PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Cracked

DataXUnknown
01-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Ok well today I took off the valve cover, replaced the gaskets (Blacktop SR) and put it back on, as I put it back on I dropped the rear passenger side, corner, stud/bolt thing somwhere in the back of my engine. Could not find that shit for an hour.

So I resorted to getting another bolt that fit it fine with a washer on it, tightened it down, but didn't even think twice about the correct torque. So I kept tightening it (the others all tightened and I could feel about how much torque), but this one, just kept going and actually cracked my valve cover but just in the back corner. It's a small crack, and I haven't seen any oil leak out of it, but I can smell the oil and feel air pressure coming out.

My question is, can I drive it for a little while with that? I don't know if it will hurt the engine at all because it's loosing pressure from the crankcase. Is there a temporary fix for it? Almost like a bondo type fix haha? Or do I just need to whip out another $100 bucks and buy a valve cover and get it powder coated n all that make it look prettyful...

Thanks in advance

s13boy89
01-31-2009, 01:17 AM
jb weld its worth a try

kevmeistah21
01-31-2009, 01:32 AM
my friend was talking about silicone but i didn't want to do a halfASSed job on my engine, i'd rather be safe than sorry

s13boy89
01-31-2009, 01:34 AM
or take it to be welded

slider2828
01-31-2009, 09:39 AM
I would be pretty careful with this, as oil can get all of over the place... Shouldn't be too much pressure so I would probably just JB weld the outside.... Shouldnt' be that much pressure in there.

xsublimefrekx
01-31-2009, 10:09 AM
you can get it welded and it should be fine. I welded my friends dsm tranny after it cracked open and we havent had any issues yet.

Flicktitty
01-31-2009, 11:01 AM
i would have it welded imo.

ManoNegra
01-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Weld it
friend stripped a bolt on his KA valvecover
and been running without it
too lazy to helicoil it
leaks a little but he don't care
drives fine, dunno if that helps or not