PDA

View Full Version : e85 and sr20DET

handinpants
12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Is it safe to run e85 on a sr20DET which its pretty much stock except for t28 turbo 550cc injectors, Z32 maf, FMic, jim wolf ecu,
I heard e85 is good on turbo cars.

4x4le
12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I run e-85 on my sr and love it. There are a few things to consider though. You want to make sure your fuel pump is going to be compatible with the fuel as well as your injectors and your fuel pressure regulator. As a precaution I would replace your fuel lines, the new ones at a parts store will not only be more resistant to the alchol but be in new good shape. Replace your gas cap unless your positive it wont let vapors out. You also want to replace your fuel filter with a new one. What will happen if you use the same filter you used for gas is it will start to clean the filter making it clog itself back again, sounds dumb I know but it will happen. Also make sure you have no fuel leaks or injector leaks and that the injector rings are in good shape.

Lastly your going to need a tune, preferable a custom one. I would just trust a commercial tune to handle it and your tune you currently have (if it works with gas) will not work with e-85. Do not just turn up your fuel pressure regulator like some people say to, with the fuel being such high octain you need to advance your timing some in order to take advantage of it, otherwise your not really getting your moneys worth.

Also a big thing to remember is no open crank case ventilation! Any blow by of the e-85 will be in a vapor state, not a liquid state like gas. The gas will just stay in your oil, e-85 wants to be sucked back into your motor through pcv which is a good thing. Rout your hose off the valve cover back to your turbo inlet. If you have open pcv your creating a bad situation where there is a power fuel vapor in the hot engine bay waiting for a spark! When I was first experimenting with e-85 I actually shot a fire ball up in the air when I had my dipstick pop out. I now have a threaded collar on the dip stick tube with a threaded cap with teflon tape holding it down.

e-85 is a great fuel, but its most important to keep safe. It makes hard to put out fires so you really want to be safe! Im kinda glad a bunch of people didnt just come in here and say, yea go for it! put some in and tell us how it is! If you just put e-85 in your gas tuned car its going to run really lean, and get hot and probably cause detenation or catch fire.