PDA

View Full Version : Car is jerking...clutch or something else?????

DamnedButDetermined
02-21-2003, 05:30 PM
I know the test of going 30mph and putting it in 3rd gear and seeing if it slips, but it doesn't slip like i thought it would.

When you do this test is it supposed to slip alot and let the engine rev way up or is it supposed to jerk?

My car does this...
When i accel from a stop and in every gear, the car jerks. At first i thought this problem was due to faulty injectors. I fixed them and it still does it. If i am EXTREMELY slow in releasing the clutch pedal then the car will accel smoothly, but if i release it like a normal person would it feels like it is catching then releasing, then catching, ect...

Another reason i think the jerking is being caused by the clutch is due to...when it is out of gear and i have the clutch released, there is a whinning noise that is rather loud. When i push in the clutch the noise dissappears. A friend said it may be my throwout bearing??????? but i don't know.

A long time ago when i used to accel hard the engine would jerk and make a loud pop as if it were backfiring. My roomate said he had the same problem on his mustang, but when he changed out his exhaust system it went away. Well i haven't changed my exhaust system, and the noise went away, but the jerking remains.

I know this poste is all over the place but i am trying to give you all the info i can. Please through out every idea you can think of and we will start discussing and discarding them latter.

thanks for your time,

-DbD-

AceInHole
02-21-2003, 05:43 PM
I wonder if you've got a shot tranny bearing and you're skipping teeth under power.....

DamnedButDetermined
02-22-2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the idea, but could you explain that a little more?

I can see what you might be talking about...Some of the teeth on the gears are broken off and they are slipping under power? Or are you talking about something else?

My tranny has been grinding a bit lately and when i have it in gear but push in the clutch i can hear the syncros spinning and it is pretty loud. If i have the clutch in and am going 15mph, when i try and downshift to 1st it whines really loud. I am thinking it might be due to little to no flued in the tranny? So i bought some dexron III from pepboys and i also bought some gear oil for my differential.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
Am i correct in my assumtions about the normal clutch slippage test?

DamnedButDetermined
02-23-2003, 05:56 PM
bump^

"anyone? anyone?"

nrcooled
02-23-2003, 06:02 PM
To test Ace's idea. Pull the tranny drain plug and look for metal in the fluid (good excuse to put redline in).

DamnedButDetermined
02-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Ok i will drain the fluid sometime this week, but have a few quetsions...

What do i do with the old fluid?
Does it really matter if i use redline fluid, or will any tranny fluid work?
Does anyone actually understand what i was talking about with the loud syncros?
If there is substancial metal in the old fluid, do i need to buy a new tranny to fix the problem?
What weight fluid should i use in the tranny?
How many quarts will it take to refill it?

ok that was more than a few but I am igorant when it comes to transmissions!

thanks
-DbD-

Kookaburraz
02-24-2003, 04:09 AM
Old oil - some garage stations, places like autozone, etc.

Redline is expensive but good chit, Mobil 1 is easily available and cheaper while still great stuff (tempted to say better...)

Not really...loud at times other than shifting...best case -> T/O bearing. Worst case tranny bearings.

Rebuild of tranny ->$1800
Junkyard Tranny -> $150
Care to choose?

75w90

2.4 qts.

DamnedButDetermined
02-24-2003, 01:15 PM
thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.

I made it 90% of the way to work today and it didn't jerk at all, but once i got into traffic and the engine was hot i could feel it jerk again. I am going to step out on a limb here and say that more than likely it isn't the clutch or tranny that is causing it.

I had replaced the distributor cap/rotor, and plugs and wires about six months ago, so i thinki am going to buy new plugs and see if that helps out any. If that doesn't work then I will change out my fuel filter, which was changed about 7 months ago. Does anyone know what the gap should be on the new plugs? I am going to get them from pep boys but i just don't think i can trust pre gapped plugs.

Oh and maybe i can explain the whinning noise a little better. I am pretty sure it is the syncros making the noise, b/c when you downshift the syncros have to accelerate right? Well when i push in the clutch and start to push the shifter into a lower gear i can hear a whinning noise that starts slow then really gets loud and fast the closser i get to being in gear. Oh well i will see if the fluid change fixes it or not.

thanks,
-DbD-

shanes14
07-14-2010, 07:18 PM
i think mine has the same problem. or similar. it jerks from about 2000 to 3500 rpms. i have yet to find the problem.

cc4usmc
07-14-2010, 07:21 PM
i think mine has the same problem. or similar. it jerks from about 2000 to 3500 rpms. i have yet to find the problem.

Awesome bump man, gotta be a record.

shanes14
07-15-2010, 04:50 PM
oh shit. it was somehow in the recent posts and i thought it was new. haha my b

Slovakmaxo
09-07-2011, 10:56 PM
I just repalced clutch and it seemed like it was going good but it jerks like hell, I'm thinking it's the Throughout Bearing and the pins that supposed to hold the fork which holds the disc together, so there might be a gap or something and the springs can't hold it enough. I'm going to replace the the TO bearing and see. Any ideas?

rcdad123
09-08-2011, 12:46 AM
thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.

I made it 90% of the way to work today and it didn't jerk at all, but once i got into traffic and the engine was hot i could feel it jerk again. I am going to step out on a limb here and say that more than likely it isn't the clutch or tranny that is causing it.

I had replaced the distributor cap/rotor, and plugs and wires about six months ago, so i thinki am going to buy new plugs and see if that helps out any. If that doesn't work then I will change out my fuel filter, which was changed about 7 months ago. Does anyone know what the gap should be on the new plugs? I am going to get them from pep boys but i just don't think i can trust pre gapped plugs.

Oh and maybe i can explain the whinning noise a little better. I am pretty sure it is the syncros making the noise, b/c when you downshift the syncros have to accelerate right? Well when i push in the clutch and start to push the shifter into a lower gear i can hear a whinning noise that starts slow then really gets loud and fast the closser i get to being in gear. Oh well i will see if the fluid change fixes it or not.

thanks,
-DbD-
yeah, the jerking you`re experiencing sounds like a misfire. check your spark plug wires` boots. look for burn marks on the boots. if you find some, replace them. also look for cracks inside the distributor cap. these condition can cause the spark to leak or jump around instead of going to the plugs. i believe the plug gap is .035. as far as the tranny whine, tell us what you find when you drain the fluid. also not enough fluid will make the tranny whine. good luck.