PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer needle going out of control and how do i remove my side windows?

Sil1580
02-17-2003, 10:17 PM
hey wassup guys not sure if any of you have faced the same problem that i am dealing with right now, but sometimes when i drive my car, speedometer needle goes all the way pass 115mph. Whatcan be the problem? And sometimes my speedometer don't even work at all!

And like the other thread posted about the removing tin, i want to do the same also but i can't seem to remove the rear windows to do so. The only nut i see to remove the rear windows is the one under placed lower the window. is there any more to remove?

mrmephistopheles
02-17-2003, 11:36 PM
Try replacing your VSS (Vehicle speed sensor). It's near the rear of the tranny held in by a 10mm bolt.
As for the windows, get a heat gun. They're held in primarily by butyl rubber...

-Kevin

Sil1580
02-18-2003, 12:03 AM
so theres only one bolt holding the window on? where would i get a VSS from? and thanks for the reply

Sil1580
02-18-2003, 12:12 AM
O yea and another problem i am facing, When ever i close or open and start my car my clock on my analog speedo resets. What causes this and what can i do about it not reseting all the time?

I am trying to keep all my problems I am facing under one post

AceInHole
02-18-2003, 01:14 AM
sounds like you should just plain check the plugs on the back of your dash.... a loose connection could be the cause of your clock and speedo problems.

mrmephistopheles
02-18-2003, 07:22 PM
Check your grounds. Also check ALL of your connections to the back of your instrument cluster. This could be causing your erratic speedo, too. You can get a new VSS at your local Nissan dealer.

deviousKA
02-18-2003, 10:26 PM
could the vss problem be why my speedo sometimes never works? ill find a way to fix it tomorrow

ca18guy
02-19-2003, 11:25 AM
The clock problem is your fuses, the intereior light fuse is the one blown i think.

As for the speedo, i had that problem, I eventually gave up trying to fix the cluster and just replaced it with a junkyard cluster.

Sil1580
02-19-2003, 11:46 AM
another problem that i have with the car is there is a "squeeky" sound everytime i brake. Are my pads going out? or is it something else? what can i do to get rid of that noise?

Sil1580
02-20-2003, 05:20 PM
o yea and two more things, why does my wiper go on when ever i start my car with the door open?

and i have a '89 auto, is overdrive on when the orange light is on or is it off? and when i push the OD button down on my shift knob on highway my car's rpm normally stays at 3k but when i push the OD out the rpm jumps to 4k so how do i know if the OD is on or off?

AceInHole
02-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Sil1580
another problem that i have with the car is there is a "squeeky" sound everytime i brake. Are my pads going out? or is it something else? what can i do to get rid of that noise?

o yea and two more things, why does my wiper go on when ever i start my car with the door open?
I'm guessing you've got a crossed connection somewhere.... all i can say is good luck finding that.

and i have a '89 auto, is overdrive on when the orange light is on or is it off? and when i push the OD button down on my shift knob on highway my car's rpm normally stays at 3k but when i push the OD out the rpm jumps to 4k so how do i know if the OD is on or off?
pretty sure when the light is on OD is off, since OD is normally on.
When OD is on, the tranny is allowed to "freewheel". if you're on the highway and you let off the gas, the car will coast fairly freely with OD on. With OD off, the car will slow quite a bit due to compression braking.

boro240
02-20-2003, 09:10 PM
overdrive lets the car go into 4th gear. without it on youre in 3rd on the freeway, thats why the RPM jump.

Sil1580
02-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ca18guy
The clock problem is your fuses, the intereior light fuse is the one blown i think.

As for the speedo, i had that problem, I eventually gave up trying to fix the cluster and just replaced it with a junkyard cluster.

After you replaced the cluster you had no problems? will any 89 -90 cluster work? just hoping the cluster is not in the same condition as mines...