PDA

View Full Version : Nissan 200SX SE-R Engine Rattle

Qbart
02-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Hello All,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I recently purchased a 1995 Nissan 200SX SE-R

Today I had the oil changed and they put in 5W30

I drove it around on the highway after the oil change, I also added a bottle of Guaranteed to Pass Emissions (http://www.crcindustries.com/crcwebcanada/Portals/0/canada/automotiveimages/75060b.jpg)fuel injector cleaner in the full gas tank. After I got home my wife went out to start the car a few hours later and it had this terrible rattle.

I just uploaded a video at Youtube, it may not be available for another few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoNuDBk3PuA

Again sorry if this is the wrong forum, if anyone could let me know a better place, thank you.

Also do you think this car is ok to drive to a mechanic about 5 miles?

What do you think this might be? V V T related? Oil related?

Thanks for any and all help!

Qbart

Specs:

2.0L
145,000 Miles

S14DB
02-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Did you check the dipstick to make sure they put the right amount in? They put the right weight in. What did you have in there before?

I'll wait on the video for final analysis.

Qbart
02-15-2009, 07:58 PM
I checked the oil and it is full, if anything maybe a little overfull.

I don't know what was used before I bought the car. I've only had this car for two days now!

I also don't know how to check what kind of oil was put in.

Video link is working now.

Thanks for looking into this.

S14DB
02-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Is it really that loud?

Does it change at all with RPM? On the video it sounds the same when you rev it up. No change in tone or speed when you rev it.

Qbart
02-16-2009, 05:48 AM
It does sound louder on the video, I guess my camera's microphone is pretty sensitive.

It doesn't seem to change at all with the RPM, which I thought was weird too?

To me it seems to be coming from under the front cover labeled "TWIN CAM 16 Valve".

S14DB
02-16-2009, 06:20 AM
All I can think is that it's the top chain guide rattling around after it broke off.

Go to the parts store and get a Valve Cover Gasket Kit. Will have the valve cover and 4 spark plug gaskets. Take the spark plug wires off and then unbolt the valve cover.

By the timing chain there is a guide that goes over the top. I bet this has broken off. Just make sure it hasn't damaged anything and remove it. It's a TSB item that doesn't do crap.

Take pictures if you have any questions.

Qbart
02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Well I found out today what was making the rattle sound. It was a bolt on the exhaust manifold that came loose.

Here are a couple pics.

http://ulberts.com/Pics/fullengarrow.JPG

http://ulberts.com/Pics/closeuparrow.JPG

I was very happy to find this out!

Thanks S14DB for all the suggestions.

S14DB
02-16-2009, 05:50 PM
But no exhaust leak?

Qbart
02-16-2009, 07:35 PM
I didn't even think of that, there was no smoke coming out or anything! I don't know how far that bolt goes in, I didn't take it out, I just tightened it.

Again, I'm not much of a mechanic, I don't even know why they would have a bolt like that there?

kithylin
04-18-2009, 11:44 PM
if you're wondering "They" put a bolt there, that's a second port for a second Oxygen Sensor, as required for california emissions. Since you're not in california, and thus only need one sensor, whom ever put the exhaust pipes on plugged the extra hole with a bolt. Those pipes you see coming down from the exhaust side of the motor, that's a 100% custom exhaust and NOT anything nissan put on there! Don't worry, it's a performance upgrade.

Also if you look at your first picture.. Look at where the oil dip stick goes, and then look One over to the right, you'll see one of the bolt-studs for where the pipes connect to the motor is missing a nut on that bolt, you might want to find one from your local hardware store and torque it on. any size really that fits those threads. It won't effect anything, really, other than possible exhaust leaks from that area by not being secured properly, it's just good to have it on there since you know, it's supposed to be there ;)