PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET: Additional BPU mods?

Integra GS
01-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey All,

I just picked up a 240 w/ the following mods:

-tomei 270 Cams
-Blitz BOV
-Blitz filter
-Koyo Aluminum radiator
-XS power front mount intercooler
-Driveshaft shop 1 Peice aluminum driveshaft
-Blitz turbo timer
-Autometer boost / oil pressure / air fuel guages
-Megan Stainless Manifold wrapped in header wrap
-3 inch Stainless Megan downpipe
-3 inch full Megan stainless catback
-Exedy clutch
-all 3 inch aluminim intercooler piping

Those are just almost basic performance upgrades already.

In its current form, it has approx a little over 300 whp (as i was told by previous owner). Car is decently quick. Has not been to the track yet, so times are unknown.

I want to exhaust all options before I decide to upgrade the factory turbo.

Any ideas on what you guys would recommend?

Thanks.

Koopa Troopa
01-08-2009, 07:45 AM
HKS makes 272 cams, Tomei only made 270s...

I recommend some double valve springs and solid lifters and a good computer. Also get a turbo worth a shit if you're going to be running large cams like that. You'll choke out the turbo hella fast.

ILoveJDM
01-08-2009, 07:55 AM
your car with your factory turbo and 272's does not make 300whp..or even close to that, but hey, maybe im being ignorant and you have an s15 sr20.

i hope you have a upgraded fuel pump as well.

Koopa Troopa
01-08-2009, 07:59 AM
your car with your factory turbo and 272's does not make 300whp..or even close to that, but hey, maybe im being ignorant and you have an s15 sr20.

The S15 T28 couldn't handle the exhaust flow or the higher powerband of 272s. That car would be completely unfun to drive. It'd be like driving a D16 Civic with VTEC set to engage at like 6000.

Z33dori
01-08-2009, 08:01 AM
turbo elbow
test pipe
550cc injectors
manual bost controller
valve spring and retainers
rocker arm stoppers
head gasket and arp studs

Integra GS
01-08-2009, 08:09 AM
HKS makes 272 cams, Tomei only made 270s...

I recommend some double valve springs and solid lifters and a good computer. Also get a turbo worth a shit if you're going to be running large cams like that. You'll choke out the turbo hella fast.

I mistyped my cam info. Apologize for that. Im doing research on which turbo to go with currently. Theres a few out there that people are recommending, but i wont do the upgrade yet until I do my homework on it.

It dyno'd a little over 300 to the wheels from the previous owner. I will re-dyno and tune this spring. Fuel pump might've been upgraded, but not sure. I will double check once its a bit warmer outside.

The S15 T28 couldn't handle the exhaust flow or the higher powerband of 272s. That car would be completely unfun to drive. It'd be like driving a D16 Civic with VTEC set to engage at like 6000.

Car is actually pretty fun to drive. Theres no problems or hesitation at all. I know what you mean though, its like having my old B20/vtec with the VTEC disengaged.

turbo elbow
test pipe
550cc injectors
manual bost controller
valve spring and retainers
rocker arm stoppers
head gasket and arp studs

Thank you. Any specific brand that you recommend?

smelly240
01-08-2009, 09:47 AM
the factory s13 sr turbo isnt going to make anything close to 300 period

sounds like someones been pulling ur leg. blitz bov's often leak over 16psi.

S14DB
01-08-2009, 10:27 AM
What ECU/Fuel Management does it have now?
MAF?
Injectors?
T25 or T28?

I would take it to be dyno'd with AFR before you get started.

Monooxide
01-08-2009, 08:02 PM
An S14 T28 MIGHT make 300ish WHP with a Shorter intake manifold and cams. You could probably get peak torque to shift out that far to give you enough torque at redline.

I made 273 WHP on stock IM, Injectors, ECU and MAFS on 12.7 PSI.

I think it would be possible but it would be pushing it soooo hard.

