PDA

View Full Version : KA Dead- Won't Start ('95 s14)

indysilvia
02-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Ok, just out of the blue: I pull in to a gas staion to fill up. Go inside to pay, come back out and the car won't start.

I turn the key to "start" and nothing happens. Starter doesn't even try to turn over. All the electrical stuff still works: radio, climate control..etc; I can hear the fuel pump come on. It's basically like, if you try and start your car without pusing in the clutch -- this is what it reminds me of.

When I turn the key to "Start" I don't hear anything at all, the clock on the gauge cluster goes blank for a second like usual, then the buzzer starts going to let me know my keys are still in the igniton (Do you think that means that the ECU "thinks" I just got done turning off the engine?

Anyways, I am ****ed because this happened out of nowhere. No mechanical or electrifcal troubles in the last 5 or so months I 've had the car. And it cost me a pretty penny to get towed back to my apt.

I checked every single fuse, both in the interior panel by the dead pedal, and under the hood, and they were all fine. Any ideas on what else I should check?

As soon as I can borrow a flashlight tonight , I'm gonna see if the ECU threw any more codes (already have a CEL because of bad rear O2 sensor).

SR240DET
02-09-2003, 05:02 PM
so.. it doesnt turn over at all? same thing happend to me.. my starter was bad.. so i went to auto zone.. and got a rebuilt starter for it... installation was simple.... i have a 95 also...

good luck.. :)

PROJECT240SX
02-09-2003, 05:15 PM
How are the lights? Are they dim? or bright? Have you tried another battery? Or try testing your starter. Thank you.

Ivan
www.HypnoticPerformance.com

indysilvia
02-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Lights are fine...both Hi and Lo beams look normal. Tried jump-starting to no avail.

I checked my ECU, and no new codes. We tried jump-starting it just to be stupid (it didn't work :) ), but while we did this, we heard a relay clicking from under the fuse box in the engine bay. I don't know if that is normal or not??

If it is my starter motor that suddenly failed, is there anyway to verify this?

indysilvia
02-09-2003, 05:55 PM
I am reading through my Chilton's and it says that if voltage across the + and - terminals of the battery drops below 11.5V while trying to start, there is "high resistance in the starting system." Is this bad or good? In other words, if I do see the Voltage drop below 11.5V, then my starter is funky?

Thanks for all the help so far

Natty
02-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by indysilvia

If it is my starter motor that suddenly failed, is there anyway to verify this?
Yeah, push start (compression start) it. Or get a friend to tap the starter solenoidn with a hammer.

Basically, it could be the starter. The two parts on it that normally fail are the solenoind or the motor. The soleniod gets flat spots, so it may start sometimes. Get a new starter.

There is also the clutch interlock relay or the starter solenoid near the battery. About $15.

Make sure when you hodl the clutch down, it "trips" the safety switch.

Also, make sure the cables are in good shape. It need alot of voltage, so resistance hurts it. You battery could also do bad if it is under 30 degrees F.

Jeff

indysilvia
02-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Ok, I was all set to bust out a little mulimeter action to see what I could find, but I couldn't reach the starter wires from underneath the car (I don't have a floorjack/jackstands where I am right now).

So...I tried banging on the starter motor with a hammer like was suggested and...It started right up!! Turned it off, and it restarted again...did that a few times and it restarted every time.

So, now, my questions are:
1) Why did I have to bang on the starter motor?
2) And why would it suddenly die at the gas station in the first place?
3) What precautionary measures, or what components should I check out further on the car to prevent this from happening in the future?

DuffMan
02-10-2003, 03:33 PM
I believe when that happens it means the solenoid is going bad. I could be wrong on that, but either way, the starter will probably need to be replaced.

Banging on it might fix it a couple times, but it will probably strand you again soon.

Apparition
02-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Check the ground cable coming from your battery. For some reason, that's what went bad on me on New Years eve. Pull in for dinner, no problem. Go out to start it, and no dice.

Keep clicking the ignition, might be a bad spot in the starter.

Natty
02-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Like I said, if it starts when you hit it, it is a bad "spot" on the starter solenoid or amature wires.
Now, you can rebuild it or just get a new one. Don't be surprised if it goes out on you if you push it off for too long though.
Jeff

indysilvia
02-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Tried to start the car again tonight...dead. Banged on the starter, fired right up.

Also, I measured the Voltage across the +/- terminals of the battery, and it dropped from 12V to 10.3V while the starter was cranking.

So I guess I am just going to replace the starter motor. Is the starter solenoid integrated into the starter motor, or do I need to purchase that in addition to a rebuilt starter motor?

Roly
02-10-2003, 09:40 PM
The starter and solenoid are included as one.. I just went to Pep Boys and paid $129 for a lifetime warranty starter. So far it's been all good for about 6months now.

mrmephistopheles
02-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Go buy a new starter. 2 bolts and a wiring connector or two and you're set.