PDA

View Full Version : 50+mph steering shimmy...s14

s13pignose
12-17-2008, 10:36 PM
I got wheel shimmy left to right around 50-60mph. I just got new inner tie rods and outer ends along with stock tension rods with good bushings put on Tuesday, and then alignment done afterwards. All was good the evening I got the car back out the shop, but the wheel shimmy came back yesteday(wed).

I'm pretty frustrated as what to do next. I know my tires have worn irregular I'm sure, since I lowered my car summer before last and hadn't got an alignment till now. So maybe just a balance and new tires is in order..def new tires since tread bars are showing.

But what else could it be...I've read similar threads on here people say wheel bearings possible- but I hear no noise like howling or anything. Also read ball joints possible too. Neither have been replaced since I've owned the car for about 3 years now.

Any help is appreciated..if I had the money I'd replace all my suspension lol

s13 @ fullboost
12-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Check your lugs bro haha just kidding Well I hope they didn't come loose that fast but anyways If I were you I would jack the car up and take a good look if anything looks out of place,broken,not installed correctly ext. That is a good place to start

mxexux
12-17-2008, 10:56 PM
If its only when you are going over 50 mph then I would confidently say that it is a balance issue. Also if your brake rotors are warped it would also cause this sort of vibration. Does your brake pedal pulsate when you apply the brakes coming off the freeway?

s13pignose
12-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Nah brakes seem to be okay...never had an issue from em. When the tires on currently on my stock wheels were put on new, that took care of the shimmy for a short while too, but it came back like a week later. Then again didn't have all this new suspension I put on the other day. Maybe new tires and balance again will work for good this time around I hope.

Next I want steering rack bushins I think..something stiffer like nismo or poly or combo of the two

bl3ujay07
12-17-2008, 11:32 PM
My brother had same issue with his acura tl. anything over 60, his steering wheel starts to shake a bit, less smother. Got tires balanced and it was good. Hope it helps. I think balancing is the first and easiest way to go.

s13pignose
12-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Question is should I try balance even though I know the wires are showing tread bars...or wait ride out the shimmy till I have money for new tires and a balance?

wht240sx
12-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Just because tires look round, it doesnt mean they are. A perfectly balanced rim and tire could still cause a vibration. Road Force Vibration.
Since your tires are worn to the wear indicators start by replacing them and dont waste your money on balancing them.

ericcastro
12-17-2008, 11:57 PM
I know with the S13 there are issues with the shake that are not suspension related.

there is a nissan factory recall/replacement thing sent out about it.

Not sure if its for S14's though.

slider2828
12-18-2008, 12:05 AM
tires... for sure....

ericcastro
12-18-2008, 12:05 AM
couldn't find the thread with the actual link to the technical service bullitin

here is the thread I am quoting from
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/34933-steering-wheel-shake-help-diagnose-problem.html

Take it to your local Nissan dealer and ask them about the TSB (technical service bulletin) relating to a steering wheel shimmy in S13s.

Also, it's possible that your ABS sensors are picking up some sort of metal (they ARE magnetic). I recommend removing your rotors and cleaning your sensors to be 100% sure. I'm kinda leaning towards this, as ABS only kicks in above 25mph.

sorry to bring this thread back up, but i have a question about that tsb involving the spring in the steering rack. I have read that it only applies to earlier s13's, i have the 55-60 shimmy and have taken care of the many of the possible solutions (wheel balance, alignment, etc.) Could this tsb also apply to my 91 240, cause that was what i was unsure of after reading posts relating to this.

thanks in advance

Adam

mrmephistopheles, not just a MOD, also a holder of very rarely talked about Nissan info :)

lflkajfj12123
12-18-2008, 01:43 AM
look at your subframe (crossmember)

see if its bent AT ALL

GSXRJJordan
12-18-2008, 02:26 AM
tires... for sure....

Yup, it's your tires. Once you get new ones, that wear correctly, you'll be good. Much more likely tires than the tech service bulletin cause.

slider2828
12-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Yes the tech bulletin is changing the preload steering rack spring.... I did, it was useless.... Waste of time was of money.... If you change the tires and that is not the problem....

