PDA

View Full Version : only goes into 1st and 2nd!!!

aoiken3
01-19-2009, 10:56 PM
i've searched other tranny problems and it seems like all of them are completely different from mine. with that being said,

i was in an accident late last year and my 240 met a tree. there was damage only to the front and the frame got bent. only the distributor cap was cracked but the rest of the engine was completely untouched. but afterward, i can only put it in 1st and 2nd gear, it wont go into 3rd or 4th, and i cant even move it to the right to attempt to put it in 5th or reverse, and on top of that, even though it is in neutral, the clutch has to be depressed for it to roll freely. tranny has not been used since and i have it out of the car.
1. does anyone know what the problem is and if it is fixable?
2. if it is fixable, would it be a rather inexpensive fix, or am i better off looking for another tranny?
3. and i am a noob on trannys and have never opened up one in my life, so do you think i could DIY fix it??

because of the content in the other threads i've searched, im trying to avoid taking it to a transmission shop because its mucho $$$, but many have said tranny work is not an easy task to DIY. the car is a 93 ka24de if that makes any difference. thanks in advance.

aoiken3
01-20-2009, 12:48 PM
bump!!! i need some input guys. i am stumped as to what to do

S14DB
01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Sounds like you bent your Striking Rod/lever and it is stuck in the 1/2 rod. Could also be that the 1/2 Rod/Fork is bent and not allowing the Striking Lever to return to the Neutral position. But, you would still be able to find Neural between 1 and 2.

You are going to have to pull it apart to find out what is wrong regardless. I do not think it's a diy fix unless you understand how the Striking Rod/Lever and the 1/2, 3/4, OD/Reverse Rods interact.

SoBay240guy
01-20-2009, 01:29 PM
The tranny is out of the car?

The disassembly is intimidating as there are lots of snap rings, then you need a press and it's very akward to hold, but it can be done...with a press.

If you're good it only takes 1/2 hour to pull a trans from the junkyard. install can be quick as well. Otherwise a trans is gonna cost you $$$.

Rnz520
01-20-2009, 01:31 PM
just get a new trans, rebuilding them is not easy and there is chance you can mess it up even more. They are cheap. I would give you my extra one but your in the opposite side.

aoiken3
01-20-2009, 02:12 PM
yeah i think another tranny is the best bet for me. thanks a lot guys. and Rnz520, i wish you were west coast lol

SoBay240guy
01-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Im west coast and i have several here at work but shipping will cost more than a Junk Yard visit

aoiken3
01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
socal is my last resort. i know you guys got plenty down there but i dont wanna drive down there just for a tranny. i'll let you know if i will sobay240guy

ericcastro
01-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Sounds like you bent your Striking Rod/lever and it is stuck in the 1/2 rod. Could also be that the 1/2 Rod/Fork is bent and not allowing the Striking Lever to return to the Neutral position. But, you would still be able to find Neural between 1 and 2.

You are going to have to pull it apart to find out what is wrong regardless. I do not think it's a diy fix unless you understand how the Striking Rod/Lever and the 1/2, 3/4, OD/Reverse Rods interact.

yeah, totally have no idea what you just said. lol
tranny and head work is where i stop on cars, lol.

just get a new trans, rebuilding them is not easy and there is chance you can mess it up even more. They are cheap. I would give you my extra one but your in the opposite side.
yuppers, used trannys are easy to get.

socal is my last resort. i know you guys got plenty down there but i dont wanna drive down there just for a tranny. i'll let you know if i will sobay240guy

Let us know of your coming down and we will tell you what events co-inside with your trip, if any.