PDA

View Full Version : Horn problems, I'm stumped

SteveP
11-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Ok, so my horn stopped working a couple months ago, and I need to fix it so I can pass inspection this month (haha, yeah I waited too long). It originally stopped working when I tried to install aftermarket horns. I couldn't get the aftermarket ones to work, so I put the stock one back on and now that doesn't work either.

I hooked the horn up directly to the battery and it honked, so I know the horn itself isn't bad. I replaced the horn relay and nothing happened. I checked the connections at the steering wheel and everything looked right. However, the cruise control stopped working at the same time as the horn, so I still think it is something to do with the steering wheel.

The thing is, I don't know why something in the steering wheel would have messed up when all I did was take the stock horn off, put an aftermarket one on, and then replace it again with the stock one.

I'm out of ideas. Free handjob to whoever figures it out.

sidewayz240
11-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Fuse?

lngth

SteveP
11-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Fuse?

I checked it and its good, unless there is another one that I don't know about...

projectRDM
11-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Check all fuses. The horn relay has a fuse but the ASCD switch is legged off another circuit, so the button wouldn't work if it was blown. Also check for continuity between the horn ring (S13) or the spiral cable (S14) to see if the ground trigger is going through to the relay.

chuy
11-28-2008, 07:41 PM
throw it on a switch

SteveP
11-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Check all fuses. The horn relay has a fuse but the ASCD switch is legged off another circuit, so the button wouldn't work if it was blown. Also check for continuity between the horn ring (S13) or the spiral cable (S14) to see if the ground trigger is going through to the relay.
I checked all of the fuses, every one in the car, and they were good. How exactly do I check for continuity on the spiral cable?

throw it on a switch
What do you mean? Like wire the horn up to a separate switch so that it honks when I flip it? How would I do that?

g6civcx
11-28-2008, 09:14 PM
What car? Year/make/model, please.

SteveP
11-28-2008, 09:20 PM
What car? Year/make/model, please.
1998 240sx

SteveP
11-29-2008, 03:24 PM
anyone...?