PDA

View Full Version : Swapping comp housing turbo blades

mystacarlo
01-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Is it possible to swap compressor housing turbo blades on a garret GT3076R, the turbo i wanna put comp blades are chipped up and the turbine blades are perfect, and i have another turbo where the comp blades are perfect but the turbine blades are chewed up, is it possible to swap the comp housing blades?.

Ima post pix of the blades, for yawls opinion if it really matters that the comp housing blades are damaged.

Mister.E
01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
i would definitely think that the damage to the blades does matter. it could possibly throw the blades and shaft out of balance causing even further damage. whether or not the blades can be swapped or not, im not sure. i think it depends on the compressor size and possibly the maker

slider2828
01-06-2009, 05:01 PM
No entire chra must be replaced.... pretty sure of that... Email atpturbo.com

Z U L8R
01-06-2009, 10:33 PM
you can swap the compressor wheels, but you do want to be careful of the one that you use does't have the shaft play that caused those blades to get bent

on the downside.......i would recommend you let a turbo rebuilder do it so they can balance it. i wouldn't just slap it together unbalanced and expect it to last forever

just my .02,

great turbo tho, one of my fav's

Dave

eclipse_dsm
01-06-2009, 10:38 PM
GT3076R - Ball Bearing. You would definitely need a new CHRA. Call turbo rebuilders and they wouldn't even touch it. The moment you pull the turbine shaft off you will see those little ball bearings come fall off.

Z U L8R
01-06-2009, 10:45 PM
no you won't.

you hold the exhaust blade in place so it cannot spin (vice grips work well), take the 12 point nut off on the compressor wheel which is REVERSE THREADED so tighten to loosen in other words

swap the wheel and go.

i would just recommend you get it balanced, and whatever chra you're using better not be the blade bender with uber shaft play k

Dave

eclipse_dsm
01-06-2009, 11:02 PM
If the blades are chewed from the top, due to some thing that got sucked thru the intake then swapping wheel would be ok but there would be an issue of balance. Mostly turbo rebuilder balance the shaft with both wheels out of CHRA. Now if its chewed to the side then consider a new CHRA as that would be due to some serious shaft play. GL!

mystacarlo
01-06-2009, 11:04 PM
thanx guys, ima try to swap the blades, hopefully it will be easy. the turbo its self has no shaft play at all and it spins smooth as hell, if u blow on the wheels it will spin so the turbo itself is in excellent condition, but if i i do fuck it up, i spent lil or nothing on it anyway.

Z U L8R
01-06-2009, 11:25 PM
GT30/76R one of the best street turbo's out there

Dave

MongolPup
01-06-2009, 11:43 PM
God I'd love to find one cheap enough I don't care if I fuck it up lol. IMHO Fullrace's twin-scroll GT3076R kit is the holy grail of street-able SR turbo set ups.

mystacarlo
01-07-2009, 12:05 AM
i bought this for 200, its good to have rich friends who dont care how much they paid for sumthing. lolol