PDA

View Full Version : SR20det turbo upgrade question

s13guy
02-15-2003, 02:03 PM
hey guys,

I am doing research into upping the current stock sr20det hp to about 275 RWHP. Right now I am looking at a turbo upgrade kit on zedparts.com. The Tomei ARMS B7652 turbine kit (up to 380hp)

I know I will need to do upgrades such as FMIC, 3" downpipe and exhaust, 555cc injectors, but what I am not sure about is the stock ECU. Will it handle these upgrades or does it too have to be replaced?

If so, what would people recommend I do to replace it?

Steeles
02-15-2003, 04:26 PM
JWT retune. or a Apex'i power FC. for only 275 the tomei is a bit much you could send the T25 to forced performance and have it retrimmed to a BigT28 (search for posts by abailey for more info on this upgrade) plus its a lot cheaper route if 275 is all your shooting for.

s13guy
02-15-2003, 05:44 PM
thanx for the input. The 275 is rwhp, so I will need to make around 325 engine. I will definately look into what JW can do for me.

I will start looking for the post from bailey, but if I cant find it, what was the cost on the upgrade to a T28?

DuffMan
02-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Well you will need to do something to account for the bigger injectors. An SAFC would allow you to keep the stock ecu. A JWT retune would work to. But in this case I would rather go SAFC because the retune is generic unless you actually have JWT dyno tune the car.

A dyno tuned standalone would be best but also most expensive.

lbcklik1486
02-15-2003, 07:53 PM
I also have a similar question about the ecu. Would you need to get a retuned ecu/new ecu, or could u get a piggyback system to control things like greddys e-management? :confused:

Steeles
02-16-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by DuffMan
Well you will need to do something to account for the bigger injectors. An SAFC would allow you to keep the stock ecu. A JWT retune would work to. But in this case I would rather go SAFC because the retune is generic unless you actually have JWT dyno tune the car.

A dyno tuned standalone would be best but also most expensive.

JWT can retune it without dynoing your car. they just tune for what mods you have. pretty generic and they play it really safe. (read they will still program it to run a tad rich) yes an SAFC is another alternative.

lbclik - yeah a piggy back like the emanage would probably work too. I dunno much about their system.. I've got my heart soul and wallet set on the apex'i Power FC. plug and play standalone baby :D

S13guy - yeah I knew 275 was rwhp but the tomei is still overkill for that level. for example. on the stock T25 turbo at 7psi of boost I made 205rwhp. the turbo currently is spining about 15psi. so Im probably 20-30hp off your goal on the stock turbo stock ecu stock fuel. you could probably go with one of the T28 BB units from the S14 or S15 engines and get to that level and you'd have a really quick spooling turbo to boot. its just my opinion but if your looking for that level hp no need to spend a grip on it. spend the money on other aspects to take advantage of it for now and get it ready incase you decide 275 isnt enough.

Jsquared
02-16-2003, 01:18 AM
hey steeles, you have a black S14 w/R33 nose and run at Knight's Stadium in CHarlotte a while back? i had the slow audi and i'm close to getting an S13 now :D

s13guy
02-16-2003, 03:42 AM
steeles, if I did go with something like the S15's BB T28, what other mods would you recommend to get the most out of that set up?

Should I get an R32 MAF? How much bigger of injectors do I need, will the 555's be way overkill?

Steeles
02-16-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Jsquared
hey steeles, you have a black S14 w/R33 nose and run at Knight's Stadium in CHarlotte a while back? i had the slow audi and i'm close to getting an S13 now :D

yup twas I :D how ya been man!

Steeles
02-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by s13guy
steeles, if I did go with something like the S15's BB T28, what other mods would you recommend to get the most out of that set up?

Should I get an R32 MAF? How much bigger of injectors do I need, will the 555's be way overkill?

the 550s will be fine. Z32 MAFS would be a lot easier to get and will do the job very nicely as well. The Apex'i SAFC has a setting for the Z32 already in it and would make it simpler and give you some tuneability. it too would be a worthwhile upgrade. cover your basic boltons. downpipe at least an 80mm catback setup, intake and front mount IC and a boost controller. should net you a pretty quick little setup.

nrcooled
02-16-2003, 01:31 PM
The stock 370cc can support the t28 though. I personally am going w/ the t28 compressor w/ big t25 turbine. That should give me more topend w/ roughly the same spool time

drift freaq
02-16-2003, 10:11 PM
hehehehe I am putting a S14 SR in mine. yup 230HP stock before bolt ons .

Steeles
02-17-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by drift freaq
hehehehe I am putting a S14 SR in mine. yup 230HP stock before bolt ons .

psst dont forget drivetrain losses ;) doing all the bolt ons should just get youto that rating at the wheels. :)

s13guy
02-17-2003, 01:53 AM
thanx every1 for your input.

As a matter of fact I do have access to all the dyno time I need :), my friend is openning shop as of April and has a DynaPak on order. Right now I am leaning towards the T25 rebuild/upgrade and working with bolt ons to see how far that will get me. I will prolly go with the S-AFC or if funds permit, the power FC, I just need to do a lot more research on using these to tune, they cant be as easy as some people say...

Hopefully this doesnt literally blow up in my face.

Kid Zelda
02-17-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by drift freaq
yup 230HP stock before bolt ons .

Yup, 220 not 230 is the rating

Steeles
02-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by James
It's good to see us guys talking about tuning and knowing that 300-400hp is not as simple as bolting on parts and turning the key. It's really refreshing.

