PDA

View Full Version : Manifolds???

boosted27
01-29-2009, 02:11 PM
I was looking for a new manifold, and wondering if there are any advantages over a top mount then a bottom mount?

I had found this company called Peak Boost, but I dont know anything about them and the quality of there products ...heres a link if it helps any

Nissan (http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/nissan.html)

im gonna be running a GT3076R so any feed back would help

Thanks
Matt

Monooxide
01-29-2009, 04:22 PM
A top mount will give you generally an easier time at working on the turbo oriented items.

The bottom mount will give you a little better center of gravity.

That's about it.

GSXRJJordan
01-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Peak Boost makes very good products, and has good customer support. Many put them right under Full Race in terms of desirability.

Neukin (a site sponsor) makes bottom-mount T3 manifolds for much less money. A 3076 would fit, but it would be tight, and there's no chance of keeping AC (like there is with some top-mount T3 manifolds).

INeedNewTires
01-29-2009, 04:34 PM
man your gonna get nailed with 12 posts saying to search....

really quickly though top mount will also heat up brake res. more, you could introduce clearance issues with hood and strut bar, top mount is generally more expensive b/c of the manifold, elbow, downpipe, external WG, plumbing, etc. However if you want to run a turbo that wont fit in the OEM location then its the only way to go.

Bottom mount typically is cheaper, harder to work on turbo, quicker spool (depending), factory manifold will work, less BMC heat, less cost, basically opposite everything above.

just a few quick things i thought of, someone with more experience who doesnt want to flame you is bound to chip in here in a bit. but dude, really, search, been covered a million times.

!Zar!
01-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Only real reason to go top mount is due to space issues you run into when running a bigger turbo on a bottom mount setup.

It is easier to deal with the turbo on a top mount setup.

The_Doctor
01-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Bottom mount typically is cheaper, harder to work on turbo, quicker spool (depending), factory manifold will work.

Please show us some proof of this...
I know there is none because it 100% false.

Why?
Bustin' chops today.

INeedNewTires
01-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Why?
Bustin' chops today.

simply put a bottom mount typically houses a smaller turbo thus faster spool, top mount usually houses a larger turbo thus slower spool. Again i put depending in there and yes if same turbo is used its same spool blah blah blah

ILoveJDM
01-30-2009, 01:34 AM
exception on brake stuff for those of us who own rhd

fliprayzin240sx
01-30-2009, 10:46 AM

Why?
Bustin' chops today.

Because most of the time, folks who stay bottom mount uses the restrictive ass T2 flange...:ddog:

bigOdom1
01-30-2009, 10:52 AM
you say restrictive i say responsive.

fliprayzin240sx
01-30-2009, 11:04 AM
you say restrictive i say responsive.

I say fucking restrictive once you slap a GT3076 on that bitch...and I know... I ran the fucking setup. :smash:

bigOdom1
01-30-2009, 12:16 PM
oh yeah on a 3076 it would be

BoostSlideWayz
01-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I would go with top mount. It looks sexier when you pop the hood, nothing like an SR20 with Top mount.Even tho i dont know what you have any engine in my opinion looks alot better with top mount. and like Monooxide said easier to work on, deffinatly would keep you from worrying about having a turbo to big or maintiance.

To me the only good thing about a under mount is turbo peices cant go back into your motor.

PS- Wouldnt you want everyone to SEE your turbo instead of wonder where it is ?? I bet when its wrapped around all the manifold it get the turbo housing sooooooooooooooooooooooo hot. but im not sure cuz ive never ran undermount.

neukin
02-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Bottom mount typically is cheaper, harder to work on turbo, quicker spool (depending), factory manifold will work, less BMC heat, less cost, basically opposite everything above.

Why?

Just like a log manifold provides better bottom end/mid range power because of lack of manifold volume. Topmounts with longer runners have much more volume and rape on top and a bit of mid but the bottom end lags. Our bottom mount has much less volume then our topmount so that would be true, our tubular bottom mount with a halfass collector flows better then a log though.

I seen this head design when searching for patents and the turbo bolts directly to the head. That was player as the ports in the head leading to the T3 mounting point on the head were rather direct and collector looking. I dont like it as i would only be able to sell downpipes tho lol

sunnys14
02-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I say fucking restrictive once you slap a GT3076 on that bitch...and I know... I ran the fucking setup. :smash:

Not me :)

I get a full 1 bar at 3300ish rpm. T2 also...

Teambadrun
02-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Low mount high mount, same shit. It's all about design.

mondojackal
02-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Low mount high mount, same shit. It's all about design.
http://www.frontiernet.net/%7Ejoe14580/captain%20obvious.jpg

Thanks dude, for that insightful information. The OP was asking about the pros and cons of each, and why he should choose one over the other.