PDA

View Full Version : More of my ongoing starter issues KA S13

kingkilburn
01-11-2009, 09:58 PM
My starter is good(just tested), battery was replaced, alternator is working, and I can hear the relay click.

What am I missing? This is supposed to be my DD but I'm stuck driving my '73 D100(no power steering, heat, or wipers):down:.

mikemadison_09
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
check the wires on the battery terminal. the positive might not be on fully

kingkilburn
01-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I replaced that as well.

ThunderbaySr20
01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
will it start with a boost?

kingkilburn
01-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes, I can push start it.

projectRDM
01-11-2009, 10:50 PM
What relay are you hearing?

The starting system is pretty damn simple, the key switch supplies current from it to the starter relay (manual) or starter inhibit (automatic) then to the starter solenoid. The starter itself sees high current from the battery at all times. If the solenoid is getting power than it's bad. If it's not then it's either the ignition switch or the starter relay.

reinvent
01-11-2009, 11:21 PM
unplug the ignition wire from the starter. its the small wire with a connector about a ft from starter. measure between this wire and engine with multimeter or test light . you should have have12v when key is in start position. this will tell you if your ignition switch, wiring, interlock relay, interlock switch, and wiring etc are working. you could also have someone listen to see if the interlock relay or starter is making any noise.

the most common problem after weak battery is a broken interlock switch on the clutch.

kingkilburn
01-11-2009, 11:26 PM
So it should be my ignition then.

I'll do a quick search on testing it.

EDIT
Do you mean this plug?
http://www2.partstrain.com/store/images/prodimage/images/WORLDPAC/W01331602232ND.JPG

reinvent
01-11-2009, 11:46 PM

look at your clutch switch to see if it looks broken first

reinvent
01-11-2009, 11:53 PM

EDIT
Do you mean this plug?
http://www2.partstrain.com/store/images/prodimage/images/WORLDPAC/W01331602232ND.JPG

yeah, that would be the plug. you test the other side that should be bringing in12v positive.

dont forget to depress clutch when doing this test. the clutch switch powers the starter relay.

kingkilburn
01-12-2009, 12:50 AM
I stuck one probe in the plug and the other on the battery. The volt meter read -12.20 V.

reinvent
01-12-2009, 01:55 AM
I stuck one probe in the plug and the other on the battery. The volt meter read -12.20 V.

The plug of the wire that is coming in I assume, not the wire that is connected to starter. and you were connecting it to negative terminal of battery I hope.

Sounds like starter is getting power from ignition switch, then. you better try jump starting new battery to rule that out for sure. try knocking the starter solenoid and starter motor to make sure you dont have an intermittent problem. the negative 12 is ok. have someone listen to starter for any noise it may make when turning key to start.

The starter ground or even the engine ground can be bad. You can ground starter by connecting metal parts of starter to engine block. Some people recommend sanding the interface between starter and engine.
Also ensure engine is grounded. ie connected to negative of battery. measure resistance from neg. battery terminal to engine block.
2. The 12v+ wire from postive terminal of battery to solenoid can be faulty. this is a constant 12v positive. inspect to see if it looks good.

clean battery cables and all that good stuff.

if that all fails, connect positive battery terminal to ignition wire at starter. Car in neutral of course. This will tell you if the starter relay is sending weak signal.etc

check the 75 amp alternator fuse for the heck of it.

kingkilburn
01-12-2009, 04:30 PM
I pulled the starter back off. the mating surface was greasy and corroded. I don't think that is very conductive.

My solution was a wire brush for the starter and some degreaser/shop towels for the block. Every thing is working great now.

Thanks for all the help.

reinvent
01-12-2009, 05:39 PM
I pulled the starter back off. the mating surface was greasy and corroded. I don't think that is very conductive.

My solution was a wire brush for the starter and some degreaser/shop towels for the block. Every thing is working great now.

Thanks for all the help.

Nicely done:) So the starter wasnt get a good ground because of the rust barrier between it and the block. Thats pretty rare.