PDA

View Full Version : spark plug oil leak

singlecamslam
12-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Alright i know that my spark plug gasket leaks, the one on the valve cover. I also noticed that my car smokes a little bit of blue smoke right when this leak has started. Someone told me its because of this gasket, but it makes no sense, how can the oil get into the combustion chamber? The oil should build up on top of the spark plug and the wires right? Or can the oil get in there somehow.

s13boy89
12-28-2008, 01:52 PM
it maybe gets on your headers or i think its the oil ring

singlecamslam
12-28-2008, 02:08 PM
i checked my compression and its fine. I just want to know if the spark plug gasket can get oil in to the combustion chamber.

Om1kron
12-28-2008, 02:14 PM
once you remove the plug all that oil falls down into the cylinder.

singlecamslam
12-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Yea but besides that it cant get into the combustion chamber right? I did just pull off my elbow and there was a little bit of oil on it, i think my turbo is going bad.

5150Fab
12-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Having a light oil coating in the elbow is normal.

If your turbo is bad you will know it. If its a stock t25 your probably right and the turbo needs to be rebuilt/replaced.

oil drips in when plugs are pulled, like Om1Kron said is my guess.

racepar1
12-28-2008, 04:25 PM
WTF??? Spark plug gasket huh? You must be referring to a valvecover gasket. Oil cannot get into the combustion chamber because of a bad valvecover gasket, even if it is going into the spark plug hole. It can get onto the exhaust manifold and cause some smoking from the engine bay. I have no idea why you haven't just replaced the damn gasket though. It is cheap as hell and takes a whole whopping 30 mins. That oil in the plug hole can ruin the plug wire and cause a misfire. The blue smoke is most likely related to the valvestem seals, although a piston oil control ring can be leaky without immediately affecting compression.

5150Fab
12-28-2008, 04:49 PM
yes, you can get oil in by taking the plugs out with oil filled spark plug holes, ive seen it with my own two eyes.

VC gasket will fix that problem.

racepar1
12-28-2008, 04:52 PM
yes, you can get oil in by taking the plugs out with oil filled spark plug holes, ive seen it with my own two eyes.

VC gasket will fix that problem.

No shit..... The OP isn't complaining about it smoking ONLY after he removes the plug. It happens all the time. Reading comprehension.......

5150Fab
12-28-2008, 05:09 PM
thats what i get for skimming through...

Try a leak down to check off rings being muffed up.

Could be valve seals or turbo if not.

reinvent
12-28-2008, 05:15 PM
thats what i get for skimming through...

Try a leak down to check off rings being muffed up.

Could be valve seals or turbo if not.

well, you prolly didnt go to vocational school. apparently, that is where all the reading comprehension happens.

singlecamslam
12-28-2008, 05:26 PM
No i'm not talking about the valvecover gasket. I think its called the spark plug well gasket? Anyways, it smokes when i get on the gas. I checked the turbo for shaft play, has little to none. There is a little bit of oil on the elbow, its a t28. I'm pretty sure its either the valvestem seal or maybe a oil ring. Its a relitively low mile motor and never ran over 7PSI of boost.

reinvent
12-28-2008, 05:46 PM
sparkplug well gasket.

racepar1
12-28-2008, 05:50 PM
:duh: The "sparkplug well gasket" Is part of the valvecover gasket set, it IS a damn valvecover gasket. It is NOT sold separately. Replace it.

HalveBlue
12-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes, this can happen. Although it is rare.

And yes, there ARE gaskets around the the spark plug wells on the valve cover.

They tend to be seated pretty well on most valve covers so a lot of people forget that they're even there.

If you have a damaged/missing gasket on one of the wells and your spark plugs don't create a good seal oil may very seep past the plugs into the combustion chamber.

Luckily for you, it's a cheap and easy fix.

Just take off the valve cover, clean everything real good and replace all the gaskets.

If it continues smoking after this, you've got other problems to worry about.

Good Luck!

reinvent
12-28-2008, 06:04 PM
:duh: The "sparkplug well gasket" Is part of the valvecover gasket set, it IS a damn valvecover gasket. It is NOT sold separately. Replace it.

Nobody said it was sold separately. It's an expensive gasket and most people end up stripping the valve cover bolts when replacing it.

racepar1
12-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Nobody said it was sold separately. It's an expensive gasket and most people end up stripping the valve cover bolts when replacing it.

Dude you can get a valvecover gasket set for like $25 max from autozone or some shit. It is a friggin gasket, you don't need a dealer part. If most people strip the bolts then most people are idiots. DO NOT tighten the shit out of the bolts, it is not necessary. When I hear "sparkplug gasket" I think if the metal crush washer that seals the plug onto the head.

5150Fab
12-28-2008, 07:24 PM
this wouldnt cause the motor to smoke out of the exhaust anyways. The sparkplug is tight, holds tons of combustion pressure without leaks.

I did some maintenance on my brothers cadi, had water in the spark plug holes from washing the motor. Water was in there for a while, so oil probably isnt getting in there through the sp hole.

fix it anyways though, cheap easy and who wants oil all over the motor. how long have you had the motor? do you push the motor hard all the time like drifting or hard driving? If on stock t25 its probably beat. check the shaft play make sure its not out of this world sloppy. I had a t25 explode, the turbine shot out of the downpipe onto the highway. Didnt smoke to much before either.

bbejj123
12-28-2008, 07:39 PM
this wouldnt cause the motor to smoke out of the exhaust anyways. The sparkplug is tight, holds tons of combustion pressure without leaks.

I did some maintenance on my brothers cadi, had water in the spark plug holes from washing the motor. Water was in there for a while, so oil probably isnt getting in there through the sp hole.

fix it anyways though, cheap easy and who wants oil all over the motor. how long have you had the motor? do you push the motor hard all the time like drifting or hard driving? If on stock t25 its probably beat. check the shaft play make sure its not out of this world sloppy. I had a t25 explode, the turbine shot out of the downpipe onto the highway. Didnt smoke to much before either.

yet again you failed to read before posting. he checked the shaft play little to none...Like said before check the gasket its cheap and if your still having problems then post back.

racepar1
12-28-2008, 07:59 PM

:werd: msglngth