PDA

View Full Version : Solid bushings users

singlecamslam
01-18-2009, 11:15 PM
I installed some spl Solid aluminum subframe bushings on my car, and now i can hear my diff buzz extremely loud like a chain saw. Ok so i though no problem maybe it went bad. Replaced it, and the buzzing was just as loud just a little different so thats how i know its the diff. So my question is people with solid alumin subframe bushing do you guys experience this? Cause i dont know what to make of it. Car was always quiet inside and never hear any buzzing. And its only on the inside of my car i hear it, outside is quiet. Car is gutter too but was never this loud. Is this normal? Maybe bad wheel bearing? Keep in mind before i installed them there were no problems so i'm thinking its the bushings making the subframe stiffer therefore more noise. And i have a welded diff if that matters.

essforteen
01-18-2009, 11:23 PM
what i think is that the solid bushings allow the vibrations from the diff to resonate within the car thats why you hear it buzzing
but thats the price you pay for solid suspension.

whatda
01-18-2009, 11:23 PM
i have pmb ones and there's no noise
but my car is not gutted and i have no welded diff

singlecamslam
01-18-2009, 11:24 PM
what i think is that the solid bushings allow the vibrations from the diff to resonate within the car thats why you hear it buzzing
but thats the price you pay for solid suspension.

Thats what i'm thinking, i just wanna know i'm not the only one so i feel better about my crappy car.

wow-thats-a-cool-car
01-19-2009, 12:45 AM
s13 or s14?
s13...maybe use an s14 diff with the bushings? and use ruber washers on the cover bolts?
s14... bad diff bushings or your using an s13 diff?

sac
01-19-2009, 01:20 AM
^^ stole my idea.
i can post pics of it later, but i made rubber washers out of some HEAVY duty rubber. Dont know what material is, but its STIFF AS HELL! i made thin pieces that go around bolt, and thin pieces that are washer thin to go inbetween the subframe and car. This i HOPE will take out the humming i heard when i installed SOLID subframe and bushings. I mean im ok with a kaaz 2 way clunkin for a sec, but i dont want to hear that humming annoying sound. Its a little different, but like a fuckin humming bird flappin next to your ear with metal wings.

Shift_Dr1ft
01-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Don't worry your not alone. My car does the same thing. I have a welded differential and PBM subframe collars and my car is a S13. If you have a S14 try replacing the differential bushing. If you have a welded diff or a LSD that might be your problem.

Rayne
01-19-2009, 01:39 AM
^^ stole my idea.
i can post pics of it later, but i made rubber washers out of some HEAVY duty rubber. Dont know what material is, but its STIFF AS HELL! i made thin pieces that go around bolt, and thin pieces that are washer thin to go inbetween the subframe and car. This i HOPE will take out the humming i heard when i installed SOLID subframe and bushings. I mean im ok with a kaaz 2 way clunkin for a sec, but i dont want to hear that humming annoying sound. Its a little different, but like a fuckin humming bird flappin next to your ear with metal wings.

That idea has been around for a while. It is certainly good idea none the less.

singlecamslam
01-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Its on an s13. I actually went to the rubber store yesterday to get some made but dont have to time to install it yet. Will do, thanks for the info.

xs240
01-19-2009, 10:05 AM
ive got an s13 with an HLSD and solid alum bushings, same chainsaw madness here.

ManoNegra
01-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Never had this issue when I used collars
but I do notice it on my S14 with SPL solids in both the
subframe and diff (J30)
I use to think it was because I had the sensor port open
I covered it and it helped but I can still hear it
sucks because I really like the ride quality.

Firestorm
01-19-2009, 11:01 AM
i run solids and LSD...its so noisy, at 50 mph you can't even talk inside the car.

with open diff it wasn't quite as loud as with LSD but open diff is boring so what the heck. i don't really care.

by the way...keeping your interior in helps a little.

s13silady
01-19-2009, 11:19 AM
same setup here.. Alum. all the way around with an LSD... Loud as hell. but i like it..=) and im in an s14.

gsracer
01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I got to say, i have had alumiunum bushings on 3 different s14's over the last 5 years and dont have the noise??? What gives?? I kind of want the noise now, i feel left out.

slider2828
01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Lol.... put back your truck carpent and make some round rubber rings to dampen the noise... but you going to hear it why? Cause you modified the car.... duh!

JRas
01-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I got to say, i have had alumiunum bushings on 3 different s14's over the last 5 years and dont have the noise??? What gives?? I kind of want the noise now, i feel left out.

must be the non-stretched tires :w00t:

I have SPL solid diff bushings, subframe collars, and a HLSD.. I didn't really hear a difference.. a little noise on decel but that's about it, more of a whine sound if anything.

I plan on going with SPL solid subframe bushings soon, hopefully it doesn't sound like a chainsaw :)

Ceepo
01-19-2009, 04:31 PM
i have pmb ones and there's no noise
but my car is not gutted and i have no welded diff

These are spacers lol... they simply help make the rear end stiffer, he is talking about these bad boys

http://www.speedalliance.com/images/SPL_PARTS/SILVIA_89-94_NISSAN_240SX/SUSPENSION/SUBFRAME_AND_DIFF_BUSHINGS/SPLSubframeBushings.jpg

its all the added vibration is the noise, shouldn't worry to much, props for anyone daily driving with these lol...

singlecamslam
01-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Yea i get the whine sound too on hard acceleration. And when i say my car is gutter that means the tar is gone and plastics and carpet is still there. I think people who take the plastics and carpet out and not put a roll cage in are just retarded. That stuff probably weighs like 2 pounds. I feel a little better now, i'm gonna try to use some rubber spacers or something on the diff.

gsracer
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
it actually weighs closer to 22lbs on an s14, but i do have a cage lol

Ninjabread
01-19-2009, 07:29 PM
My diff used to whine like a bitch with those things.

But it was a shitty welded on its way out, I'm sure some slag was riding shotgun between the spider gears.

But yes, those bushings make a huge difference. Even the collars dont compare.