PDA

View Full Version : S14 window issue

LA_phantom_240
12-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Hey everyone, my S14 started a new problem today. My passenger side window won't roll down. The window wasn't sluggish or anything... well no more sluggish than it should be for a 13 year old car. When I hit the button, I hear just one small click, and the next time I hit the button I don't hear anything. I can only hear it with the car off. The only thing I've messed with is my door speaker, and I'm worried I may have damaged something with the screw going too far or something. Is there anything behind the speaker I need to worry about?

Thanks guys.

idlafie
12-03-2008, 11:46 AM
What year is your S14?? 95-96 or 97-98?? If I recall correctly the 95-96 have issues with the window amplifiers, (see your factory service manual for further), going bad. That could be the cause of your problem.

Also check the motor on your window to see if it's not burn out, (doesn't happen often but it does happen). You'll have to run 12 volts directly to the motor to test it.

The only concern you should have with a too long of a screw is if it's so long that it touches the window while it's in the down position. But if that were the case you would have scratched or broken the window by now. Nissan usually runs the wires for the power window & door locks on a loom that is fastened to the door frame away from the speakers.

Anyhow, hope this helps...

ID

projectRDM
12-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Only 95s had external amplifiers, and only for the driver side. If the passenger side is dead it's 99% of the time the motor. The speaker mounting location is nowhere near the motor or regulator, if you did run a long screw into something it would have to be really long, like stupid looking.

Pull the motor (or just unplug it from the harness) and hook it straight to a 12V drill battery. You'll get your answer.

OBEEWON
12-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey, external amps on 95's you say? My windows were going in and out intermittently. Now its stopped all together? Can the amp be repaired? Where can a new one be sourced? Am I going to get any taller? Thanks.

chituntang
12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Those amps went out in a long time. Happened to me before. It worked intermittently for about half a year before it complete stop working.

S14TEENZ
12-03-2008, 12:48 PM
i have some amps i would sell if interested lmk???

but u better find out what actually wrong with it first...

jmac636
12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
projectrdm hit the nail on the head. Find the fsm for your car on 240edge.com then check your fuse, your wiring connections, check the switch and then test your motor by applying 12 volts. Or you could first just check your motor to save some time.

projectRDM
12-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey, external amps on 95's you say? My windows were going in and out intermittently. Now its stopped all together? Can the amp be repaired? Where can a new one be sourced? Am I going to get any taller? Thanks.

Correct. The external amplifier was only used on 1995 models and only drives the driver side motor. Anyone who tells you an amp replacement will fix a passenger side window on a 95 or either window a 96-98 model is lying. Kick them in the teeth. A new amp is about $60 at the dealer.

The same amp also is used on 89-94 models as well as first generation G20s and Q45s.

LA_phantom_240
12-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I think it's just my switch going out due to a cold solder joint. Pulled the switch on the passenger's side, cursed at it, cleaned the terminals and plugged it back in and low and behold it works again. I dunno, it was probably something stupid, but it works so I'm happy.

kid270r
12-04-2008, 01:19 AM
you might want to check your fuseable link inside your fuse box in your engine bay. i believe its a green 25 amp fuse. it can also cause the windows and sunroof to stop working.

OBEEWON
12-04-2008, 05:36 AM
DoubleelbouD

OBEEWON
12-04-2008, 05:37 AM
Gonna go check as soon as I can. I can hear it clicking when i flip the switch. Does that sound like the amp isnt working?

LA_phantom_240
12-04-2008, 06:36 AM
That or the motor.

DaPCWiz
12-04-2008, 07:23 AM
lol. Reminds me of an issue my buddy had. We even took apart the door and everything to check for the problem and couldn't find any issues with anything. Then he realized that he had just hit the window lock button by accident. so yeah check your window lock, LOL.

blueshark123
12-04-2008, 07:29 AM
lol. Reminds me of an issue my buddy had. We even took apart the door and everything to check for the problem and couldn't find any issues with anything. Then he realized that he had just hit the window lock button by accident. so yeah check your window lock, LOL.

haha yea that happens ....:duh:

projectRDM
12-04-2008, 09:00 AM
you might want to check your fuseable link inside your fuse box in your engine bay. i believe its a green 25 amp fuse. it can also cause the windows and sunroof to stop working.

That would have absolutely nothing to do with only one window not working. Try to stay on point if you're going to bother to offer help.

Gonna go check as soon as I can. I can hear it clicking when i flip the switch. Does that sound like the amp isnt working?

If both windows are erratic the amplifier would not be the culprit, as I stated it only drives the driver side window. The passenger would not see any effects from a bad amp and would work fine even if the amp was burned up. If it's only the driver side then it's likely it is the amp, but as always test the motor itself before making a decision. I've sold a lot of amps to people who came back calling me a thief because the amp was 'bad', when all along it was the motor that didn't work. Replacing a good part with another good part won't fix the bad part, no matter how bad you want it to do so.

