PDA

View Full Version : rb25 tranny question...

kid270r
12-21-2008, 01:33 AM
ive been searching but not realy much info..im going to be picking up an rb25det from a buddy of mine. he has a ka transmission mated to an rb20det bell housing. i was told it mates up the stock s14 drive shaft.. does anyone have any imput on this?? thanks

alzahakar
12-21-2008, 01:51 AM
Sounds like bullshit to me. I wouldn't trust a RB25 mated to that transmission, and I could be wrong, but I don't think that's even possible. When it comes to motor swaps, get a complete front clip so you can get all the PROPER parts for the engine.

kid270r
12-21-2008, 02:01 AM
thats what i was wondering.. see the thing is, he had the motor runing on a Z (cant remember the model) with this setup. car got cliped from the rear. i saw the tranny and it actualy justified to what he said. im doing some research right now to see if this is possible..

edit:
its true... i found this on the skylinesdownunder forums...thanks for trying to help.

KA24DE (E) tranny will fit RB20 Bell housing, and if you have a bad RB20 tranny and not enough money for the RB25 tranny, you can take the KA tranny rear section off..the tranny internals...and directly swap them into the RB bell housing. KA tranny will work and makes for a cheap solution to tranny swaps...

projectRDM
12-21-2008, 03:00 AM
Sounds like bullshit to me. I wouldn't trust a RB25 mated to that transmission, and I could be wrong, but I don't think that's even possible. When it comes to motor swaps, get a complete front clip so you can get all the PROPER parts for the engine.

You are wrong. And why wouldn't you trust it? A KA gearbox can handle plenty of power if not abused.

But yes, the RB20 uses the same gearset, just swap the bellhousing and it bolts right up, same as the SR, CA, and VG30E.

kid270r
12-21-2008, 03:22 AM
thanks projectRDM... so i would be able to attain my s14 driveshaft? i would probably still be able to use my stock tranny mount and just fab up the motor mounts.

lazysk8er2
12-21-2008, 10:53 AM
just swap the bellhousing and it bolts right up, same as the SR, CA, and VG30E.

totally right im putting a 96 ka trany in my z31 vg30e. driveshafts stay the same so yes you can save yours if you keep the ka motor (which your not).
i have a link on z31performance.com showing how to take the bellhousing off its really simple.

however since the rb25 motor is being put in i dunno where the motor will sit. hence moving the tranny and essentially the driveshaft.

Chris K
12-21-2008, 11:27 AM
if you can get a rb25 bell housing you can use a z32 tranny with the rb25 bell housing and it will require a new drive shaft.