PDA

View Full Version : Refreshing a KA24E....What needs done??? Help

jserman
02-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I have a SOHC KA that i will be pulling out of my car here soon..has some oil leaks and I just want to freshin it up...

is there anything you guys recommend doing while I have he motor out??? and don't say swap... thats not in the card right now...

I have heard of cam chain tensioner issues... should I look into that??

please let me know or point me in the right direction... thanks

R@ddy
02-11-2009, 05:42 PM
well the timing chain tensioner FOR SURE THING TO DO!
might want to get new bearings. Also bleed your lifters. Really simple but time consuming
new pistons/rings, have it get overbored .020 over if not just honed

mrmephistopheles
02-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm refreshing one, and so far I'm ~$500 into it.

New water pump, chain tensioner, chain guides, gaskets, assorted hoses and seals.

I'd say at LEAST do chain guides, tensioner, cap & rotor, and as many gaskets as you can easily get to. Do lower rad hose while the engine is out since it makes the job that much easier, and replace ALLLLL the vacuum lines.

Slack side chain guide:

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/7040/5825sy1.jpg

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/2667/5824zc8.jpg

jserman
02-11-2009, 09:16 PM
New water pump, chain tensioner, chain guides, gaskets, assorted hoses and seals.---- these are all on my list... just didn't want to miss anything else important...

I take it you guys just use OEM stuff for this???

unfuxwitable
02-11-2009, 09:40 PM
jserman thanks for making this post. i was wondering the exact question (about refreshing a kA24E) because i have a ka24e that hasnt been started in a year and i wanna make it a reliable daily driver. tell me how it goes!

mrmephistopheles
02-11-2009, 09:51 PM
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/1968/5823ee6.jpg

^_^

Ninjabread
02-11-2009, 09:54 PM
God, I could not fathom dropping that much money into a single cam :(

jserman
02-11-2009, 10:18 PM
no prob... I figured if I do it right the first time I don't ever have to worry about it again....lol

babowc
02-11-2009, 10:50 PM
rings, timing parts, rod and main bearings, headgasket and headbolts/studs.

everything else is basically regular maintenance.. like waterpump, tstat, oil pump, etc.

mrmephistopheles
02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
God, I could not fathom dropping that much money into a single cam :(

Most people look down on SOHCs as being inferior, but I don't subscribe to that viewpoint. For me, it's the stock engine on the 240sx, and for this particular chassis, I'm looking for it to be a nearly 100% stock car that is in very good condition. I have work to do on it like replacing the dash, carpet, engine (obviously), and it'll need a repaint eventually, but I want this car to be showroom fresh when I'm done with it. I could have swapped in a DOHC KA easily enough, but that's not what I want from this car.

Options13
02-15-2009, 12:39 AM
yeah i rebuilt my sohc, got everything machined, head rebuilt, new rings, all new gaskets, oil pump, water pump, thermostat.. ect.. cost about $900 total with discounts..

but i didn't bleed the lifters.. how do you do that? lol

unfuxwitable
02-15-2009, 03:33 AM
Get something sharp like a paperclip but stronger. stick the tip of the paperclip thing and in the end of the lifter to the other side to hit the release valve. then keep pressing it and it will slowly release oil. keep doing that till you can push down the tip with your finger.

correct me if im wrong, people...

quickshifter
02-22-2009, 01:30 PM
my once-cam just started knocking. time to rebuild. i got a spare motor to rebuild that way its just a weekend swap over. (i have many more things to swap out on my car also). So i found a complete engine rebuild kit on EBAY for $250. i know "you get what you pay for" but has anyone tried these kits? should i trust them? because i really cant afford OEM dealer parts, barely part-store items at that! lol. F*CK this economy.