PDA

View Full Version : Transmission dust sheild

SR240DET
12-25-2008, 12:30 AM
I have a s14, and I used a s13 ka24de transmission/engine with a silvia (year is unknown) propeller shaft. The s13 transmission dust cover ended up rubbing the propeller shaft dust shield, so I removed the dust cover on the transmission.

QUESTION: Now I have a s14 ka24de transmission/engine getting ready to be put into my s14, and I was seeing if anybody knew if the dust cover will rub on the silvia propeller shaft dust sheild?

I tested it out and it felt like there was about 1mm- 2mm of play between the propeller shaft dust shield and transmission dust cover. I cannot remember exactly, but I think that’s about how much play I had with my s13 ka transmission.

I know it seems like im making a big deal out of nothing, but my rear transmission oil seal keeps collecting sand, causing a oil leak. Changing that seal every 2,000 – 4,000 miles is getting annoying. Thanks for any help.

98s14inaz
12-25-2008, 08:34 AM
I have a s14, and I used a s13 ka24de transmission/engine with a silvia (year is unknown) propeller shaft. The s13 transmission dust cover ended up rubbing the propeller shaft dust shield, so I removed the dust cover on the transmission.

QUESTION: Now I have a s14 ka24de transmission/engine getting ready to be put into my s14, and I was seeing if anybody knew if the dust cover will rub on the silvia propeller shaft dust sheild?

I tested it out and it felt like there was about 1mm- 2mm of play between the propeller shaft dust shield and transmission dust cover. I cannot remember exactly, but I think that’s about how much play I had with my s13 ka transmission.

I know it seems like im making a big deal out of nothing, but my rear transmission oil seal keeps collecting sand, causing a oil leak. Changing that seal every 2,000 – 4,000 miles is getting annoying. Thanks for any help.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I see the same gap you are talking about, I don't want to have an issue with the shaft hitting the shield.

projectRDM
12-25-2008, 11:01 AM
The S14 dust shield is much larger in diameter than the S13 and longer. If it hit on the S13, you should be fine on the S14.

SR240DET
12-25-2008, 01:55 PM
thanks again projectRDM