Keep us updated, sounds like you're doing good research and making a sensible plan- it should be very rewarding!
You might want to look into the Forced Performance upgrade- which IS just a bolt-on upgrade- and if you ever get a PowerFC ............
we'll have a fair share of guys with PowerFC's on Freshalloy in a couple months helping each other out so you won't be alone.

hopefully I'll be one of them. no more gets touched power wise till I get mine :) saving up.. birthdays in May.. thats my goal.

s13guy
02-17-2003, 08:10 PM
I emailed forced performance about the T25 rebuild/upgrade about 3 days ago but no answer, probably because of the holliday. Hopefully they get back by wednesday cause I have to order some parts.

aeontony
02-18-2003, 12:53 AM
Before I write up the rest of my post just let me say I've read "maximum boost" and "supercharging, turbocharging, and nitrous oxide." But that was after I decided on my setup (go figure..)

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks I can do on this setup:

-S14 blacktop SR20
-Z32 MAF
-R33 GTR FMIC
-Apexi AX53B60-P25 turbo (I'm not sure what the specs are, but it's rated at 350ps)
-1.2mm metal head gasket
-Tomei valve springs/rocker arm stoppers (not really relevant, but..)
-Port and Polished head
-Walbro 255 l/h pump
-Tomei 555cc injectors
-HKS step 1 street intake/exhaust cams
-Equal length exhaust manifold
-Trust turbo extension (separates wastegate flow from main flow)
-Blitz 3" downpipe
-Custom 3" testpipe
-Apexi N1 Dual
-Greddy Profec E-01
-Greddy E-manage
-Spec Stage 2 clutch

I'm aiming for around 350whp..think it's doable?

AceInHole
02-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by aeontony

-Spec Stage 2 clutch

Just a Q: but why not go for the Stage 3 clutch??

Also... 350whp sounds reasonable on a quick glance.

Jeff240sx
02-18-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by AceInHole
Just a Q: but why not go for the Stage 3 clutch??

Also... 350whp sounds reasonable on a quick glance.

Cuz the stage 3 for sr20det motors are rated to 469 ft/lbs. It's just overkill.
-Jeff

aeontony
02-18-2003, 01:11 AM
It's rated at 399 ft/lb, so I figure it's about just right..I'm afraid of disproportional leg sizes driving around a stage 3 all day =P

LOwrestling2001
02-18-2003, 11:10 AM
headgasket gives out at 17-18psi??

aeontony
02-18-2003, 11:20 AM
It's a metal head gasket, so it's _supposed_ to be more durable. Whether theory is reality..well..
I'm also curious how high I actually have to boost to get 350rwhp. With a port and polish and high lift cams, can I boost a little less and still get my desired output?

Steeles
02-18-2003, 12:59 PM
It's a metal head gasket, so it's _supposed_ to be more durable. Whether theory is reality..well..
I'm also curious how high I actually have to boost to get 350rwhp. With a port and polish and high lift cams, can I boost a little less and still get my desired output?

add a RAS kit to that list while your in there doing the cams and such

17psi
02-19-2003, 03:15 AM
Before I write up the rest of my post just let me say I've read "maximum boost" and "supercharging, turbocharging, and nitrous oxide." But that was after I decided on my setup (go figure..)

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks I can do on this setup:

-S14 blacktop SR20
-Z32 MAF
-R33 GTR FMIC
-Apexi AX53B60-P25 turbo (I'm not sure what the specs are, but it's rated at 350ps)
-1.2mm metal head gasket
-Tomei valve springs/rocker arm stoppers (not really relevant, but..)
-Port and Polished head
-Walbro 255 l/h pump
-Tomei 555cc injectors
-HKS step 1 street intake/exhaust cams
-Equal length exhaust manifold
-Trust turbo extension (separates wastegate flow from main flow)
-Blitz 3" downpipe
-Custom 3" testpipe
-Apexi N1 Dual
-Greddy Profec E-01
-Greddy E-manage
-Spec Stage 2 clutch

I don't see you making 350whp with a turbo rated for only 350ps.....that means the turbo is rated for roughly 320hp and that rating is at the flywheel. You need a turbo rated for at least 420+hp(flywheel) to put down 350rwhp considering the ~15-20% drivetrain loss.

Even though I don't think this will matter much, but what duration cams you planning to run? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the step 1 is available in 3 different durations, most seem to prefer the 264's....I'm planning on 270 degree....also, I was told that Jun has the most aggresive "drop-in" cams.....I'm looking at either Toda or Tomei.

Like you were told earlier, go for the stage 3 clutch if you can afford it, overkill is a good thing .....especially when you could later decide that 350rwhp just isn't fast enough ;)

aeontony
02-19-2003, 03:30 AM
My understanding is that I can push the turbo harder, it'll just be less efficient. I don't know have the flow maps for this turbo, so I don't quite know the efficiency range at which they're quoting for 350ps.

I also thought that allowing the turbo to breathe a bit better may up the efficiency range a bit, too.

I'm hoping with the increased duration and increased intake area with the port and polish, my motor will simply have more time to take in the air, gaining a bit more hp. I guess I won't actually know what happens until I finish building, tuning and hit the dyno.

I will run the 264 duration cams. I heard that any higher than this, there is (in addition to really lousy idles), the chance that your motor won't even fire up. Yury over at heavythrottle advised me against the 270 Tomei cams. He said that his car wouldn't start with them in. I don't know how that can be so but hey, it's Yury. If he told me the world's coming to an end I'd probably believe him :)