PDA

View Full Version : does snell2000=sa2000?

rancid240
02-20-2003, 11:25 AM
just want to make sure, if i buy a snell2000 helmet and autocross i dont want to find out its not the same as a sa2000. thanks

ALTERED4
02-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by rancid240
just want to make sure, if i buy a snell2000 helmet and autocross i dont want to find out its not the same as a sa2000. thanks

to autocross, your helmet has to be snell approved, i dont remember the year, but 2000 sounds about right... it can either have an "m" or an "sa" rating... at least where im at, the only time sa helmets are required is when road racing, sa (special applications) are fireproof...

adey
02-20-2003, 04:05 PM
a snell 2000 should still have a rating of either "SA" or "M" ... Ms are not fireproof, while SAs are; you need an SA for road race (SpeedtrialUSA type stuff) but usually only "M" for Auto-X.
Email the guy back, and find out whether it's M or SA... if he can't tell you, don't buy it! :)
Good luck finding a helmet! (And DO NOT go to simpson world down in torrance, they're a bunch of idiots.)

AceInHole
02-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Summit Racing has a couple $100 helmets. One is Snell M2000 approved, the other just says DOT approved. i wonder if the 2nd one would even be legal for anythiing other than a passenger seat "decal"?

sykikchimp
02-20-2003, 04:53 PM
I recently bought a sa2000 simpson super voyager.. pretty sweet. they only make SA helmets.

I would suggest trying on the helmet before buying. this is a MUST. seriously, all helmets fit dfferently, and if you don't get one that fits properly it could be dangerous. When they sized my head, they sized me at a 7 1/4.. I ended up buy a 7 1/2 because the 7 1/4 caused pressure points on my forehead, and was too tight on my cheeks to even move.

When you try on a helmet make sure you don't have any pressure on the front or back of your head. The cheek pads should put pressure on your cheeks, but you should still be able to chew gum. Don't worry if it fits a little tight at first. thats a GOOD thing. The helmet will break in.

Also, if your gonna wear a balaclava (head sock) make sure you wear one while trying on the helmet. It makes a difference in how the helmet fits.

adey
02-20-2003, 05:30 PM
I must disagree-- simpson do (in my experience) make M2000 helmets; I tried a couple on before I realized they were M2000. xp
I have to admit, my simpson is a great helmet (Voyager? SuperVoyager? I forget) -- good visibility, usable with glasses, no fogging, good fit... but I couldn't stand their "customer service" -- even to your face they were rude!

Unless you mean the "super voyager" as a model (not having M2000), I do believe that Simpson make other M2000 models.