PDA

View Full Version : Clutch not fully disengaging when pedal is depressed.

Teh Luckinator
01-14-2009, 02:23 AM
This is the 3rd or 4th time it's happened. What the hell man.

I'll drive my car around for a good month or 2, park it at night, go to leave for work in the morning, and it won't go in gear. When I start the car IN GEAR, the car already starts moving! So it's like the clutch isn't fully disengaging even though the pedal is fully depressed.

First I thought it was my slave. Changed it out, still nothing.

But then, I adjusted the pedal/engagement and boom, car is fine! So I drive it around for another month or so with no problems. Same shit happens again.

So I changed my master, same thing, still nothing.

But I adjusted the pedal again. By the way I'm adjusting it so it grabs higher. I thought though that it may be just because it was a new master cylinder that I needed to adjust it anyway. So it's fine again.

My clutch started slipping so I changed the clutch. Some Illegal Garage dual diaphragm pressure plate and an XTD 6 puck sprung disc (yeah I know they suck shit). Anyway, get everything changed, bleed it, etc. Start the car, try to put it in gear, SAME FUCKING SHIT. CAR DOES NOT GO INTO GEAR.

So once again, I ADJUST THE DAMN PEDAL. Now I'm close to running out of thread.

Well that was fine, and then last night SAME BULLSHIT HAPPENED. I tried bleeding it and still nothing (slave seems fine by the way) so I adjusted the pedal. But now I have NO MORE ROOM to make it engage higher. Now it's time to actually fix the problem.

Any suggestions? Someone suggested to me that it could be the clutch fork, but I don't think that's it because it's not constant and consistent. But then I'm thinking the slave cylinder isn't being fully extended therefore the clutch isn't fully being disengaged.

It's like it's losing pressure in the system or something maybe. I don't know. All I know is I've adjusted it hella times already and I ran out of thread. What the hell man. Small hole in the hardline maybe? Nothing leaks by the way.

Also I took out the dampener when I replaced the clutch and have a stainless steel line, but that has nothing to do with it because it was acting up before I changed anything.

Maybe I'm just unlucky and got a bad master cylinder? I don't think so. It still sucks in fluid when I bleed it, slave is getting fluid too, and the piston moves. I can't think of anything else. Help me out please.

Holler!

smelly240
01-14-2009, 04:34 AM
did you check the pivot when u did the clutch. I've broken them - and they are a wear item.

Teh Luckinator
01-14-2009, 03:06 PM
that was fine too, it was checked. maybe air in the master cylinder? it seems like there's not enough pressure in the system.

Banegraphix
01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
bypass the box that your clutch line runs to i had the same kinda issue where i would be driving and my engagement point would move all over until it wouldn't go into gear. I used the Isis steel braided clutch line and after bleeding the system my engagement point is at the top. It also gave me a better pedal feel for daily driving but end result is no more problems.

just read the rest of your thread and you already did this. My only other suggestion is replace the slave cylinder

Teh Luckinator
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
that's what i thought too but i just changed the slave cylinder last month. and the piston fully extends. i'm gonna bleed my master cylinder and see what happens.

thanks for the suggestions so far, more please!

d r i f t swift
01-14-2009, 07:36 PM
so when you say the pedal is all the way down and not disengaging the clutch all the way? when you take your foot off does the pedal spring back and return all the way to the top? and have you tried to continuously pump your clutch to see if it will "build up" pressure to disengage the clutch all the way? oh yeah and it is possible to get bad/ shitty master cylinders and slave cylinders. ive personally been through 2 masters and 3 slave cylinders in the past year..

Teh Luckinator
01-14-2009, 07:48 PM
pedal feel is fine, and pumping doesn't do anything. if bleeding the master doesn't work i guess i'll try another master... fuck haha.

d r i f t swift
01-14-2009, 07:55 PM
oh and you said you had a stainless line.. double check for leaks or vacuum.. and if you do get a new master or slave go get something with a warranty so you know when it fucks up again you can go and return it as a defect and get another one. and if all fails you should do an automatic transmission swap. thats whats hot on the streets.

Teh Luckinator
01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
fuck grinded gears all the way home from work just now. changing out master cylinder tomorrow, hoping i just got unlucky with the one i put in.

nismo240sxdrifter
01-14-2009, 11:19 PM
I am having the same problem as you right now with no luck at all.

deeenniss
01-14-2009, 11:21 PM
i had the same problem for the longest time also. got fed up with it and dropped the tranny. turns out some of the little teeth on the pressure plate had broken off.

