PDA

View Full Version : high startup idle/long time to warm up

dujott30
01-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey guys, I've been searching the forum for a while off and on, but it seems like I can't find anyone with the exact problem as me. So hopefully I can get some educated insight from the Zilvia guru's. Here's my story:

I purchased my car from a friend, a redtop sr20 swapped s13 hatch, this past summer with the intentions of fixing up a couple small problems here and there. One of the problems that has confused and bugged me the most is the way my car starts and idles, and also how long it takes to warm up.

When the car is cold and starts up, the idle jumps to just over 2k. This seems ridiculously high to me. When I release the clutch, the idle drops only about 200 rpm and settles at 2k. I usually let the car warm up if I have the choice, and about 5-10 minutes later the idle is down to about 1k, and the temp needle begins to climb. When I first start driving, the car wants to hesitate, sputter, etc. at low rpms. Once I start driving it, the idle settles at about 8-900 and the temp needle stays at a good operating temperature.

Anyone know what this may be, or has anyone had this problem before? I have thought of some things it may be (like the thermostat) but my problem seems a little bit more severe than others I have read.

Thanks in advance for any help.:wavey:

slider2828
01-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Change coolant temp sensor.... then thermo....

dujott30
01-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Swapped out the cts with a new one with no noticeable change. I will change the thermostat asap too. thanks

reinvent
01-06-2009, 05:45 PM
don't go changing random parts. the first thing to do is check your coolant level in the radiator. check for leaks.

not sure about the high idle. the air regulator is open during warmup which adds around 500 rpm