PDA

View Full Version : Rattle, could it be starter or internal?

Jumpman-Z
02-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Ok, here's a strange problem. I starting my car yesterday, I hear this weird rattling noise from the engine bay (sounds like metal hitting something), so I turn it off to make sure that the fan wasn't hitting anything. Checked it out, nothing. So, I tried to crank it again, and all I get is the starter spinning. I tried several times, and that was all I got.

After finally getting the car going by pushstarting, I hear the rattling noise again. I had no where to leave it, so I drive home (3 miles), keeping the engine at low rpm since the sound increases with increasing rpm. There was no loss of power.

Today, tried to diagnose the problem. First, I cleaned both battery cables. The starter is new (been using for about 3 months), so I figured it couldn't be the problem, but I pulled it off anyway, just to make sure. The teeth still looked brand new. I didn't inspect the entire flywheel, but the teeth I saw looked perfect. I even shook the starter, to check for loose parts. Nothing seems to move other than the gear.

Next I checked to see if the alternator was the problem. I removed the belt, and just ran the car without it for couple minutes (had to pushstart, of course). I can still hear the rattling noise from the engine bay. This time, I try to pinpoint the noise better. It sounds and feels as if it's coming from the starter, but it looked fine. WTF?

At this point, I am starting to run out of ideas. Is it possible that it still could be the starter? Honestly, I hope it is, as it would be the easiest fix. Not sure what else could be causing it, any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I'm running the KA24DE on a 1992 240.

Sileighty_85
02-01-2009, 10:58 PM
sounds like the upper timing guide.
has it been removed?

if it has i'd check to see if the lower right side chain guide hasnt broken yet

projectRDM
02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Completely random, but I've had a car loose a pressure plate bolt and rattle around inside the bellhousing while running. It sounded like it was in the oilpan, like a tin can clanging. You may want to pull the dust shield back a bit at the bottom edge and see if anything falls out.

Steveohoes
02-01-2009, 11:01 PM
hmm..
Sounds like the starters solenoid is broken.

That rattling noise could of been the gear on the starter stuck out and when the rpms increased it was spinning faster which made the noise louder.
and when you tried starting it after it just spun, it was probably not engaging

Jumpman-Z
02-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Sileighty_85, I pulled the valve cover about a year ago, but I can't remember if the timing chain guides were already gone or not. Would that keep the engine from cranking altogether?

Completely random, but I've had a car loose a pressure plate bolt and rattle around inside the bellhousing while running. It sounded like it was in the oilpan, like a tin can clanging. You may want to pull the dust shield back a bit at the bottom edge and see if anything falls out.

By dust shield, are you referring to the soft shield on the bottom of the car? That thing wore out a long time ago, lol

kalypso123
02-02-2009, 12:41 AM
thats my guess,

luckily starters are easy to rebuild i can show you if you want.

the critical thing is to make sure the teeth of the starter dont get worn down or eroded anymore, take it off asap.

solenoids and brushes are domestic, but the head is jdm