PDA

View Full Version : HICAS

banh mi
11-12-2001, 07:16 PM
can someone tell me how exactly does the HICAS system on our rides really work......i'm not too sure....thanks

KoukiS14
11-12-2001, 10:22 PM
Had it on my 92 Canadian LE... I LOVED it. . I don't care what anyone says about it, seems the only people that hate it are people that don't HAVE it. .  I miss it. .

Anyway, the Super HICAS system is just that, a system... it's comprised of not only four wheel steering, but also the stiffest factory springs available, as well as a tighter ratio steering for the front wheels.    Mechanically, the rear steering is actuated hydraulicly, wiith the power steering fluid.. The system is speed sensitive.  At lower speeds, like in a parking lot, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction as the front wheels (not easy to see... maybe 1 or 2 degrees), kinda like the way the HONDA system works ALL the time haha. . =)  sorry..  anyway, at higher speeds, the rear wheels turn the opp. direction for a split second, then settle in the same direction as the front wheels... I call this "The shopping cart effect"
It's a #### of a system, and 100% seemless... I never noticed any negative symptoms, as some people have reported.  Such as "twitchiness" in corners... I have no idea what that word means I guess...  I'd kill to have HICAS on my S14...

-Rob

11-12-2001, 11:35 PM
i heard its still kinda rough in the snow during winter.....

konkman
11-13-2001, 12:38 AM
Snow isn't my issue with HICAS, it's wet weather, and from what I have heard, driving with high horsepower.  

I the wet the rear tires can move and cause you to loose stability in the rear.  The same affect can be noticed once you start driving with alot of torque (turbo KA, RB, SR engines).  This is why stillen came up with the HICAS elimiator kit.

I Love my HICAS and wouldn't give it up for anything.

KoukiS14
11-13-2001, 09:56 PM
Really?  Loss of stability in wet weather?  hehe. . maybe that's why I liked it so much =)
I could take curves almost sideways, at slow, controlled speeds in that car. . following other cars lol I'd love to do that. .   Yeah. . I got my S14, because the chances of finding another S13 that had HICAS AND was Canadian, without driving to BFE, Manitoba wasn't likely...  Mine was falling apart. . miss that hicas. .  Maybe this will be an incentive to get that Skyline?

-Rob