PDA

View Full Version : Bad wheel bearing. HELP!

AndyCs13
12-27-2008, 10:48 AM
i just got done doin my 5 lug in the rear a couple weeks ago and now the damn wheel bearing on one side went out.

Two questions:

1. What would cause the bearing to wear out? Was it something i did?

2. I called autozone and they only sell the entire hub assembly for 125. Can i get just the bearings from somewhere else, and if i do how do i go about installing them?

i'm starting to see how ppl get burnt out on working on 240s. shit just keeps breaking.

atutt
12-27-2008, 11:53 AM
If it's only $125 for the entire hub set up... Just suck it up and buy it...

Here in Canada I can get just the wheel bearings themselves... For about $250 per bearing...

AndyCs13
12-27-2008, 12:15 PM
i hear ya.

i'd rather not risk buying another used one and having it go out on me too.

is there anyway to utilize the 4 lug bearing with the 5 lug hub?

Impact Black
12-27-2008, 12:40 PM
I just replaced my rear bearings and the only way you can get them is with the rear hub assembly. I work at a parts store and looked at all the options. This is the best wasy to do it. You do have to get the hub pressed into the rear hubs though.

BoostedCoupe
12-27-2008, 01:16 PM
I just replaced my rear bearings and the only way you can get them is with the rear hub assembly. I work at a parts store and looked at all the options. This is the best wasy to do it. You do have to get the bearing pressed into the rear hubs though.
maybe?

msglength

WERDdabuilder
12-27-2008, 01:43 PM
i just got done doin my 5 lug in the rear a couple weeks ago and now the damn wheel bearing on one side went out.

1. What would cause the bearing to wear out? Was it something i did?

had the same thing happen to me. my rear driver side went out. could happen from over torquing of the axle nut.

you can use the bearings from your 4lug hubs and get that pressed in or just lurk around the the buy section for some s14/z32 rears hubs and replace it.

projectRDM
12-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Find someone locally with a press, press the 5lug hub out of the bad bearing and reuse your old 4lug bearing for the cheap route, or buy a new bearing and press the 5lug hub into it. Either way you're going to need a press.

I believe the AutoZone price is just the bearing, I've never seen anyone offer the hub and bearing already assembled.

jrbump
12-27-2008, 03:22 PM
I just bought a front and a rear bearing for my 98 here:

Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto (http://rockauto.com/)

$140 shipped for one front and one rear (5 lug).

From all the research I did the beck arnley bearings are a great replacement.

AndyCs13
12-27-2008, 04:56 PM
just found out its not the wheel bearing. its the axel.

thanks for all the suggestions guys

KFLS14
12-27-2008, 09:19 PM
I just bought a front and a rear bearing for my 98 here:

Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto (http://rockauto.com/)

$140 shipped for one front and one rear (5 lug).

From all the research I did the beck arnley bearings are a great replacement.

This is for only S14s
Front you MUST buy a new wheel hub as its 1piece bearing/hub.(non-replaceable wheel bearing) Rear you can just buy the wheel bearing alone.

Also for removal if you have a vice/sockets etc. You should be able to remove it and reinstall.

AndyCs13
12-27-2008, 09:21 PM
it was the rear

either way it doesnt matter because my bearings are fine.