PDA

View Full Version : need help with locating things

robiniscool
12-23-2008, 05:37 PM
i failed my smog check cause of a few things. can somebody help me or tell me what a thermostatic air cleaner is and for the air injection part is it just the aiv pair? can you take a picture of them it would help a lot, thanks in advance

-robin

ericcastro
12-23-2008, 05:40 PM
i think you should download the FSM (factory service manual)
It should have ALL parts listed in there with pics.
just search for it.

Smog sucks man, good luck.

robiniscool
12-23-2008, 05:59 PM
ok i found the air injection but everythings there but on my visual inspection it said it was missing... wow but i still can't find the thermostatic air cleaner

S-Nation S13
12-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Nissan 240SX Tuning, Manuals, Product Reviews, and Original Designs (http://www.240edge.com) place where i got my fsm hm..im thinking you should bring in that diagram and show the smog tech..he is either dumb or he hasnt seen 240's probally a simply mistake visual is based on his knowledge of the vehicle so if he feels like theres a piece missin he'll fail you

ericcastro is right SMOG sucks!! GL

projectRDM
12-23-2008, 06:52 PM
There is no such thing as a 'thermostatic air cleaner'. Someone lied to you.

robiniscool
12-23-2008, 10:15 PM
thats what i was thinking but on the visual inspection it said i had a modified (thermostatic air cleaner) and missing air injection, so i was like wtf he still ran it and it passed the emissions test but failed the functional check and on visual it says tampered... i put back everything so it be stock but only the intake was aem im going agian tomorrow with a stock intake and showing him my fsm this time

robiniscool
12-23-2008, 10:16 PM
i was tripping out when he said that my AIV was modified i was like wtf??? i never changed this since i got it

S14DB
12-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Thermostatic air cleaner is the predecessor to EGR. Only used on carburetor setups.

Go with the Emissions diagram for your car from the FSM and go, "OK what is missing?"

Sound like the guy at the shop you went to hasn't had a CARB class since the 70's...