PDA

View Full Version : head lights not popping up...???????

koukidrifter21
02-22-2009, 11:48 PM
hey everyone, i got a problem with my headlights. i got a 1990 240 and the head lights wont come up when i hit the switch. the lights will come on but they dont go up, i have to manualy put them up.. ive checked all my fuses, i dont really know what else to do. it just randomly started doin this.. im stumped.. anyone?????

repda916
02-22-2009, 11:53 PM
hey everyone, i got a problem with my headlights. i got a 1990 240 and the head lights wont come up when i hit the switch. the lights will come on but they dont go up, i have to manualy put them up.. ive checked all my fuses, i dont really know what else to do. it just randomly started doin this.. im stumped.. anyone?????
check the grounds, and check fuses again.
Edit: and it could be a realay. or if i was you check the light switch by the steering wheel.

drifter_for_life06
02-22-2009, 11:57 PM
i have a similar probablem, but mine do come up, just not when i hit the switch. One is stuck up and wont go down, the other only comes up when I turn the headlights on. A while ago I determined part of the problem is the down side circuit in the motor is blown...so ill need a new motor for one. The other one i havent figured out yet, I'm assuming part of the circuit for the switch is broken

So to you, your circuits for the "up function" could be shot. Get a volt/amp meter and check it, or try to find a wiring schematic for your car...thats how I determined one of my problems.

Sileighty_85
02-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Motors and or Relays bad

DataXUnknown
02-23-2009, 02:45 AM
Try clicking your high beams, see if they go up. Mine glitches like that all the time

soreballz
02-23-2009, 02:59 AM
When I turn my headlights on with the switch, the lights illuminate, but they don't pop up anymore unless I flick the high beams or press the pop-up button. The problem is a broken connection in the headlight switch.
I don't mind though. It lets me leave my lights in the sleepy eye position with the lights ON. :keke:

koukidrifter21
02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
ok, ill check my relays.. but they dont pop up when i hit my high beams, they just illuminate...illl check it and get back with yall and let ya know how it goes.. thanks for the help guys.

cole d
06-26-2009, 03:20 PM
I having some issues with the same thing any updates

s13bert
02-25-2010, 07:39 PM
i'm having problems with my pop ups..i have to manually put them down..and when i turn the light switch they both pop up and one stays stuk in the up position, the other goes up and into lazy eye with out even pushing the pop up button..so i disconected the driver side motor and kept both up until i can figure out whats wrong..any help would be greatly appreciated..

Weedm
02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
If all the fuses are okay then your button is bad. The button to pop up your headlights is old and the electrical points are not touching anymore. I had the same issue. I just went to the junkyard and got another button and it worked.

s13bert
02-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Hey thanks Weedm, i'll try that out and hopefully it works, once again thank you...Oh but would i need just the button or all the cables too???

singlecamslam
06-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Alright bringing this back because i dont wanna start a new thread. So one of my pop lights doesnt go down, it just stays up. The motor is not bad because when i manually twist it, it will go down than back up and stay in the up position so its obviously working. Could it be the light switch in the car? BLAH i hate pop ups, they never seem to like me.

I LUV MY S13
06-12-2010, 04:20 PM
its the switch by the steering wheel

singlecamslam
06-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Damn this is like the 5th one with a bad switch, its either lights not coming on, lights not popping up, or something else. I usually fix it by bending the little strips than it usually works fine.

R_G
06-12-2010, 05:06 PM
I like designer stuff.

singlecamslam
06-12-2010, 05:25 PM
well i actually just took apart my switch and messed with it, didnt do anything. poop.

Walperstyle
06-12-2010, 05:49 PM
lol, highly technical.

3 ways to make them go up
1) turning on lights
2) flashing high beams when lights are off
3) pressing the button by the steering wheel

check grounds, and get a mulitmeter, if no power is getting there, then the problem is the signal. Not the motor. You can 'jump the motor if you have a piece of wire available to connect right to the battery or 12v power source. I've never seen two go out at the exact same time unless the car was struck by lightning. lol

True fix: silvia front conversion

singlecamslam
06-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I tried 1-3 and nothing. It wont go DOWN. When i manually make it go down it jumps back up and wont go down like theres something so interested up there. Yea.