GOD GET A NEW RACK.... racks weren't made to go 225,000 miles or 13 years on a car without service... That truly helped the most of my car...

s13pignose
12-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah I saw yur post when I did a search. Alright so I'll save up for tires and try again lol. Thanks for all the help guys.

Quick non-urgent question,

any reason why my steering wheel doesn't sit a 12 o'clock even when my wheels are pointed that way? Stays at like 1 o'clock until I point it straight lol...it was this way b4 and after the alignment. I've never had the steering wheel taken off during my ownership

wht240sx
12-18-2008, 04:02 PM
If your steering wheel is off center after they adjusted everything, sounds like you got a crappy alignment. take it back a complain, they will be forced to fix it. where did u get it done???

veeates36
12-18-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm not trying to thread jack but can anyone tell me more about this TSB Spring issue..? Thank you

s13pignose
12-18-2008, 04:26 PM
No prob..think slider2828 made a thread for it...search for threads under his name...I seen a couple threads on that topic and pretty sure he posted in em. If not his sig and avatar looks very familiar lol

brett-hancock
12-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Man what you need to do is go back to the place that aligned it, if it's a tire shop, tell em what it's doin (by the way it's prolly 90% tires - 10% alignment thats causin it) buy new tires get em mounted an balanced, then nicely ask them if they could put it back on the rack an check everything over!
EDIT: Also if they say they cant align it because of your aftermarket wheels, you should find some tires for your stock wheels that are exactly the same height as your aftermarkets. Mount those up, then they should have no problem!!! But if you do this, it's essential to make sure that the tires on the stockers are the exact same height as the ones on your aftermarkets!!!

veeates36
12-18-2008, 04:56 PM
No prob..think slider2828 made a thread for it...search for threads under his name...I seen a couple threads on that topic and pretty sure he posted in em. If not his sig and avatar looks very familiar lol

Will do, thank you very much.

s13pignose
12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Man what you need to do is go back to the place that aligned it, if it's a tire shop, tell em what it's doin (by the way it's prolly 90% tires - 10% alignment thats causin it) buy new tires get em mounted an balanced, then nicely ask them if they could put it back on the rack an check everything over!

Yeah plan to get tires from em then mounted and balanced. try to keep it all at one place and explain my problem hopefully they can point me in the right direction

S14DB
12-18-2008, 05:12 PM
What is your Toe and Caster after you got it aligned?

ixfxi
12-18-2008, 07:30 PM
first of all, you should know your alignment specs. if you havent aligned the car, you should have that done and keep them with your records. so get that out of the way if you havent already done so.

second, i am going to say that its a matter of balancing. rebalance the front wheels, thats where your problem is unless you have warped rotors or some other issue.

i changed the steering rack spring, i remember it being an easy fix and helping, but ultimately the problem is tire balancing.

ps: dont drive on your belts, its not good for your health or anyone else on the road.

s13pignose
12-18-2008, 08:19 PM
To be honest I didn't get the specs back. Never thought of it..I just let them do what they do expecting them to try and get it as close to factory as possible.

This spring TSB is only for s13correct?

Also I got better tires on my stock wheels...they seem to have worn decently even but 2 out of the 4 have slight less tread height than the others..so I assume they were on the rear. Might try putting them on this weekend if dry out side and see if it makes a diff.

My tires on my 16x8's which I'm currently riding on are the ones of concerend lol. Looked at the fronts tonight, and tread height goes from high to low from left to right. And almost no tread on the right. Should also note the wheels currently on the front used to be in the back.

slider2828
12-18-2008, 08:47 PM
In general S13, but it doesn't work... Its bs...

s13pignose
12-18-2008, 10:34 PM
If your steering wheel is off center after they adjusted everything, sounds like you got a crappy alignment. take it back a complain, they will be forced to fix it. where did u get it done???

is this the only possibility..don't wanna go back point fingers and be wrong. Shop normally does good work

slider2828
12-18-2008, 10:59 PM
^^ Yes their alignment sucks redo!.... + They should have warranty on their alignment.

s13pignose
12-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Dang lol...alright gonna double check and see how my wheels line up with the steering wheel in the morn...if not right I'll take the car back to em

s13pignose
12-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Edit..i couldn't wait til morning cause this is annoying me too much.

