PDA

View Full Version : s13 right front clunking noise.

Dustxking
01-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Ok guys this has been going on for about a month or longer.
Work being so busy i have literaly 0 time to take a look at it. Finally i got a chance to last week.
Heres my setup.
Spl tension rods
jic tie rods/kazamma ends
stock lca
Megan Coils

Now everytime i hit a bump/speedbump/dip/something in the road my right front suspension area clunks. Sounds like the coilover spring is bouncing around or one of the bolts has fallen off the tension rods.

I got the car on jacks and got under her, every bolt is tight. I mean EVERY BOLT. And the spring to the coilover is tight. The coilover top 3 bolts are tight.

I have no idea what is going on the only thing i can think of is my crap coils are going to crap.

BoostedCoupe
01-31-2009, 10:07 AM
What kind of weights do you have on your wheels? my weights on my wheels hit my springs if the springs arent in the right place.

wings_s13
01-31-2009, 11:05 AM
How old are they? it could be the hats, over time the sep and give that sound happened to my 240sx and my girls honda and hers was only 4-5 years old so it might be that. if not then its probly your coilovers going out and/or your right front coilover is bent. thats my best guess at what it is. hope it gets fixed. if not take it to a shop lol....

Wings_s13

Flicktitty
01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
it could maybe be the coils going bad....it sounds like it could be blown.

Dustxking
01-31-2009, 07:38 PM
I got tape weights, i already checked (i work at america's tire)
I pushed down on the car and the coil is still super stiff. But yeah they are less than a year old. But drifted on really hard for a good solid season.

Rapier46
01-31-2009, 08:59 PM
it is not the weights lol. check sway bar bushings.

Dustxking
01-31-2009, 09:01 PM
I thought about the bushing, but they are all on snug and in decent shape.

Chrischeezer
01-31-2009, 09:05 PM
had the same thing... when i smashed the brakes i would get a (thud) turned out to be a sway bar end link, the bushings were so warn the sway bar and link would make contact. under pressure

Dustxking
01-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Maybe i didnt look at the sway bar bushing's all the way,

Should i just go ahead and get all new sway bar bushing?!!?
are they special bushing?!

Rapier46
01-31-2009, 10:32 PM
sway are bushings are nothing special takes 15 minutes to replace on s13's. you'll be able to look under the front when the car is on the gounrd, and check them. if they look fine, they are. check and see if they're thing in any placed or cracked, or really hard. i recomend buying polyurethane bushings.

Marc240
02-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Everythings tight and the swaybar bushing are in decent shape. But still not a bad thing to replace anyways. Go to Cost less auto parts, they have energy suspension bushing kits there at a really good price.

Dustin, i have no clue what this cluck could be. Try taking a impact gun to the top pillow ball nut on your coil over to make sure its tight?

Bigsyke
02-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Going to sound weird, but a clunk sounding like my front passenger suspension ended up being from my rear subframe bushings being completely gone.

Thus causing my rear to wiggle like a fat woman, and things started to bind up in the front, aka FLCA ball joint

Banegraphix
02-01-2009, 06:55 PM
sounds like the ball joint might be takin a dump

Bubba
04-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Hate to bring this one back up but I am having the same problem. Ever since I put my 13 back together with KYB AGX/Whitelines, Whiteline sways with poly bushings, SPL tc rods, Tein tie rods, S14 LCA with new LCA bush/ball joints, and Nismo PB.

All I can think of that I haven't checked yet is the tophats. You can get them for less than $100 a pair from some dealerships IIRC. Going to reposition the end-links on my sways just in case. Haven't tried to adjust the sways and compare yet so now is a good time I guess.
Also the noise was there with or without the Whiteline Pineapples. Will be looking into the rear subframe bushings ASAP too.

JoHn E
04-10-2009, 11:52 AM
how much preload did u put on the coilovers? and is the top nut tight?

91silvia
04-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Sounds like you may want to check your ball joints. Here's a good way to do this:

1. Jack up the corner of the car you want to check by putting the jack as close as you can to the ball joint (I would typically do this in the middle, but 240 LCA's are weak)

2. once the wheel is off the ground (and the suspension is loaded just as it would be on the ground because of where the jack is located) try to move the wheel in and out to see if you can notice any obvious clunking or movement. Maybe even watch the balljoint as you have someone else move the wheel.

Hope this helps.

PS: don't bend your LCA in half

GSXRJJordan
04-10-2009, 01:20 PM
how much preload did u put on the coilovers? and is the top nut tight?

Ding Ding Ding!

You should preload the spring just enough so that it's difficult to "twist" in the perch - if you can "rattle" it up and down, you need moarr preload.

Most likely, the problem is a loose top nut - you may have to pull the adjuster to tighten it, but basically in the fronts you need to put the coilover collar wrench (the "hook" tool that came with the coils) on the top collar (above the spring), put a huge socket on the top nut (I don't know what size Megan uses, but probably ~21mm), and tighten that top nut down until it's snug.

Don't go putting 50lbs on it or anything though, that'll just compress the shit out of the ball joint - just snug it up and you should be good to go for another year.