Integra GS
01-10-2009, 12:06 AM
the factory s13 sr turbo isnt going to make anything close to 300 period

sounds like someones been pulling ur leg. blitz bov's often leak over 16psi.

I know there was a dyno sheet on this i believe... but i might be wrong on power.. who knows... im going to dyno it again in spring. Im also looking into another BOV.

What ECU/Fuel Management does it have now?
MAF?
Injectors?
T25 or T28?

I would take it to be dyno'd with AFR before you get started.

I believe everything fuel wise is still factory. T28
An S14 T28 MIGHT make 300ish WHP with a Shorter intake manifold and cams. You could probably get peak torque to shift out that far to give you enough torque at redline.

Im hoping with the intake manifold, throttle body, fuel management and a tune.. to be at 340-360whp.

Sileighty_85
01-10-2009, 12:50 AM

you are/were leaning the shit out of your engine on 370cc's I dyno'd my old set up T28,Stock MAF,ECU, Inj. @ 10psi 254whp began to lean out after 5000rpm's im talkin 16 AFR's

Im hoping with the intake manifold, throttle body, fuel management and a tune.. to be at 340-360whp.

Not on a Stock T28 your not, if you want those numbers you need a GT2871R at the least

Monooxide
01-10-2009, 02:22 AM
you are/were leaning the shit out of your engine on 370cc's I dyno'd my old set up T28,Stock MAF,ECU, Inj. @ 10psi 254whp began to lean out after 5000rpm's im talkin 16 AFR's

No, I honestly wasn't. 11.2 at 4000 RPM and 12.2 at Redline... believe it or not.

deukalionS14
01-12-2009, 11:46 PM
I agree with sileighty 85. you're going to need a bigger turbo like the GT2871r. but i personally wouldnt run 272 cams with the T28 or GT2871r. with those cams it would have to be the GT2871r .86 or bigger. you should go GT30XX haha that i heard is pretty fun and the cams would accomadate those turbo's better than the smaller GT2871r .64.

I bought the GT2871r .64 and run BC 264/264 cams. great mid range and really fun ro drive and has 400rwhp potential but the average is around 360rwhp . I'm personally shooting for 375 though :P

Hope this helped a little

steve shadows
01-13-2009, 12:55 AM

Where did you get this idea from?

270-272's are usable with T28, I wouldnt recommend it with T25 but it doesnt mean it would not drastically improve performance in part of the power bad.

If tuned properly a T28 S15 Turbo equipt SR will have an almost perfect power band with the Tomei 270 Cams.

The difference between the 272 HKS and 270 Tomei has a lot more to do with Ramp Rate of the cams and the camlobe profile than the duration and lift (remember HKS Step 2 have a much leass agressive lift than the Tomei which are 12.05 mm lift iirc).

In Japan's N1 class (iirc) the cars are limited to 300 whp and 300 TRQ, 270's with stock S15 motors are the name of the game, these cars are violently fast, again they are tuned for hours on a dyna-pack or other steady state with HKS-F-Con for Rytech to get the most out of the cams and turbo.

I actually recommend for money's sake the S15 turbo + 270 Tomei's over the price of a GT2871R. I think the gains are minimal when compared to investing the saved money (300-500 dollars) into a EMS and then having it tuned.

The GT2871R is shines at 21-22 psi with very very overhauled setup's and don't let the humble and underrated claims of many members fool you, they often have A LOT of behind the scenes support from the largest tuners who suport their numbers with thousands of hours of R and D that you will never have access to.

If I were personally to build a street/track SR20DET motor again, I would use a GT2860R (S15 Turbo) on a stock S15 motor, with Tomei Rytech Computer, 18psi and 22 psi maps, with Tomei 260 Intake and 270 exst camshafts. Then I would sit on the dyno for about 5 hours putting it through it's paces. What i would end up with is a car than makes about 40 less peak HP than a common 2871R setup but with more low end torque, faster - and the same general torque curve shape and amount after 4k rpms. I actually hope to build a setup like this one day in a very stripped and light S13 Coupe Chassis, I belive it would be the perfect Tougue setup imho.

