PDA

View Full Version : Missing coolant/oil....hrmmmmmmmmm

jspaeth
12-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Hi all, I just realized it's been literally months since I've been on here.

I usually change oil every 3000-4000 miles or so. Typically, I end up putting in around 3-3.25 quarts or so....this is on an SR20.

This past time, when I drained the oil, I only got out MAYBE 2.25-2.5 quarts.....also,I added about maybe 0.5 quart since last time.

Also, I find that the coolant level is sometimes low in my radiator....not quite down to the metal, but maybe halfway from the top of the metal to where the lid goes......and I have NO water in the overflow.

So my question is, where is the oil and coolant going? It's not in my catchcan/intercooler, so hmmmm.

I should note that I NEVER, EVER see white or blue smoke or smell oil or coolant. Even when beating on it, I never see anything come out the back.

....that being said, there is no water in the oil or vice versa, when I change them, so the only other thing i could think of is that it's gotta be getting into the cylinders A LITTLE BIT........compression tests are GREAT....155 or so across all 4.

My "theory" is that maybe when I really get on it hard, there is some minor head lift that is causing small amounts of oil or coolant to get into the combustion chambers.....not enough where I can SEE it coming out the tailpipe, but enough that over a few months, it causes the levels to go down a bit.

Is this plausible?

LA_phantom_240
12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi all, I just realized it's been literally months since I've been on here.

I usually change oil every 3000-4000 miles or so. Typically, I end up putting in around 3-3.25 quarts or so....this is on an SR20.

This past time, when I drained the oil, I only got out MAYBE 2.25-2.5 quarts.....also,I added about maybe 0.5 quart since last time.

Also, I find that the coolant level is sometimes low in my radiator....not quite down to the metal, but maybe halfway from the top of the metal to where the lid goes......and I have NO water in the overflow.

So my question is, where is the oil and coolant going? It's not in my catchcan/intercooler, so hmmmm.

I should note that I NEVER, EVER see white or blue smoke or smell oil or coolant. Even when beating on it, I never see anything come out the back.

....that being said, there is no water in the oil or vice versa, when I change them, so the only other thing i could think of is that it's gotta be getting into the cylinders A LITTLE BIT........compression tests are GREAT....155 or so across all 4.

My "theory" is that maybe when I really get on it hard, there is some minor head lift that is causing small amounts of oil or coolant to get into the combustion chambers.....not enough where I can SEE it coming out the tailpipe, but enough that over a few months, it causes the levels to go down a bit.

Is this plausible?

Possible. Stock boost?

My KA had a very slight leak in the HG, and exhibited those same symptoms.

jspaeth
12-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Um not quite stock....GT2871R with all the upgrades stock HG, stock cams, stock IM, pushing roughly 17 psi or so and ~320 whp or so.

LA_phantom_240
12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Um not quite stock....GT2871R with all the upgrades stock HG, stock cams, stock IM, pushing roughly 17 psi or so and ~320 whp or so.

Stock style studs? Only 320hp on 17psi? Something's up lol. But yeah, lifting is a good possibility.

w0nderbr3ad
12-14-2008, 08:26 PM
I have the same oil symptoms on my KA except my coolant stays the same level.

racepar1
12-14-2008, 08:36 PM
The oil consumption is most likely because of a worn oil control ring or slightly leaky valvestem seals. The oil control ring on the piston can leak a small amount of oil into the cylinder without affecting the compression. The valvestem seals would leak when you let off the gas suddenly and the engine builds vacuum, it would let out a small puff of blue smoke. Everybody that says that they have a "slightly blown headgasket" is full of shit. Headgaskets don't blow just slightly, they are either good or bad and when they go bad there is nothing slight about it. You most likely have a very small external coolant leak somewhere, probably something as simple as a slightly loose clamp. I have also seen it where the coolant sloshes out of the coolant resovoir slowly. "Head lift" is also extremely unlikely. If you did have head lift it would not just be a slight problem, it would be an obvious one.

LA_phantom_240
12-14-2008, 10:26 PM
The oil consumption is most likely because of a worn oil control ring or slightly leaky valvestem seals. The oil control ring on the piston can leak a small amount of oil into the cylinder without affecting the compression. The valvestem seals would leak when you let off the gas suddenly and the engine builds vacuum, it would let out a small puff of blue smoke. Everybody that says that they have a "slightly blown headgasket" is full of shit. Headgaskets don't blow just slightly, they are either good or bad and when they go bad there is nothing slight about it. You most likely have a very small external coolant leak somewhere, probably something as simple as a slightly loose clamp. I have also seen it where the coolant sloshes out of the coolant resovoir slowly. "Head lift" is also extremely unlikely. If you did have head lift it would not just be a slight problem, it would be an obvious one.

Seems I stand corrected :D

jspaeth
12-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Ok, thanks....I am like 99% sure there is no coolant leak externally, but as for your explanation on the oil, I am sure that's all possible.

^ Why do you say "that's all" for 320 whp off of 17 psi? That's pretty standard for stock cams, intake mani, and exhaust mani..