PDA

View Full Version : Direct gauge wiring

tre4s13
02-15-2009, 06:45 AM
By direct I mean, from the ecu's wire harness, is it possible to get my temp gauge and oil psi to work off the ecu wiring?

Might sound dumb, might get flamed....but fuck it =D

g6civcx
02-15-2009, 08:32 AM
By direct I mean, from the ecu's wire harness, is it possible to get my temp gauge and oil psi to work off the ecu wiring?

Please watch your language. There is no need.

Would "direct" be straight from the sensor to the gauge display? The way you described "direct" sounds like "indirect" because the signal has to travel to the ECU first.

Going by your description, I suppose you can tee the coolant temp signal and oil pressure signal (if your ECU monitors oil pressure).

Assuming you can do that, the problem then becomes how do you convert the data into something your gauge can understand and display correctly.

Sounds like you need to do research on the operating range of sensor data and how temp and pressure is represented as an electronic signal on the signal wire.

The best I can come up with is one of those OBD plug-in displays that can display your ECU parameters in real time.

tre4s13
02-16-2009, 09:21 PM
And by "direct," I meant from the engine harness side....the side that sends the signal to the ecu that goes to the instrument gauges.

g6civcx
02-16-2009, 10:26 PM
And by "direct," I meant from the engine harness side....the side that sends the signal to the ecu that goes to the instrument gauges.

Try again. The signal goes from the sensor to the ECU then to the instrument gauges?

Any hint on what car and engine this is or will we have to guess?

DDSR240
02-16-2009, 10:42 PM
sorry but the oil pressure idea wont work because most of the factory sensors only read if there is a lack of pressure not inbetween low and not low so you would have to replace the sensor with a wide ban one if thats the right word?

kevmeistah21
02-16-2009, 10:46 PM
i did this to my speed sensor to my speedo and it worked perfectly fine.

g6civcx
02-17-2009, 08:27 AM
sorry but the oil pressure idea wont work because most of the factory sensors only read if there is a lack of pressure not inbetween low and not low so you would have to replace the sensor with a wide ban one if thats the right word?

Correct, assuming KA of course. People always assume we know what engine is in their car simply because this is an S-chassis forum. I don't have an ECU in mine because mine is carbureted V8.

i did this to my speed sensor to my speedo and it worked perfectly fine.

The speed sensor signal is supposed to go to the speedo first. Then the speedo converts the VSS signal to a different digital signal and send the converted signal to the ECU for speed cut.

Of course this is assuming S cars. Who knows what you have.