PDA

View Full Version : Car starting problem. clutch pedal button?help!

RedS13guy
12-24-2008, 02:03 PM
ok so i have a 91 240sx, at first all i would have to do is kick the clutch a few times in order for it to start, but one day it wouldnt start at all, when i turn the key there isnt a sound.. ok so i replace the starter, the battery, and the spark plugs.. i try to start it again, and nothing.. the same thing, its as if trying to start it without pushing down the clutch pedal..

so i get down and push the button under the clutch pedal with my finger and it starts right up.. so i think "ok theres the problem"and it started up fine for the rest of the day.

the next day, thinking my car is all fixed i go to start it the same way(with my finger on the button).. only now sometimes when i push the button and turn the key either, nothing happens at all, or it cranks but wont turn over..

my question is.. could the car NOT TURNING OVER,
yet STILL CRANKS have something to do with that button?? or do you think i might be facing yet another problem?? please help!:bash:

reinvent
12-24-2008, 02:09 PM
ok so i have a 91 240sx, at first all i would have to do is kick the clutch a few times in order for it to start, but one day it wouldnt start at all, when i turn the key there isnt a sound.. ok so i replace the starter, the battery, and the spark plugs.. i try to start it again, and nothing.. the same thing, its as if trying to start it without pushing down the clutch pedal..

so i get down and push the button under the clutch pedal with my finger and it starts right up.. so i think "ok theres the problem"and it started up fine for the rest of the day.

the next day, thinking my car is all fixed i go to start it the same way(with my finger on the button).. only now sometimes when i push the button and turn the key either, nothing happens at all, or it cranks but wont turn over..

my question is.. could the car NOT TURNING OVER,
yet STILL CRANKS have something to do with that button?? or do you think i might be facing yet another problem?? please help!:bash:

no. you probably drained your battery from all the false starts.

reinvent
12-24-2008, 02:13 PM
if jump starting with good battery does not work. jumper the clutch switch. or ground the wire going to switch.

RedS13guy
12-24-2008, 02:44 PM
say the battery isnt drained, could the switch being bad cause it to not turn over but still crank? like if its not getting a good enough signal or something?

reinvent
12-24-2008, 03:15 PM
say the battery isnt drained, could the switch being bad cause it to not turn over but still crank? like if its not getting a good enough signal or something?

its possible. the switch just sends ground to the interlock relay so just connect the wire directly to chassis of car to eliminate that possiblility.

battery is more likely though

RedS13guy
12-24-2008, 06:12 PM
yeah i havent had the chance to jump start it, since theres no other car to use around here, but what i did is disconnect the plug from behind the buttin, cut it off and connected the brown and black wire together.. but still no luck, no cranking or anything... maybe i do just need a jump start.. thanx for the advice bro.. keep it coming, its helping..

alzahakar
12-24-2008, 11:38 PM
yeah i havent had the chance to jump start it, since theres no other car to use around here, but what i did is disconnect the plug from behind the buttin, cut it off and connected the brown and black wire together.. but still no luck, no cranking or anything... maybe i do just need a jump start.. thanx for the advice bro.. keep it coming, its helping..

That switch is part of the starter interlock system. Pushing it completes a circuit that powers a relay that lets the ignition switch engage the starter. It has nothing to do with fuel or spark. If it is cranking, but not starting, try push starting. If it push starts, then it is probably just a weak battery.

RedS13guy
12-25-2008, 12:42 AM
That switch is part of the starter interlock system. Pushing it completes a circuit that powers a relay that lets the ignition switch engage the starter. It has nothing to do with fuel or spark. If it is cranking, but not starting, try push starting. If it push starts, then it is probably just a weak battery.

yeah that makes sense.. only i tried kick starting it but still no luck.. somethings just not engaging... ill try again tomorrow.. hopefully santa brings me a running car for christmas.

reinvent
12-25-2008, 01:02 AM
its not turning over so pushing starting does not give an useful diagnostic info

cotbu
12-25-2008, 01:57 AM
First... fix your clutch pedal so it hits the interlock switch. Make sure you have spark and fuel. that means (check the condition of those items responsible for fuel and spark). Then verify the timing. If there is a problem with the ignition system, the ecu may have stored a code. If this is for a KA? the only thing's that caused my KA not start, was a starter relay problem and dead alternator.

reinvent
12-25-2008, 02:08 AM
First... fix your clutch pedal so it hits the interlock switch. Make sure you have spark and fuel. that means (check the condition of those items responsible for fuel and spark). Then verify the timing. If there is a problem with the ignition system, the ecu may have stored a code. If this is for a KA? the only thing's that caused my KA not start, was a starter relay problem and dead alternator.

read the thread. its not turning over. he has already bypassed the clutch interlock switch. thanks for playing.

cotbu
12-25-2008, 02:30 AM
Maybe it's so much fail in the thread with you in it, read the rest of the post saa! I did read... where he bypassed the relay but it still not cranking AKA something wrong. What he needs to do is get a fresh battery and start over eliminating everything posted by you! WHY are you trolling this thread anyway? LAME

RedS13guy
12-25-2008, 10:35 PM
c'mon, both of you guys' advice is important to me, no need to argue.. well i didnt get a chance to work on it today bc of the rain.. hopefully it doesnt rain tomorrow so i can mess with it..

neverrain
12-25-2008, 11:13 PM
I would think that you have 2 different issues if

1. Engaging the clutch switch does nothing when trying to start.

2. Engine "sometimes" cranks but won't fire when engaging the clutch switch.

If your engine cranks, but doesn't fire, that's most likely a spark issue (aside from fuel, which I assume you have ruled out). You check the plug wires? Distributor? Alternator? I don't see them listed on your OP.

Since the clutch switch simply completes a circuit, I would check the wiring on that. Make sure the ground is good, etc. Since you bypassed it, I would make sure spark isn't your issue. I recently finished rebuilding a motor that cranked but wouldn't fire. We went through 3 distributors before it finally fired. Granted these were used parts, so they were hit and miss.

Check spark yo.

RedS13guy
12-26-2008, 02:17 PM
will do bro. will do.

reinvent
12-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Maybe it's so much fail in the thread with you in it, read the rest of the post saa! I did read... where he bypassed the relay but it still not cranking AKA something wrong. What he needs to do is get a fresh battery and start over eliminating everything posted by you! WHY are you trolling this thread anyway? LAME

good, you finally read my post. a mobile jump starter or second battery is what he needs.

RedS13guy
12-27-2008, 01:02 PM
thanx for the advice guys.. looks like no rain today, and its my day off. so its of to work on this dumb car, ill retry a kick start, and ill try a jump start.. the battery i hae is brand new, like a week old, but ur right it prolly drained.. ill see what i can do.. ill keep u guys posted! zilvia is cool, lots of helpful people.

reinvent
12-27-2008, 05:11 PM
thanx for the advice guys.. looks like no rain today, and its my day off. so its of to work on this dumb car, ill retry a kick start, and ill try a jump start.. the battery i hae is brand new, like a week old, but ur right it prolly drained.. ill see what i can do.. ill keep u guys posted! zilvia is cool, lots of helpful people.

most diplomatic post in the history of the net. truth is that the net is full of rude , ignorant know it alls who answer regardless of whether they know anything. myself excluded.