PDA

View Full Version : oil pan gasket

Munki
01-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Does anyone know where I can order a redtop SR oil pan gasket? I've been looking for awile now but I cant find anything...

japslapsilvia
01-12-2009, 06:57 AM
welll there is a reason you cant find one.....b/c they dont exist......use gasket maker

Munki
01-12-2009, 07:01 AM
welll there is a reason you cant find one.....b/c they dont exist......use gasket maker

:l101:

thanks, i feel pretty stupid now...

deukalionS14
01-12-2009, 07:03 AM
^^^ word. you have to use RTV.

penco
01-12-2009, 07:33 AM
I asked the same ? when I was first swapping my sr in. Glad im not the only one.

Munki
01-12-2009, 07:37 AM
I asked the same ? when I was first swapping my sr in. Glad im not the only one.

Yeah, shit happens...

Only reason why I asked was because my oil pan is leaking really bad, and when I looked under the car it looked like there was a thick ass gasket there (about 1/4" thick)... I guess whoever owned the engine before me used lots gasket maker.

smelly240
01-12-2009, 07:57 AM
You can make one i guess outta paper? Or cork? I used vw silicone sealant (vw oilpan sealant pn d-176-404-a2) sit for 30 mins and it wont leak at all :)

its prolly expensive and the same shit as autozone sells for 4$ but i got it for free and its always worked great.

Sileighty_85
01-12-2009, 08:27 AM
and for the love of god dont use High Temp orange RTV for it.

All you need is black RTV for Oil pans, Make sure both surfaces are clean and dry, throw a bead on it, circle the bolt hole's, bolt it down and let it cure.

240sxScores
01-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Dont tighten it down all the way. Put pan on thread bolts in evenly around pan so rtv is touching the block let it sit for a little while so the rtv gets more rubbery/solid then torque the bolts down. That way all that rtv you put on doesnt just squeeze out the sides.

Mr.s13r
01-17-2009, 03:41 AM
and for the love of god dont use High Temp orange RTV for it.

All you need is black RTV for Oil pans, Make sure both surfaces are clean and dry, throw a bead on it, circle the bolt hole's, bolt it down and let it cure.

why can't you use the orange one? i used it on mine, that the only thing i got too. Lmk don't get me worry man...

zugoi
01-17-2009, 03:59 AM
I hate to say it but... HONDA silicone is the shit. I use it all the time at work and nothing has EVER leaked. Easy to apply and drys fairly quick. But if your going to silcone on your oil pan put in all the screws evenly and let the silicone set for and bit and then tighten a little bit more. If you tighten the screws all the one at once the silicone will all squeeze out like sil eight 85 said.

smelly240
01-17-2009, 05:39 AM
hondabond is pretty good - but i dont get it for free (so i'll continue to use the just as good vw/audi silicone :)

alzahakar
01-17-2009, 01:33 PM
why can't you use the orange one? i used it on mine, that the only thing i got too. Lmk don't get me worry man...

I assume the temp range of the regular black RTV is fine for an oil pan gasket. The orange is probably significantly more expensive and would be overkill.

Pacman
01-17-2009, 10:56 PM
I hate to say it but... HONDA silicone is the shit.
Also, Toyota's FIPG silicone is pretty good as well. I could have used that free tube that the engine job bought for me in my toolbox at work but I bought some Nissan Silicone for $22.00... Keep it legit, buy OE for repairs like that!!!

On a side note though, I did get a cork Fel-Pro from Kragen for the oil pan. Hmmm, weird.