PDA

View Full Version : Alternator bolt keeps backing out.

MartyMcFly
01-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Ka24e here. Curious , on the long alternator bolt, does it have a nut on the backside to keep it in place? Mine keeps squirming its way out. Sorry if this is an obvious question.
TIA

toointoxicated62
01-21-2009, 12:01 PM
there should be one there its a long bolt and a nut that hold that bottom of it in. I was cleaning up my alternator cause it was full of oil so im 100% positive :P

MartyMcFly
01-21-2009, 12:02 PM
you my friend have been very helpful, thanks for not ragging on me :) Wish we could all be as friendly as this guy.

projectRDM
01-21-2009, 06:36 PM
The OE nut is actually part of a plate, eliminating the need to use a wrench to hold it still when tightening.

vqboodah
01-21-2009, 06:40 PM
if the adjusting bolt keeps squirming out, the nut at the end of the bolt is called a tensioner block which holds tension to the belt. there's a locking bolt on the side of that block which locks it. adjust the belt to the right tension and tighten the bolt on the block. belt is still loose if you can twist it around.

MartyMcFly
01-21-2009, 07:41 PM
thanks you guys, im gunna have to get under the car too see what you guys are talking about, All I did was twist the bolt back into its slot.. the belts dont squeal, but the bolt will back out in a few days. Is it possible for this plate to fall off or is it attached to the block?

projectRDM
01-21-2009, 08:02 PM
thanks you guys, im gunna have to get under the car too see what you guys are talking about, All I did was twist the bolt back into its slot.. the belts dont squeal, but the bolt will back out in a few days. Is it possible for this plate to fall off or is it attached to the block?

Yes, if the bolt backed all the way out the plate would fall right out on the ground. You can replace it with just a regular nut, you'll just have to hold it still while you tighten the bolt.

yokotavia
01-21-2009, 08:03 PM
locktight.

VanduzerLancerES
01-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I replaced my alternator, and put the OEM plate back in and it only took 2 days for that to fall off. so make sure you tighten it down realllly good. I ended up just using a nut. much easier.

zylvia213
01-22-2009, 12:08 AM
I had this problem w/ one of my coupes w/ an sr swap. The whole where the long bolt slides in actually is threaded in the rear. Some how it gets striped. All i did was go to the hardware store and bought me a long bolt same size as the stock one and a nut that goes with it and bam problem solved.

MartyMcFly
01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Ok great, going to go pick up a nut, thanks folks for the cool responses.

Om1kron
01-22-2009, 03:22 PM
locktight.

/thread..... fuck that bolt son!!!