EDacIouSX
12-04-2008, 09:02 AM
I think it's just my switch going out due to a cold solder joint. Pulled the switch on the passenger's side, cursed at it, cleaned the terminals and plugged it back in and low and behold it works again. I dunno, it was probably something stupid, but it works so I'm happy.

i was going to say if its not plugged in all the way it won't work. i believe it works on a closed circuit, meaning both passenger and driver has to be plugged in in order to work. at least on my car i know both sides had to be plugged in for windows to roll down...

projectRDM
12-04-2008, 09:07 AM
i was going to say if its not plugged in all the way it won't work. i believe it works on a closed circuit, meaning both passenger and driver has to be plugged in in order to work. at least on my car i know both sides had to be plugged in for windows to roll down...

Correct. I've even seen switches that work in one car, but not another. Over 10 years ago I diagnosed a problem where the passenger side window didn't work in a friend's car, we swapped switches and fixed it. His switch worked in my car but not his, whereas mine worked in both cars. Random weird shit that you can't explain.

OBEEWON
12-04-2008, 10:12 AM
If both windows are erratic the amplifier would not be the culprit, as I stated it only drives the driver side window. The passenger would not see any effects from a bad amp and would work fine even if the amp was burned up. If it's only the driver side then it's likely it is the amp, but as always test the motor itself before making a decision. I've sold a lot of amps to people who came back calling me a thief because the amp was 'bad', when all along it was the motor that didn't work. Replacing a good part with another good part won't fix the bad part, no matter how bad you want it to do so.

Yeah, its only the drivers on my 95, it was the passenger on my 96 and it makes a crazy noise, but the 96 got stolen so that solves that problem.

rotation3x
12-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I took the window amp apart on mine and soldered a piece of wire in place where it burned out on the board, works just fine.

kid270r
12-04-2008, 12:57 PM
[quote=projectRDM;2487799]That would have absolutely nothing to do with only one window not working. Try to stay on point if you're going to bother to offer help.

im mearly tellin the guy it could be an option to check out. dont be tellin me to be on point. not like you know whats wrong with the situation either. just cause im not talking about the window amp, im not on point? oh please, and just for your information, the fusible carries an FL 25A 9p/window) fuse! so it can most deffinatley cause the a window and the sunroof to not work. i ran into that problem three months ago. if you dont like my suggestions, then keep shut and think "what a dumbass"... rather than posting wanna be wise comments trying to keep us on "point". good day

projectRDM
12-04-2008, 02:56 PM
im mearly tellin the guy it could be an option to check out. dont be tellin me to be on point. not like you know whats wrong with the situation either. just cause im not talking about the window amp, im not on point? oh please, and just for your information, the fusible carries an FL 25A 9p/window) fuse! so it can most deffinatley cause the a window and the sunroof to not work. i ran into that problem three months ago. if you dont like my suggestions, then keep shut and think "what a dumbass"... rather than posting wanna be wise comments trying to keep us on "point". good day

Fuck off troll. The fuse in question power BOTH windows as well as the sunroof. If all three quit working, you'd be right. Nowhere in this thread has anyone stated that, the whole scenario has been one window only being defective. Your suggestions are pointless.

Why not suggest changing his oil too, that may fix the window problem.

Learn how to quote a post too if you're going to call someone out. Right now you just look like the idiot you are.

kid270r
12-04-2008, 04:16 PM
troll?? ha ha thats the best your over the hill ass can come up with? stop comming off like a prick with people and mabe youd get some respect. i never stated my method was correct. just somthing for him to keep in mind. so fuck off... and your stating how i replied to your quote? sorry, didnt know there was a certain way to start an internet battle..lol.. dude grow up and go your way and ill go mine.. the only one looking like an idiot is you...instead of bitchin.. this guy should be getting his help. :cool:

LA_phantom_240
12-04-2008, 05:44 PM
troll?? ha ha thats the best your over the hill ass can come up with? stop comming off like a prick with people and mabe youd get some respect. i never stated my method was correct. just somthing for him to keep in mind. so fuck off... and your stating how i replied to your quote? sorry, didnt know there was a certain way to start an internet battle..lol.. dude grow up and go your way and ill go mine.. the only one looking like an idiot is you...instead of bitchin.. this guy should be getting his help. :cool:

Kid, quit acting like a kid. I personally respect ProjectRDM because he's been very helpful to me in the past, and knows his shit better than 90% of the members here hands down.

As for this thread, I'm not going to let it turn into more of a shitfest than it has already become. Problem solved, and all useful information posted, I see no more need for this thread to be opened. Thanks guys, I'm sure that this thread will be off assistance to fellow current and future zilvians.

/thread