PDA

View Full Version : 6 Speed Tranny?

moose
03-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Would it be possible to run a 6 Speed Transmission on a Ka? I would probably be practical wouldn't it? Lower RPM's = lower gas milage. Maybe off an SR20DET from an S15. Could it work?

lbcklik1486
03-01-2003, 05:26 PM
Not worth it, the six speed is relatively weak compared to all the other trans. Also, the speed sensor is on the trans I think, nebody correct me please if I'm wrong, so it wouldn't work.

lbcklik1486
03-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Speed sensor is on the rear end of the trannie... needed to clarify, and also, I think I remember something about the driveshaft not being the same length.

slideways240
03-01-2003, 06:11 PM
speed sensor is on the differential for the S15. i'll have to take a look to be sure,but i don't think there are any sensors at all on the s15 6-speed.also the driveshaft is shorter.

misnomer
03-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Main thing to keep in mind is your shift points. The s15 SR tranny is a six speed, with more gears packed between the same first and sixth ratios. IMHO, the KA has a broad enough power band that you would just be wasting time shifting when you don't need to.

Be careful about the "six speed tranny is weak" debate. I haven't yet seen evidence that it's really any weaker than the five speeds (granted, haven't looked :P ), just that it packs more gears into the same range.

Phlip
03-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Why are there 2 threads on the EXACT same topic right now?

here's the other http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23899

moose
03-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by PHLIP

here's the other http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23899

Again, here we are off topic. Just stick to the original question. You'd think if the tranny was strong it would work. You'd think that if you lowered the RPM's it would be better as well. If you like shifting down and up alot, it's alright. But when I go on the highway at 120 km/h, I'm in 5th gear and it's at 3 grand, so with a sixth gear I'd probably be at 1-2 grand. I don't know I was just thinking it might work.

AKADriver
03-01-2003, 08:10 PM
That's not how the S15 6 speed works. It has six gears in roughly the same "space" as 5, as misnomer said. the S15's 6th gear ratio (0.767:1) is about the same as the KA's stock 5th gear ratio (0.759:1). So... no improvement whatsoever.

What you want is a double-overdrive 6 speed like the one in the 4th gen Camaro.

But, neither of them will fit on a KA anyway.

DMC
03-02-2003, 06:57 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by PHLIP

here's the other http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread....&threadid=23899
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, here we are off topic. Just stick to the original question. You'd think if the tranny was strong it would work. You'd think that if you lowered the RPM's it would be better as well. If you like shifting down and up alot, it's alright. But when I go on the highway at 120 km/h, I'm in 5th gear and it's at 3 grand, so with a sixth gear I'd probably be at 1-2 grand. I don't know I was just thinking it might work.

dude shut the **** up hes tellin you to go read the other one dumbass and not post another one and waste our time when u could just read or post on the other thread. if you would have read the 4th post down you would have had an answer try the search next time.

mrdirty
03-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by DMC
dude shut the **** up hes tellin you to go read the other one dumbass and not post another one and waste our time when u could just read or post on the other thread. if you would have read the 4th post down you would have had an answer try the search next time.

second the STFU