Heres the thing with the wheel at 1' oclock the wheels are straight. Whether a 100% perfectly straight I dunno. I can postion the steering wheel at 12 o clock and the wheels will look straight too. I also tried shaking the steering wheel back and forth a lil to see how soon it responds to movement, and seems to be like a lil play or slack in it if you will but not much. Also the car seems to wanna relax if you will. in the 1 o'clock postion when I park the car...like its a natural setting for it or something.

I think I just need to go back and have em look at it, cause I know you gus can only offer but so much help without the car being infront of you.

Thanks

Mathetai
12-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Aftermarket wheels? Maybe you need hub-centric rings.

slider2828
12-18-2008, 11:47 PM
nissans are lug centric, so dun worry too much about hubcentric unless its really off....

Check your wheel bearings... I had a WHOLE thread on SHIMMies an exact way how you fix it.... look it up

s13pignose
12-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah saw that..thanks...I put on favorites.

Called manager at shop I went to...friend of family, and he said they got in spec the best they could with the tires I had. He said should be better when I get aligned after new tires.

So tires make that much of a difference. Hmmm.what about changing wheels. I know alot of you guys that drift throw different set of wheels with different tires on all the time. That doesn't change or throw off alignment?

I thought about getting my alignment done on the stock wheels with better tires, but thought it would be off as soon as I put my 16x8's on. Should you get your car aligned on the wheels you plan riding on the most, or is the condition of the tires more important

s13pignose
12-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Forgot..the steering wheel definitely likes to be in the 1 o clock position...coming to a stop and taking off the wheel actually moves to that position if I let go some. Theres tension when trying to keep it at 12 but soon as let up some it'll kinda pull my hand to 1 o clock. I'm doubting its brakes cause I've changed my break setup twice..rotors and all...and it has always done that

slider2828
12-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Yah my steering wheel is like that too... its weird.... I am thinking its just because the car is sensitive and roads are never not slanted I think because of rain and stuff. But I have really stiff suspension and all my arms change...

Yes your tires make a HUGE difference. COME ON.... its what is 1st contacting the road lol! it magnifies the importance of your car and tires when you have suspension and all the arm changes....

S14DB
12-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah saw that..thanks...I put on favorites.

Called manager at shop I went to...friend of family, and he said they got in spec the best they could with the tires I had. He said should be better when I get aligned after new tires.

So tires make that much of a difference. Hmmm.what about changing wheels. I know alot of you guys that drift throw different set of wheels with different tires on all the time. That doesn't change or throw off alignment?

I thought about getting my alignment done on the stock wheels with better tires, but thought it would be off as soon as I put my 16x8's on. Should you get your car aligned on the wheels you plan riding on the most, or is the condition of the tires more important
If your tires are severely worn it will affect how the car sits. It can make it difficult to align compared to tread that is square.

Also, if you have coils measure from the top of the wheel arch to the ground to make sure the car is level on all 4 corners.

s13pignose
12-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Nah got springs. Yeah just gotta save up for tires, and then get down to the bottom of this. I never really realized how much I want my cars handle atat it's best til these issues. I don't even track it lol. Just like the car to feel sporty I guess.

Bigsyke
12-19-2008, 08:44 PM
the spring/tensioner in ANY rack wont cause a shimmy, it may make it more noticible. I took mine out a threw it away, no shimmy untill now.

I recently changed my steering coupler, however when reinstalling my rack, I dont believe it is now perfectly flush with the brackets, it may be clocked a few degrees.

A very loose FLCA ball joint could cause a shimm.

s13pignose
12-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey just remembered..I doubt I hurt anything but

When I got the tie rods in the mail...the inners ball joints would pivot/ move around when I tried to do it by hand. SO I put the square ball joint end on the floor and held that end down with my foot, and pulled up on the rod it self and it started moving. Didn't take a whole lot of force, but it was easier than when I tried doing it with just my hands

I didn't mess anything up did I ..I was like they should move anyway where there on the car...after all it's a ball joint. The outer ends joints were easier to move though.

I say all of this cause I hate think I messed em up and have myself to blame for my off alignment..I think it might just be a lil paranoid though lol