PDA

View Full Version : what is the weird thing behind the speaker ?

haah
02-22-2003, 02:16 PM
recently i just took my front speaker out and i saw some weird looking electrical board behind the speaker
what is that for ?
can i just go ahead and take it out so that i have more clearance ?
btw my car is a 91 240sx fastback se

anyone know what is that for ?
would drilling a 5 x 7 on the door be a good idea or putting it inside the door and have the factory steel speaker cover cover it ?
which setup is better ?
if i drill the 5 x 7 on to the door replacing the factory speaker cover will it have rattling sound ?
anything that i need to aware of ?

Nismos14
02-22-2003, 03:05 PM
well from what it sounds like its probably a crossover or an amp, do u have active speakers? im not sure thats what it is just a thought that it may be one of those two

Nissan240SX
02-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Do not do it. I have the exact same car. Some of the connections to it run other things don't ask why they just do. Leave it there. You may though be able to move it to the left of the door. But I doubt it.

andrave
02-23-2003, 09:59 AM
well, what other things do the connections run to?
My ex roommate had a nissan maxima with the active speaker system, and it sounds just like yours- speakers mounted with a steel basket, circuit board behind the basket. The circuit boards were just tiny amplifiers with crossovers for each speaker. The "other connections" were things like power and ground for the baby amps.
If you are replacing the headunit with an aftermarket one, its easier to take those stock amps out and run your own speaker wire, bypassing the system (and its necessary if you are running an external amplifier).