PDA

View Full Version : Car turning/dipping while braking

Ailiaw
02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
When I brake semi hard from 40 mph + the car dips to the left and sort of turns, I can counter it by holding the steering wheel but it upsets the balance of the car. Any ideas what might be causing this?

SoguRacing
02-09-2009, 10:33 PM
check your springs on the front left as well as the shock assembly. they're probably bad.

Ailiaw
02-09-2009, 10:43 PM
check your springs on the front left as well as the shock assembly. they're probably bad.

The suspension is fairly new, I doubt that its from that.

I also swapped out all 4 wheels today and everything seemed to be in order in the suspension dept.

EDIT: I replaced the wheels today and noticed that two of the lug nut studs were loose, could this cause this?

Ceepo
02-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Brakes? maybe one caliper is grabbing harder then the other? pads good? warped rotors? not to sure, bleed your brakes and see what happens maybe one caliper has air bubbles in it and it is not grabbing evenly?

specialk2003
02-10-2009, 09:44 AM
I agree with Ceepo. Also, check your tension rod bushings, maybe one is totally shot.

ANVIL
02-10-2009, 11:48 AM
tie rods ok? when i was driving around with a bent tie rod my car would do that also

Ailiaw
02-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Brakes? maybe one caliper is grabbing harder then the other? pads good? warped rotors? not to sure, bleed your brakes and see what happens maybe one caliper has air bubbles in it and it is not grabbing evenly?

I checked all pads have plenty of life left in em and the rotors are not VISIBLY warped, but thats never a real indication. I'll try bleeding the brakes and checking the tie rods.

Will report back with results.

aziankingz
02-10-2009, 12:18 PM
i have the same issue.. might be my tension rods since the bushings are ripped up badly.. check those first.. also after driving a few minutes get out of your car and feel each wheel.. if one of t he wheel is hot then theres a problem with your calipers..might be seized.

SoguRacing
02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
a worn caliper won't make the car dip to one side. Most likely it's a suspension problem as stated above. Perhaps some bolts weren't tightened properly during suspension installation or bushing on the tension rods are shot.

smelly240
02-10-2009, 01:35 PM
It in fact is the tension rod bushings. I've seen it a number of times

midnightouge
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
I had the same problem, turned out that the bolt on the drivers side control arm was loose.