PDA

View Full Version : Best recommended FMIC 4 Ca18det

SxMachine
02-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Just curious on your Ca/Sr (mainly Ca) setups, i'll be getting my clip in a week or so. I prob keep it stock for a minute just trying to get ideas.

KiDyNomiTe
02-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Well in order to best answer that question, it would be nice to know what HP you are shooting for.

The stock SMIC apparently does little or no good for the car, a lot upgrade to something liek an MKIII Supra SMIC, which cools a lot better. If you go to www.silvia.com (I belive) they have reviews on different SMIC from other cars.

Another intercooler I found out about on www.sxoc.com (its a UK 200SX board) thier cars come stock with CA's so they know more about em. Well anyway they use FMICs from Saabs and Volvos, I know the saab intercooler is good up to i think 300HP, and there is a company that sells saab parts, and started selling the FMIC with piping that fits the CA18 (this happened due to the amount of people buying intercoolers from them. I think it was 75 pounds + shipping, but not positive on price.

If you go to the SXOC message board (it's under community on www.sxoc.com) and just search for Saab FMIC, there will be a few posts on it.

Also go to www.h-dev.co.uk they have a full install on the intercooler with SAMCO piping.

www.salvogroup.co.uk is the company that sells the fmics

Jeff240sx
02-24-2003, 09:17 PM
Damnit KidDynomite. You are posting bull**** online. You have told people before to get a MK III supra intercooler. I have also told you and everyone else that it is an inefficient piece of ****, and should be avoided at all costs in this thread. (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&postid=190650#post190650)

3psi pressure drop across the intercooler at 6.8psi.
There is no reason to get a MK III intercooler, since the starion intercoolers are cheaper and don't leak boost near as much.
Sorry to seem so angry, but I've corrected this before, and it's getting to me seeing the same person say the same ****. Click on the links in my post in the linked thread above if you don't believe me.
-Jeff

KiDyNomiTe
02-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Jeff240sx
Damnit KidDynomite. You are posting bull**** online. You have told people before to get a MK III supra intercooler. I have also told you and everyone else that it is an inefficient piece of ****, and should be avoided at all costs in this thread. (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&postid=190650#post190650)

3psi pressure drop across the intercooler at 6.8psi.
There is no reason to get a MK III intercooler, since the starion intercoolers are cheaper and don't leak boost near as much.
Sorry to seem so angry, but I've corrected this before, and it's getting to me seeing the same person say the same ****. Click on the links in my post in the linked thread above if you don't believe me.
-Jeff

Whoops...
Never read that post, guess I was misinformed, but you can still check out the saab or volvo fmic, it's been proven to work well on some cars.

king_johnthegreat
02-24-2003, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure of people's opinions of the Spearco line, but I can get any one who is interested a pretty solid deal on them. I was brought to this board from the 240sx.org and NICO forums. I am a Turbonetics/Spearco dealer, and am currently running a 20% off list price deal for all forum members. I just added Zilvia.net to that list. An example of the deals I'm cutting on parts to you members would be the 2-115 FMIC (18.48"x6"x3.5"). This intercooler has a flow rating of 1080, and will support 720hp for high performance street/racing applications from 2.4L-4.0L displacement. This intercooler, brand new would cost you $420. Perhaps the better intercooler for the KA would be the 2-114, which would run you $450. This deal is only good for registered members who email me directly at [email protected] The 20% off deal applies to ANY Turbonetics part, including all turbos.
John Anderson
Wood/Anderson Racing

SxMachine
02-25-2003, 03:03 AM
Thanks 4 the info guys. I knew about people using those saab intercoolers but never knew any specifics (hmmm interesting). Spearco was my third choice next 2 HKS or Blitz. I've been trying not to go 2 overboard with prices tho. I'm pretty much staying stock up 2 about 250-300hp (with i/c and t3/t4 upgrade of course). I'm also trying 2 find some reliable online retailers 4 aftermarket parts (metal head gaskets, pistons, head rebuilds) any recommendations?

nrcooled
02-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by king_johnthegreat
I'm not sure of people's opinions of the Spearco line, but I can get any one who is interested a pretty solid deal on them. I was brought to this board from the 240sx.org and NICO forums. I am a Turbonetics/Spearco dealer, and am currently running a 20% off list price deal for all forum members. I just added Zilvia.net to that list. An example of the deals I'm cutting on parts to you members would be the 2-115 FMIC (18.48"x6"x3.5"). This intercooler has a flow rating of 1080, and will support 720hp for high performance street/racing applications from 2.4L-4.0L displacement. This intercooler, brand new would cost you $420. Perhaps the better intercooler for the KA would be the 2-114, which would run you $450. This deal is only good for registered members who email me directly at [email protected] The 20% off deal applies to ANY Turbonetics part, including all turbos.
John Anderson
Wood/Anderson Racing

The core and the endtanks (from my research) are pretty cheap. It's the piping that gets you. Do you have piping (mandrel bent) that will plumb the Spearco to the SR Redtop

S13CRAVE
02-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by SxMachine
I'm pretty much staying stock up 2 about 250-300hp (with i/c and t3/t4 upgrade of course).

ummm :( sorry but 250-300whp is not "pretty much stock". that takes work, time and money. thats why not everyone on these boards has 300hp. I am shooting for 270-320 and you need a lot more to get it up there reliably. If you are gonna have a t3/t4 you will need: new fuel pump, new exhaust manifold, downpipe, 3inch exhaust, intake filter, boost gauge, boost controller, and all sorts of misc. parts. Not trying to discourage you, but 300hp is not a walk in the park away.

~Ian

SxMachine
02-25-2003, 06:11 PM
I meant stock internals. Although the Ca has an iron block, anything over 300hp (and 17-19 psi) is pushing the threshholds of the stock internals of course. That's why i'm looking for a good aftermarket online retailer with nuff parts 4 a head rebuild, turbo, pistons. Everthing else (ecu, piping, boost controls, fuel management etc.) should be almost common sense when upgrading.

KiDyNomiTe
02-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by SxMachine
I meant stock internals. Although the Ca has an iron block, anything over 300hp (and 17-19 psi) is pushing the threshholds of the stock internals of course. That's why i'm looking for a good aftermarket online retailer with nuff parts 4 a head rebuild, turbo, pistons. Everthing else (ecu, piping, boost controls, fuel management etc.) should be almost common sense when upgrading.

Try www.norrisdesigns.com I know they have loads of parts, but are located in the UK

There is apparently also a company in cali that sells internals, I forget the name of it though, but if you search on that SXOC message board, try typing in "california" or "internals" it was pretty recent.

SxMachine
02-25-2003, 06:31 PM
THanks