PDA

View Full Version : wipers - what'd i break?

Warwick5s
02-15-2003, 04:26 PM
because my scirocco could blow 3" of snow off my windshield, i figured my 240 could too. incorrect! now NOTHING works, no washer, no wipers front or back. fuse (the one in the footwell that says "wiper/washer" ) is ok.

what did i break? is there a relay or fuse that controls all these things i could have roasted? (if so - where is it?) or did i burn out the switch?

thanks

-jason

Natty
02-15-2003, 05:26 PM
My old Jetta could do it too. No luck with the 240sx though.
When I tried last time, they moved a bit and then stopped. Once I cleared the snow, they worked fine. Do they work at all, or just not work on snow?

Oh, are you on the Vortex? I am Natty over there.
Jeff

Warwick5s
02-16-2003, 12:30 AM
yeah i am. 90CorradoG60 over there.

they're not stuck or anything - totally free. they don't work AT ALL. :(

p_action
02-16-2003, 05:37 AM
rear wiper dead too? or is that another circut?

maybe your motor pooped out...that can happen...but the front wipers have a pretty strong motor...i wouldn't rule out the fuse, did you check it with a ohm meter? I've banged my head against the wall once for not checking the fuses with a ohm meter...so $150 alternator later...haha...

but yeah...go over the wiring again...then figure the motor pooped out on you

Warwick5s
02-16-2003, 11:35 AM
yeah the rear wiper is dead too. plus the rear washer, front washers, and front wipers.

i don't think it's the motor - wouldn't that still allow some juice to be squirted?

edit: i tried a known good fuse in there and it still did the same thing.

thanks guys

Warwick5s
02-16-2003, 02:37 PM
ok, so i'm looking at the factory service manual, and it shows there there are 'wiper amps' somewhere, i'm guessing a relay of sorts. where are they? are there two different ones for the front and back? the manual isn't real specific.

Warwick5s
02-17-2003, 02:03 PM
bump! i know it's not such a glamorous topic but i'm really new to non-volkswagen cars and don't know where to instinctively find things like i could with the A platform vws.

nrcooled
02-17-2003, 02:34 PM
There is a rush at the Nissan dealer near me on wiper arms. People keep trying to get snow off the easy way. I don't know where it is but to me it sounds like a fuse because of the fact that the rear doesn't work either.

If it is the arm that is broken take the grate off the base of the winshield. You will see two screws that hold the motors in. Take the screws out and you can disconnect the wiring. Remove the motor.

Take it apart and inspect the parts to see if anything is damaged

Hopefully this helps :confused

Warwick5s
02-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by nrcooled
There is a rush at the Nissan dealer near me on wiper arms. People keep trying to get snow off the easy way. I don't know where it is but to me it sounds like a fuse because of the fact that the rear doesn't work either.

If it is the arm that is broken take the grate off the base of the winshield. You will see two screws that hold the motors in. Take the screws out and you can disconnect the wiring. Remove the motor.

Take it apart and inspect the parts to see if anything is damaged

Hopefully this helps :confused

are there other fuses to check besides the one in the footwell?

i don't think it's the motor/arm because nothing happens when i flip the switch - no washer function either.

nrcooled
02-17-2003, 02:59 PM
I have no clue. The info I gave you was straight out of my chilton's. Go grab a chilton's or just go to your friendly Nissan Parts dept. and ask questions. This sort of thing happens alot this time of year so I am sure three or four people have had the same problem

sorry I couldn't be more help

Warwick5s
02-18-2003, 08:09 PM
bump: i think i know where the rear wiper amp is, but where's the front one. please? :D

Warwick5s
02-20-2003, 11:18 AM
anyone? :(

Warwick5s
02-21-2003, 06:49 PM
sorry - i still can't find this ANYWHERE in my service manuals...someone HAS to have seen this thing before...