta the lug itself untill you crack it and it falls off the stud! I do this at least once a month in the winter at my shop because those snap-on tools wont fit between the nut and the rim.

Good luck

yokotavia
03-08-2009, 11:28 AM
not sure what wheel you have, but if it has no centercaps, you can remove your hub, (has to have no centercap for removal of axle. then remove the 4 bolts on the back, and brake line, and you can lay the wheel facing the ground, and grind down the back of the stud that has the lug on it.

^^ this idea works in my head...
sounds right, and doable with no wheel damage.

maybe have clearence issues with the back of the rotor and the hub.

just trying to give u as many options as possible.

s14_mike
03-08-2009, 02:40 PM
^^^smart! that's probably your best bet right there.

TRU_DAH-V
03-08-2009, 03:09 PM
theres no way a 36mm socket will fit in a centercap hole.
I'd try the extractor tool or weld a key onto the lugnut.

yokotavia
03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
well if you cant get the axle nut off, remove the hole rear knuckle, remove the 4 bolts and the axle from the LSD SIDE and maybe you could slide it out enough to get a grinder to the back of the hub.....

definatly not going to damage the wheel if you can do that.

ixfxi
03-09-2009, 12:41 PM
very simple........ been there, done that.

take a socket just about the same size as the locking nut, but 1 step smaller. Hammer it on until it catches a groove. Remove as you would any bolt, just make sure its hammered on very securely.

I've done this to numerous locking lugnuts with no problems.