I guarantee you in a heads up roll on race out of a corner onto the main straight the cars would be nearly identical in acceleration, in fact the S15 Equipt car might even make it out a litte quicker depending on what gear the car was in on the way out on exit acceleration.

The GT2871R is a great turbo, but I think a lot people are living in a world of inflated dynojet numbers, exaggerated claims, or runs made on high octane under very controlled conditions. I also believe the way of really getting the maximum potential out of a turbo of the GT2871R has long been lost to import magazine hype and obsession with reaching a particular peak number as a way of legitimizing ones investment, without actually focusing on how FAST or reliable or fun the car will be to drive when the car is finally off the rollers and completed.

GSXRJJordan
01-13-2009, 02:24 AM
*knowledge*

This is why I have a BB T28, and am happy with it - once I get cams and have Steve work his ECU magic, I think it will be the most fun.

Oh, and Steve knows his shit, just in case you were wondering.

smelly240
01-13-2009, 04:40 AM
340-360 on a t28 - no

not leaning out 370's - no

tomei mistyped hks??? wtf? You dont even know what u have - do you even know which motor you have?

300HP t25 - no

take a pic of the engine and we'll tell you what u have.

deukalionS14
01-13-2009, 05:04 AM
Where did you get this idea from?.......
:bowdown:

Your knowledge is amazing sir...i stand majorly corrected with my last comment.

The GT2871R is a great turbo, but I think a lot people are living in a world of inflated dynojet numbers, exaggerated claims, or runs made on high octane under very controlled conditions. I also believe the way of really getting the maximum potential out of a turbo of the GT2871R has long been lost to import magazine hype and obsession with reaching a particular peak number as a way of legitimizing ones investment, without actually focusing on how FAST or reliable or fun the car will be to drive when the car is finally off the rollers and completed.You're 100% right about being obsessed with reaching a particular peak number. However, i hope to not be included into the group that uses that to legitimize an investment. I'm shooting for 375rwhp but as long as the car is great to drive and is in fact actually fast then i will have ZERO complaints about weather it makes it to that number or not. Just like everyone else, i just want to use the parts to it's max potential and enjoy the ride!!

I was recommended this turbo because i was told it was fun!! :boink:

Integra GS
01-14-2009, 10:45 PM
340-360 on a t28 - no

not leaning out 370's - no

tomei mistyped hks??? wtf? You dont even know what u have - do you even know which motor you have?

300HP t25 - no

take a pic of the engine and we'll tell you what u have.

It was an honest mistake. It is tomei. And I do know what i have. Redtop SR20det w/ T28 turbo.

And even if i did take a pic of the motor, you wont really know what it has, since all it will show is just that.. a motor.

I bought the car as-is, and everything thats listed was copied from the original thread that I found of the car for sale.

Integra GS
01-14-2009, 10:54 PM
If tuned properly a T28 S15 Turbo equipt SR will have an almost perfect power band with the Tomei 270 Cams.

I actually recommend for money's sake the S15 turbo + 270 Tomei's over the price of a GT2871R. I think the gains are minimal when compared to investing the saved money (300-500 dollars) into a EMS and then having it tuned.

If I were personally to build a street/track SR20DET motor again, I would use a GT2860R (S15 Turbo) on a stock S15 motor, with Tomei Rytech Computer, 18psi and 22 psi maps, with Tomei 260 Intake and 270 exst camshafts. Then I would sit on the dyno for about 5 hours putting it through it's paces. What i would end up with is a car than makes about 40 less peak HP than a common 2871R setup but with more low end torque, faster - and the same general torque curve shape and amount after 4k rpms. I actually hope to build a setup like this one day in a very stripped and light S13 Coupe Chassis, I belive it would be the perfect Tougue setup imho.

Thank you for the knowledge. I really appreciate it. In all honesty, I'm just looking to build a nice fun street/strip car.

I will look into the parts that you've listed and do research on those.

Once again, much appreciation.