PDA

View Full Version : AGX settings?

drift_newbie
02-28-2003, 06:46 AM
Anyone using agx for auto-x? If so, what settings do you run them on? Our local venue is a blacktop parking lot, fairly smooth with some elevation changes.

Any ideas? BTW, this is with stock springs.

Thanks,

-ben

MorganS13
02-28-2003, 10:51 AM
what kind of tires? the thing i've learned with my AGX's is that i can make then as stiff as i want, but after a certain point it doesn't make a difference because my tires give out before any body roll even sets in. currently i'm set at 3/5 just for daily driving, but even thats too stiff. for autocross i'd probably think something around 3/6 would be good

EDIT: i have pro-kits as well however, i just noticed the "stock springs" part

drift_newbie
02-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Tires are Yoko avs-intermediate in stock 195-60-15. I plan on getting whitline springs eventually, and probably some falkien azenis at the same time, but for now I'm stuck with stock springs and the yokos.

thanks,
-ben

drift_newbie
03-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Does anybody else have any input? Just wanting some varying opinions.

Thanks,

-ben

Phlip
03-01-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by drift_newbie
Does anybody else have any input? Just wanting some varying opinions.
I'd love to offer some input, but I just got my AGXs last week and haven't had a chance to autocross on them yet, we've been under ice since wednesday...

Thanks,

-ben

drift_newbie
03-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Cool. If you could let me know what you think, that would be great. These will be my first go on adjustable shocks, and I dont' want to make it worse by having them set up wrong!

Thanks again,
-ben

Dave
03-02-2003, 08:55 PM
I run 4/2 with stock sway bars and 205/50-15 Azenis. I used those settings on stock springs and now on 450#front and 300# rear. I was in a driving school and found through a slalom the back end would transfer too fast (side to side)causing the back end to step out and a possible snap spin. So I wouldn't recommend the rears higher than 4. But thats my preference, some like to correct the steering a few dozen times through a 5 cone slalom. I like to have the rear tires firmly planted and the back end alittle soft, allows me to use more throttle and seems easier to carry speed.

David J.
'89 240sx

drift_newbie
03-04-2003, 07:04 AM
4 front and 2 rear? Also, do you think that I would benefit more from buying the azenis right now, or buying the front/rear whiteline sway bars?

Just curious.

-ben

LanceS13
03-04-2003, 10:37 PM
I normally run 4/4 front and 4/8 rear with 248#/f and 213#/r KGMM springs and whiteline bars on 2/3 front and 1/2 rear. I normally ran 4/4 and 2/8 when I had ProKits and stock front bar. A course with alot of slolams and a low-grip surface might call for a softer rear setting for more transtional stability. What it comes down to is that you're gonna have to basically figure it out yourself. On a clean asphault surface and stock suspension, I'd start with 4/4 front and 3/8 rear and work from there if excessive transitional over/under-steer is present. If the handling imbalance occurs under steady state cornering, shock adjustments won't cure it.

As far as the tires vs. bars...if you want to stay in stock class, go with the tires (assuming SCCA). Bars (a rear bar anyway) will put you in STS.

drift_newbie
03-05-2003, 06:55 AM
Yeah, in stock class I'd definitely do tires. But I am thinking of jumping to sts, and was trying to decide on what would be more beneficial in that class, seeing as the price difference is only like $30.00 between the azenis in 205/50-15 or the front/rear whiteline bars.

Thanks for the shock setting ideas as well, I'll take you advice and start full stiff on front, and mild on rear,and then work my way up.

-ben

240racer
03-05-2003, 06:48 PM
tires are what grip the pavement, so in my opinion they are the single most important thing that you can buy for your car. Anti-roll bars actaully reduce traction most of the time and are just used for tuning, so I wouldn't get those until you know what you are looking for and you think anti-roll bars will help you get there. If you are running decent springs, shocks and stock sways, then you aren't going to get enough body roll to make your tires loose a lot of traction that could be made up with stiffer bars.