PDA

View Full Version : Tachs for ka hardbodys

chickenmanq
11-05-2001, 02:19 PM
I don't know if anyone's going to care about this, but the thought crossed my mind.

As I've mentioned before, I have a 96 ka24e hardbody pickup.  It was a delivery truck in it's previous life and came with three guages total.  Fuel, temp, and speedometer.  This of course was exceptionally annoying.  

Rather than buying a whole new dash console, I decided to hook up a "regular" aftermarket tach.  This was really annoying too, and I spent a good day probing wires, and looking at big-dog electrical diagrams down at Tim's Auto Electric in Flag.  They're great guys.  Anyway, finally found the tach wire that's needed for those of you with that damned internal coil.  It's right off the condenser on the dist.  

If you want to hook up a tach, and have been trying to figure out the easy, cheap way, let me know, and I'll see if I can dig up a pic of where the wire is.  [email protected]

misnomer
11-05-2001, 05:44 PM
heheh, prolly not 'cause all 240s have a tach arready. My daddoo's '95 KA pickup had a tach too, but it was an XE (or whatever they call it)

chickenmanq
11-05-2001, 05:53 PM
Yeah, you're telling me.  I was so pissed when I was putting it in.  You'd think they'd just keep the instrument panel standard with all the guages.  It has all the wiring harnesses already in.  But oh no, people who drive trucks don't like to go fast, THEY don't need a tach.  If I had a Nissan suit at my house, I'd kick him for leaving that out.

BlueSix
11-05-2001, 09:50 PM
I had a 1989 Jeep Cherokee with no tach, and it was a 5 speed too.... DUMB!!.. It hauled ass too, 4.0 Liter inline six with around 190HP and somewhere around 190ft/lbs of torque...  Still not as fast as my 240 but plenty fast for a 16 year old learning to frive... =P