Teh Luckinator
01-16-2009, 02:04 AM
fuck my life.

changed the master. nothing. changed the slave. nothing. bled the master. nothing. dropping the tranny tomorrow and changing it.

come on baby jesus give me a break.

i don't think it's pressure plate or disc or flywheel because it happened even before i changed the clutch. maybe i just got unlucky twice? i wouldn't be surprised, i have horrible luck with cars. i guess we'll find out tomorrow.

importdude
01-16-2009, 02:15 AM
dam dunno if this helps

but i had problems with my spec stage 3 clutch

would not disengage when reving to 4k with clutch pedal down

tryed new master, slave, bleed 10000x times same crap

then when i did a build (motor blew ringlands) i found out my friend installed the TOB fork wrong(spring was not cliped).

now that its installed correctly Everything is like Butter

hth

ReLevent1
01-19-2009, 09:28 PM
son of a bitch.

ended up being the pressure plate. changed the tranny, wasn't it. changed the master. wasn't it. changed the slave. wasn't it. the pressure plate is too crazy, i guess. that double diaphragm shit was no good.

thanks for the help everyone.

-Lucky

greddyguy
01-19-2009, 09:41 PM
glad you got it fixed! shit like that can be a pain in the ass....and in the end you are slapping yourself :wackit:

bruceguy
01-21-2009, 01:34 AM
OK, check out the throw out bearing, then check out the tranny fork- that should be clicked in place!!! and the spring that keeps it in place is like a paper clip, problly whats happening is that your not getting the leverage required to fully disengage!!

check that shit, lil 50 cent clip is costing u your ass....... maybe,,,

Howlermonkey
01-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Also remember that having the pedal adjusted too "tight" won't allow the master to uncover ports that need to be uncovered or your master will never work properly.

ReLevent1
01-21-2009, 01:43 PM
SHITS FIXED! Thanks to the Ultimate Jumpsuit Crew. YOUR WELCOME LUCKY!

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/4671/l1bef9e98e4bb49c5ad3e68ft2.th.jpg (http://img119.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l1bef9e98e4bb49c5ad3e68ft2.jpg)

slothonaleash
01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
This is happening to me as well, except when I adjust the pedal to engage further up, the pedal starts creeping further and further up to the point where it the clutch starts to slip... adjust it back down and it creeps to the floor. When It's engaging on the floor, I have to pump the clutch to be able to get it in gear. Is my problem the same as yours?

Vatche
01-24-2009, 06:28 PM
im having an almost exact same issue.

my clutch pedal all the way depressed coming to a stop , and my car wants to die and i cant get it out of gear. when i start off in first it starts to move forward, then stops half pedal then starts to move again close to the top of the pedal. also has trouble going into gears getting worse.

ive checked the slave cylinder the piston goes all the way. ive changed the master. that was it either. this is now my 3rd or 4th clutch on my sr.

first clutch was an exedy stage 2 didnt last 6 months worse unevenly. second clutch was a stage 1 exedy lasted about a year til i blew my motor and it was gone by then anyway so i got another stage 2 exedy and that only lasted about 6-8 months with slipping problems, and now i tried an act stage 2 and im having this problem. its roughly the same problems from the start but gotten worse. my clutch engages really high also. im thinking the pivot ball and clutch fork are the only 2 things i havent changed or checked. ive also replaced all the seals on both the engine and tranny and i have a leak somewhere. which is annoying also. IF anyone has any ideas send me a pm. plz.

GabeS14
02-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I had the same issue for a long time after installing a blitz twin plate clutch.. after the new clutch it wouldnt go into or out of gear, so we changed the slave to a z32 slave.. it got a bit better but still had issues, so we changed the master and it got much better i still feel a bit of a tug when disengaging but it drives normal and i am able to shift normally
make sure to bleed it very very well maybe the whole system, buy new master and slave cylinders.. .. also..(did you clutch require a specific size release bearing)?not the TOB the release sleeve bearing.

!Zar!
02-06-2009, 12:36 AM
What was wrong with it?

TOB?

GabeS14
02-06-2009, 02:30 PM
What was wrong with it?

TOB?

On mine I beleive my master cylinder was worn out, so when replaced, it worked better, still have weird engagement when starting slow though.. it barely grabs and the tranny jerks back and forth till i let off completely..