Walperstyle
06-12-2010, 07:29 PM
yeah probably the button (or that circut)

singlecamslam
06-12-2010, 08:11 PM
The switch on the steering wheel? Or the button on the dash? Cause this problem is for only one of my headlights. Does the button control them individually? I dont think so right? Man i dont know i tried a lot of stuff today. I might just try to replace the switch for the heck of it.

underground_army
06-12-2010, 08:34 PM
last time i checked mine when it happen. (cut the brown wire and touched metal) i looked at the wiring harness. n saw a blue box behind the radio and it also controls the lights. so i changed that and it workd!! someone correct me if im wrong on what i posted maybe it was something else i moved.

Overboostedsr
06-13-2010, 08:20 PM
I had pretty much the same issue my lights would go up but not back down.. If I would flash the lights or hit the button on the console they wouldn't go back down.. I have a parts car so i interchanges the parts till it worked and it ended up being the Switch on the steering column

sd8ted
06-13-2010, 08:39 PM
kinda having the same prob...when i twist the light switch, my left headlight will pop up but the right one takes ~30seconds to come up afterward lol.

Toyboxx
06-13-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm somewhat having the same issue. Mine pop up with the switch or the flick of the highbeams, but they won't go down. I manually crank them down every morning. Doesn't bother me too much, it takes less than a min for me to crank them down.

But if anyone has any ideas what it could be that would be cool.

singlecamslam
06-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Ok i have a parts car with a good known switch, i'm gonna switch it out in a few days and report, guessing that will fix it. Will let you guys know.

singlecamslam
06-15-2010, 08:21 PM
just changed the switches and it did nothing. Wound the headlight down manually and it came up again 20 sec later. Should my next step be grabbing the multimeter?
Or is there a switch or something on the motor itself to tell the relay or whatever its down or up?

jonnybonds84
06-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Where are the relays located? Anyone have pics? Mine are stuck open, changed the button and cleaned up the steering column light switch and nothing.

singlecamslam
06-27-2010, 05:22 PM
relays are on the drivers side under the hood. Changed my motor headlights work now.

underground_army
06-27-2010, 06:07 PM
the relays are under the air filter you have to remove the air filter container to access them

jonnybonds84
06-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Got it, thanks. I think it's my relays, the motors are able to go up and down because I've seen them, the next step is the relays.

singlecamslam
06-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Mine went down so it looked like the motor worked, but replaced it, now it works like its supposed to.

jonnybonds84
06-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Was this to only one or two headlights? I think you mentioned previously it was only one. the reason I think it might be two is because both of mine are stuck open. Whacha think? Any one know how to test a relay properly?

Wes-s13
06-28-2010, 01:31 PM
i didnt read anyones post but if you replaced the motors,fuses,relays its your turn signal switch i learned this the hard way,i had my 240 for about year in half now and CHECKED EVERYTHING,and no luck on my pop ups, i took the switch off and cleaned it and still no luck,so last month i decide to go to the junk yard and find a turn signal/switch that looked new and i installed it and wa la (wink wink)

92se-r.
06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
1.change your light switch
2.check to see if any wires are cut on the pop out switch.
3.check your window motor's

just puting it out there.....i have fixed 4 s13's with this this problem

jonnybonds84
06-28-2010, 02:46 PM
What do you mean window motor? Your power window motor? If so does it matter what side?

miklos
07-04-2010, 04:57 AM
I have one headlight I must manually turn to bring it up. But it goes down with the lights off. I'm just going to put these on and forget the problem.
www.ilovebodykits.com/product/45039/89_94_Nissan_240SX_Twin_Halo_Conversion_Carbon_Fib er_Style_Headl.html (http://www.ilovebodykits.com/product/45039/89_94_Nissan_240SX_Twin_Halo_Conversion_Carbon_Fib er_Style_Headl.html)

fender-startocaster
05-14-2011, 01:13 PM
last time i checked mine when it happen. (cut the brown wire and touched metal) i looked at the wiring harness. n saw a blue box behind the radio and it also controls the lights. so i changed that and it workd!! someone correct me if im wrong on what i posted maybe it was something else i moved.

Unfortunately i touched brown wire with metal as well so i am going to try this. Before i tear apart my center console in search of this "blue box" has anyone done this? If so whats the blue box called? and is it literally located behind the radio?