PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust timing on a SR?????

RUTH'LESSDET
02-23-2003, 02:11 PM
I cant figure out how to retard my timing on my motor my friend has a timing gun but how do you set it up????

What the stock timing position for a SR?????

Which way is retard and which way is advance????

lbcklik1486
02-23-2003, 05:16 PM
I think you turn the distributor the opposite way that it normally rotates to advance timing, and vice versa to retard timing.

nrcooled
02-23-2003, 05:59 PM
SRs are distributerless. They use coilpacks.

Sorry I don't have better info but that I know:confused:

transient
02-23-2003, 06:13 PM
You've got to change the position of the crank angle sensor.

Aubrey
02-23-2003, 11:01 PM
First start your car and let it get to normal operating temp (so its out of the cold loop).

Take your timing gun and wrap it around on of the wires on one of the coil packs and check the timing (see below for correct markings and settings)

Then turn your car off. Unplug the TPS (its by the throttle body) and then go start your car again. Shoot your gun at the crank pulley again. If your timing is off loosen the two 12mm bolts that hold the CAS in place.

There are Six marks on the crank pulley and they go like this:

-5 0 5 10 15 20 you want your timing to be set on 15 degrees.

Turn the CAS ever so slightly while you are still gunning your crank pully. Play with the CAS until you get it where you want it. Tighten the bolts for the CAS back down.

Now go turn your car off. Then come back and plug your TPS back in. Now re start your car and double check the timing.

Good Luck.

gregsr20
02-24-2003, 07:48 AM
go to srswap.com, look in install faqs, then look under the timing, cas link, pretty simple to do actually

N1ceDrgn
02-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Aubrey had some good detailed info there, one way to keep it simple is to line up the dots that are engraved in the cam sprockets with them marks that are on the timing belt. Once you have that, then all you should need to do is adjust the crank angle sensor, (CAS). Counter clock-wise for retard, and clock-wise for advancing it.