PDA

View Full Version : how to adjust timing gismo?

240meowth
12-02-2008, 12:24 AM
So i'm pretty clueless about timing. i took my car to get smogged and the guy said my timing was on the boarder line of being off. so my question is, how complicated is timing on the ka24de and how much does it cost to get it done? and what do i ask for when i go to a shop, so i don't look like an idiot.

wgJoY
12-02-2008, 12:33 AM
ohhhhhhh man.

It really is not that bad. I literally just set my timing last night. You wanna do it yourself or have someone do it for you? You can easily do it yourself. Just take off the timing chain and valve covers, take of the cam sprockets and one of the cam gears, then.. just play with it till you get it all lined up. That's what i did.

Well, do you have an FSM? It guides you through it step by step if you want to do it.

But anyways, on the upper timing chain, there is a gold splotch of paint, and two dark blue ish blackish purple ish splotches. The gold splotch, (when the motor is cranked to TDC) should align with a knick on the Idler Sprocket. the two dark colored splotches align with the two cam gears, (both cam gears have a lil dot located on the outside of them)

The fitment of the cams may not rest flush with the head, but just put pressure on the lifters and you'll be able to get the cam's aligned perfectly.

Or if you just wanna go to a shop and get it done like you posted.. just ask to correct the timing. Not much you really need to say other than that. Just that it is a little off and needs adjusting.

Hope this helps.

smurfgcr
12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
its a good investment just to buy a timing light. im sure there are good instructions/write-ups on how to time your car out there. its just ignition timing right? the chain didnt jump a tooth on the gear or anything?

babowc
12-02-2008, 01:13 AM
ohhhhhhh man.

It really is not that bad. I literally just set my timing last night. You wanna do it yourself or have someone do it for you? You can easily do it yourself. Just take off the timing chain and valve covers, take of the cam sprockets and one of the cam gears, then.. just play with it till you get it all lined up. That's what i did.

lol wow...
you really wanna do that with your mech. timing..

96Turbo
12-02-2008, 01:15 AM
yea, i think he means it just needs to be adjusted (with timing light), not that the chain itself has jumped a tooth.

download an FSM for your car, and there will be a whole walk through on how to do it. Or hell, you could probably spend 5 minutes with a search engine and have an answer

Let me google that for you (http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=how+to+adjust+timing+on+ka24de)

silly_13
12-02-2008, 01:20 AM
^^^ lol u always have the "let me google that for you" link hahahah thats funny and very helpful of u

wgJoY
12-02-2008, 01:28 AM
lol wow...
you really wanna do that with your mech. timing..

I really don't see a problem with doing it yourself lol. I'm sure many people have done it by themselves before, and had no problems. Assuming if they did it properly of course.

96Turbo
12-02-2008, 01:30 AM
^^^ lol u always have the "let me google that for you" link hahahah thats funny and very helpful of u

it would be more helpful if people got the hint and started searching for themselves.....but oh well

projectRDM
12-02-2008, 09:33 AM
ohhhhhhh man.

It really is not that bad. I literally just set my timing last night....................*snip*

You so fail. Cam timing and ignition timing are two completely different things. If the car fails smog, it's ignition timing that's off. Resetting the cams would do nothing except waste a few hours.

Grimsta
12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
/\/\ Exactly, but the way you can tell if your cam timing is off is if you max out your dist. adjustment and its still not in spec, then its time to adjust the cams. BUT with that said, if you've never opened up the motor, just pull out a light check it out and turn the distributor accordingly. Its quite easy. Just remember to tighten down the distributor's bolt afterwards

murda-c
12-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I just fail to see how your cam gears would jump a tooth unless you had some major issue like running the car without oil or something like that.