PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problems.... Part 2

lightsource
02-15-2009, 09:13 PM
1989 Nissan 240SX, SR20DET Engine & Transmission (To my knowledge)

I bought my car in January of 2008, the first night I got the car I apparently blew the clutch:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1668/sta72640nj9.jpg

I got it back the week after, my mechanic told me to take it easy on the clutch and sure enough I did. Come February 14th, 2009 I'm driving and as soon as I'm going into 2nd gear the clutch pedal just drops to the floor (same thing that happened the first time I busted the clutch). But my mechanic said that this time it's a different problem.

The 1st time, the clutch packs shattered
This time, we're not quite sure what the problem he hasn't had a look @ it yet. That comes tomorrow.

I got picked up but before we left, I checked everything hydraulically with the clutch: Master, Slave & Line. The Master Cylinder was empty but it wasn't leaking from anywhere (not even in the cabin behind the firewall), the line was fine, and the slave cylinder was what we thought was the problem because we poured brake fluid into the master cylinder and the fluid dripped. Well we put it up today and it turns out the entire fork was just loose, no tension whatsoever.

So my mechanic told me the throwout bearing is no longer in place and neither is the fulcrum pin/fork pivot.

Before this happened, I had a problem with my throwout bearing, about 6-8 months after my clutch busted and I got the new one put in. I started hearing a sound from my tranny when I would let off of the clutch pedal... Throwout bearing, now do you think the throwout bearing could have anything to do with this problem?

Tell me your thoughts.

And if I do have to get a new clutch:
Should I use the OEM Throwout Bearing or just use the one included with a new clutch?
Should I buy an OEM Replacement, Stage 1 or Stage 2 Clutch?
Should I replace the Pilot Bushing?
Should I resurface my flywheel while I'm down there even if my clutch isn't the problem?

Thanks in advance!!!

alkemyst
02-16-2009, 05:06 AM
I am thinking to find a new transmission guy. If you clutch master is empty, the fluid HAD to go somewhere.

For your questions
Are you doing high RPM dumps a lot or just normal day to day driving? The stronger the clutch the more legwork (usually) and the less lenient it is on bad shifts. The Exedy Stage 1 is cheap and great for something just a bit better than stock.

The throwout bearing is usually an OEM one...are the ones you are looking at appearing different?

Replace the pilot bushing, it's cheap

resurface the flywheel or replace it, esp if you broke your clutch at one point. This should be cheap also. Most of the job is the getting the trans back and then the clutch/pressure plate assembly.

Not all slave cylinders are equal. There have been many complaints of auto part store 'brands' failing quickly.

lightsource
02-17-2009, 03:20 AM
I am thinking to find a new transmission guy. If you clutch master is empty, the fluid HAD to go somewhere.

The fluid did go somewhere, like I said the fork completely came loose, so the slave cylinder had no pressure against it, and the fuel just dripped out.

For your questions
Are you doing high RPM dumps a lot or just normal day to day driving? The stronger the clutch the more legwork (usually) and the less lenient it is on bad shifts. The Exedy Stage 1 is cheap and great for something just a bit better than stock.

Yea I do a decent amount of High RPM stuff, I screw around a little with my welded diff. I actually have a stage 1 clutch from exedy, and my mechanic says that there's still a chance nothing's wrong with the clutch which I'm hoping on.

The throwout bearing is usually an OEM one...are the ones you are looking at appearing different?

Well, my mechanic replaced my throwout bearing from my old clutch with the one from Exedy, and I don't remember where I heard it from but I heard it was better to use the OEM one instead of any throwout bearing that comes with an aftermarket clutch kit. Opinion?

Replace the pilot bushing, it's cheap

Will do:squintd:

resurface the flywheel or replace it, esp if you broke your clutch at one point. This should be cheap also. Most of the job is the getting the trans back and then the clutch/pressure plate assembly.

Ahh alright cool. I'll do that too:squintd:

Not all slave cylinders are equal. There have been many complaints of auto part store 'brands' failing quickly.

Yea, I got 2 different ones, after we put the motor back in, I'll test to see how it's working... I may just replace it though.

lightsource
02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Alright,

So the tranny was taken off today and turns out that everything's fine. It was my damn fulcrum/pin/pivot. It just snapped off.

I bought the Nismo Fork Pivot about 5 months ago because I didn't know a damn thing about Cars so I had no idea where the pivot was supposed to be installed, so I had it sitting in my car for the length of time after I bought it. My car breaks down, we tow it and get it to the shop, and sure enough the very part that broke is the same one that I had in my car.

So while I was down there, I replaced my throwout bearing and the pivot and my clutch is in very good shape despite all of the downshifting and hard pulls to drift.

All problems sloved :) Thanks a lot!